+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What's on your summer reading list?

CCL
    I'm adding The Accidental by Ali Smith on my summer reading list. Has anyone ever read her book Hotel World? Great, great book. She has such a unique writing style.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    I'm adding The Accidental by Ali Smith on my summer reading list. Has anyone ever read her book Hotel World? Great, great book. She has such a unique writing style.
    No, I haven't, but I've been meaning to ever since I came across Hotel World in a bookstore (unfortunately, I didn't buy it) a few years ago. Thanks for reminding me. Which one do you prefer?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL
    Geekthegirl: Haven't read The Accidental yet. Just saw it reviewed in the paper yesterday. Have put an order in for it. Hotel World is really good - I'd definitely recommend it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I read The Mermaid Chair by the same author as The Secret Life of Bees, which I'm rereading with my daughter who has it for summer reading. Mermaid wasn't as good as Bees IMHO. I'm currently reading The Time Travelor's Wife on loan from a friend. It is much slower going than most books with all the points of view, age differences, time differences, and philisophical adjustments. I can usually read a book in a day, but I have to keep putting this down while I mull things over.
    Count your blessings!

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince".
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness
    "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince".
    Oh, yeah, can't wait for this one!

I've started on Janet Evanovich's Eleven on Top and Dean Koontz' Velocity but haven't finished either. I've been pumping out Nora Roberts books instead. I don't know why; maybe I'm just trying to savor them.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Well, I'm two books in on the summer reading thing...all the ones I'm reading are on Forter recommendations, so I know who I'm comin' after if I hate the books *shakes fist*

I finished Mystic River and I'm pissed that I saw the movie before I read the book 'cause the ending was spoiled. I liked it much better than I expected...wouldn't mind reading more Lehane - can anyone recommend his other works?

Also finished The Red Tent which I absolutely loved. I got it from the library, but I think this one is worth a purchase. Just beautifully written and a joyful celebration of womenhood, in spite of - or maybe because of - the tragedy in it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I read The Mermaid Chair by the same author as The Secret Life of Bees, which I'm rereading with my daughter who has it for summer reading. Mermaid wasn't as good as Bees IMHO.
    I read Bees when it came out -- it seems a long time ago and I'm surprised every time I see it still on the best-seller list that it is still so popular.

I just finished Mermaid today, and it was a bit disturbing if anyone wants to discuss it.

Harry Poter and the Half Blood Prince!
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Well, I'm reading "The Man In The Basement" for the book club, but also reading "A Million Little Pieces" about a guy getting through his drug and alcohol addiction, from Oprah's Book Club. Both are great , and very different so far.
    Go Tigers!

+ Reply to Thread