+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What's on your summer reading list?

Wow, that's an amazing list, KarateGirl1387! Many of the books mentioned are old favourites of mine. The Handmaid's Tale is one of the best novels I've ever read, and I know several FORTers who will back me up on that one.

My summer reading is coming along nicely. Not all that surprising, since I spend most of my time sprawled out in the sun, reading. At the moment, I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King - the complete, unedited version. Apocalyptic, gory, and poignant - I love it! I read the abridged version as a teenager, so I'm really enjoying reacquainting myself with the story and characters. It's frickin' huge, though: 1135 pages!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateGirl1387 View Post
    Wow, all these books are fantastic reads! (Well, at least the titles I recognize, hehe.) I've already read 7 books so far this summer, but here's the whole list:

1. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
    2. The Bronze Horseman (Paullina Simons)
    3. The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)
    4. And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie)
    5. The Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis)
    6. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
    7. Brave New World (Aldrous Huxley)
    8. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck) - *Currently reading*
    9. Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)
    10. Watership Down (Richard Adams)
    11. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
    12. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
    13. The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
    14. Lust For Life (Irving Stone)
    15. Roots (Alex Haley)
    16. Peter Pan (J.M. Barrie)

Glad to see someone else digging into The Good Earth. I read this over spring break and thought it was fantastic. Highly recommend it.

Anita Shreve was also mentioned earlier in this thread. I've read the Pilot's Wife, December Wedding and Resistance and enjoyed them all. I've started Sea Glass but have been reading other things instead (currently the Glass Castle).

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    Oh, indeed! My senior English teacher actually recommended 'The Handmaid's Tale' to me and I think I'll be reading that one next. Obsession57, I'm really liking 'The Good Earth!' I'm halfway through it right now (I'm up to the point where Wang Lung is contemplating one of the tea house prostitutes) and hope to finish it soon.
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

I love new media
    Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell.

Seems like a really interesting one!

Re: What's on your summer reading list?

Methinks it's time to resurrect this thread. What will my fellow literature fiends be devouring over the next couple of months?

I haven't got my definite list sorted yet, but here are the books I've got lined up so far:
    • She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (re-read)
    • I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. Could be a rambling snooze fest from a dirty old man, could be good. I've heard both opinions.
    • On Mystic Lake and Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah. I recently read The Things We Do For Love and was pleasantly surprised. I expected cheese and predictability and sure, it's safe and snug and kind of predictable, but in a heart-warming, well-written way.
    • The last two Bosch novels, since I'm way behind on my Michael Connellys.
    • Insomnia by Stephen King, because no summer is complete without at least one King novel
    • Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier
    • The Sonnet Lover by Carol Goodman. This one hasn't been released yet, but I'm a huge fan of Goodman's literary suspense novels, so I'll be all over it on the release date.
    • The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfield. A crime novel starring Sigmund Freud, anyone? I'm a sucker for historical and or/cultural crime novels, so I'm looking forward to reading this.
    • The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub
    • The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfeld, since apparently I'm the last person on earth to read it.
    • Paint It Black by Janet Fitch. I doubt it's as good as White Oleander, but I still want to read it.
    • Blaze by Richard Bachman (of course)
    • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (again: of course. I can't believe it's the last one!)

I'll need some light entertainment, some non-fiction and a big old classic, then I'm all set for summer. Suggestions?
    Last edited by geek the girl; 06-08-2007 at 04:13 AM.

Geek, am I correct in thinking you're a Jasper Fforde fan? Because if so, a new Thursday Next book is also out in July.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

elk

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2433778;
    [*]Blaze by Richard Bachman (of course)
    GTG - there is a new Richard Bachman???? What can you tell me about it?

I am going to work on the "Mallory" series by Caroll O'Connell. As I mentioned in another thread, I inadvertantly started with the latest in the series; am now almost through the first one. The heroine is so different, a very disturbed young cop.

I am also lined up for "The Virgin Suicides" as I've heard really good things from the people here about it.

Mr. Elk, daughter Elk and I will be reading the new Harry Potter out loud together. I have "Born on a Blue Day" in my pile and I will continue to work through Jodi Picoult and whatever else my library can supply me with (in between watching Pirate Master, Big Brother and Canadian Idol, of course!).
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2433856;
    GTG - there is a new Richard Bachman???? What can you tell me about it?
    Yep, there is a new Richard Bachman out. Or, wait, that's not entirely true. For starters, it's not exactly new and second, it's not out just yet. It will be released on June 12, though, so it's just a few days away. This one's a special treat for all of us Constant Readers out there, because Blaze dates back to Stephen King's early days as the master of horror. I remember reading about it in one of his "dear Constant Reader"-prefaces and wondering why he never published it. Right after Carrie, the publishers were all over King about what his next project would be. At the time, he had two novels in the making: Blaze and a vampire novel called Second Coming. The publishers and King opted for the vampire novel, re-named it and Blaze was shoved aside up until now. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details - I can't tell you whether Blaze was rewritten or if it's an exact replica of the story he wrote back in 1973. I'm sure the official Stephen King web site will tell you.

The only books that I have lined up for my first summer trip to Utah are The Emperor in Ocean Park and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

I am taking a break from my MBA program for two months, so I am greatly looking forward to reading something other than an Economics textbook!!!

Geek, you're not the only one who hasn't read The Thirteenth Tale. I guess I need to make another trip to the bookstore.

I'm currently reading The Great Influenza by John Barry (truly scary stuff). Once that's finished I'm moving on to Stiff by Mary Roach and then probably Promise Me by Harlan Coben. After that I have to catch up on my Harry Potter before the next one arrives.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread