+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What's on your summer reading list?

Quote Originally Posted by momof2dogs
    Great reading lists everyone! I love hearing that people besides me are out there reading Hardy and James! I have to agree that Jude the Obscure is one I can never re-read - it's lyrical but so dark, especially now that I have a son I just can't handle it. Just wanted to put in a plug for my favorite Hardy book, The Mayor of Casterbridge. I highly recommend it! I love Tess too.

My next two reads are going to be to reread Persuasion (Jane Austen) and to read 1776. So far I haven't been able to commit to 1776. Not the fault of the book. It's just been too heavy a topic for me with the beautiful weather calling outside.

I must be in the minority, but have no desire ever to read Running with Scissors again. I respect what the author went through, but I felt depressed and dirty after reading it.
    Did you see the TV adaptation of The Mayor of Casterbridge a few years ago, momof2dogs? It starred Ciarin Hinds (coincidentally, he was also in Persuasion) and Polly Walker. I thought it was quite well done.

Speaking of Persuasion - along with Pride and Prejudice, it's one of my favorites. I read it every few years and love it more every time! IMO, that movie adaptation was the best of the slew of Jane Austen films a while back.

You know, I think I would've felt that same way about Running With Scissors if Burroughs had been all "poor me" about it. His matter-of-fact style and the fact that he didn't telll it in the voice of a victim, kept me from feeling icky about it. Yes, it was definitely shocking in some places, but I admired the fact that he had the courage to tell it and with such humor.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Wow, CCL, these are the three main books on my "to read" list this summer.
    What can I say, Dinahann, great minds think alike.

A lot of people have mentioned James - I've never read any James. Hm, maybe I should look into picking up one of his works.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I went to the bookstore yesterday and got Lolita by Vladmir Nakobov and Demons (formerly The Possessed) by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I also found my old copy of Tolkien's The Silmarillion so I'll be reading that too. And now I'm really tempted to find Running with Scissors.
    Last edited by haejin; 06-21-2005 at 03:25 PM.
    Gustav Holst was right!

FORT Newbie
    i'm taking a summer english lit course, so i've been reading:

oscar wilde - the picture of dorian gray
    virginia woolf - orlando
    octavia butler - kindred

all great timeless novels!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    MICHEY - Running With Scissors isn't for those who are easily offended (just to let you know), but it is so compelling that I can't stop recommending it to people.
    Lord of the Rings is always a worthwhile way to spend your time! I've read the trilogy probably 6 times over the last 20 years or so. I love it more every time I read it. If you haven't read The Hobbit, I'd recommend reading that before you start the trilogy. It's a wonderful book and gives some back story about the Gollum, the Ring, Bilbo, Gandalf and Mirkwood Forest, which is where Legolas in the trilogy is from (his father is the king).
    Critical that makes the book (Running with Scissors) even more intriguing to me actually I'll let you know how I felt after I read it.

I was leaning towards the Lord of the Rings series, I think I will tackle them this summer.

Thanks...
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Did you see the TV adaptation of The Mayor of Casterbridge a few years ago, momof2dogs? It starred Ciarin Hinds (coincidentally, he was also in Persuasion) and Polly Walker. I thought it was quite well done.

Speaking of Persuasion - along with Pride and Prejudice, it's one of my favorites. I read it every few years and love it more every time! IMO, that movie adaptation was the best of the slew of Jane Austen films a while back.

You know, I think I would've felt that same way about Running With Scissors if Burroughs had been all "poor me" about it. His matter-of-fact style and the fact that he didn't telll it in the voice of a victim, kept me from feeling icky about it. Yes, it was definitely shocking in some places, but I admired the fact that he had the courage to tell it and with such humor.
    Hi Critical,

Thanks for the reply! I did see that Mayor of Casterbridge and liked it also! I love when they take the time to do those adaptations the right way. I recently saw a movie trailer for a new Pride and Prejudice starring Keira Knightley (is that her last name?) as Elizabeth. It was touted as "by the author of Emma and Sense and Sensibility" (because of course we wouldn't know who Jane Austen is as a writer, but we might have seen those earlier MOVIES). The whole thing ticked me off. First of all, there is no need to remake that book after the excellent BBC series. Who can ever replace Colin Firth as Darcy? Second, Keira Knightly is like 20 years old. MUCH too young. Typical Hollywood (unfortunately, I live there).

I hear you on Running with Scissors. The author was definitely very matter of fact about the whole story and, though you could tell he was bitter, he didn't invite self-pity. The ending was pretty upbeat in a weird way, as I recall. I have read other memoirs of difficult lives and not had a problem, so I don't know why that one left such a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it's just a personal thing from growing up as a kid in the 70's. Maybe it just reminded me of some adults I knew at that time (outside my immediate family) who were just so selfish, irresponsible, and left the kids around them to fend for themselves while they pursued completely ridiculous lifestyles. Anyway, once I read the book, I just felt like, "Well, I don't need to go there again. I won't be re-reading this one."

Anyway, always nice to hear from a fellow reader!
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    All the books I tried to read during the school year (other than the ones I had to read for school), but couldn't, either because I couldn't focus on it or because I didn't have enough time. Namely:

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (or Dostoyevsky? )
    The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
    1984 - George Orwell (reread, actually)
    Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
    Lord of the Flies - William Golding (inspired by "Battle Royale")
    All the comics in Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series
    I read "A Clockwork Orange" this past school year. I really enjoyed it. I read Lord of th Flies a few years ago, and enjoyed that one as well. It took a little while to get into, but definitely a good read.

My summer reading list for AP English IV is:
    The Color of Water
    The Great Divorce
    The Alchemist

Lah
    Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    All the books I tried to read during the school year (other than the ones I had to read for school), but couldn't, either because I couldn't focus on it or because I didn't have enough time. Namely:

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (or Dostoyevsky? )
    The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
    1984 - George Orwell (reread, actually)
    Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
    Lord of the Flies - William Golding (inspired by "Battle Royale")
    All the comics in Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series
    Good luck on the Henry James and the Eco. You'll need it.
    ETA: Well, perhaps you can take cold comfort in knowing that Foucault's Pendulum is, if nothing else, an easier read than The Name of the Rose.
    Last edited by Lah; 06-22-2005 at 02:59 PM.

momof2dogs - You're not alone in your opinions about the new P & P remake. Check out the thread in the Movies forum here! It seems that most think a) Colin Firth is the Darcy and b) Keira Knightly is going to tank as Lizzie. HATED the trailer for the new movie too.

colby_d - The Color of Water is fantastic! I know a woman who is white and adopted a black son. She recommended the book to me and I finished it in practially one sitting. That's a good summer reading list!

MICHEY - to reading LOTR! I love the movies, but the books are so much richer. I try to read them (after The Silmarillion and The Hobbit) about once a year. I never get tired of them

I'm making nice progress on my summer reading list! I finished Mystic River and the first two Harry Potters. I'm about 150 pages into Harry Potter 3. I also looked at my classics of Western thought anthology that contains both The Wealth of Nations and Leviathan. That part was so much easier than actually reading them Pom - I will report back after I finish Leviathan.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    - The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (Love his Thursday Next series. Here's a description of this book from Amazon:
    It’s Easter in Reading—a bad time for eggs—and no one can remember the last sunny day. Ovoid D-class nursery celebrity Humpty Stuyvesant Van Dumpty III, minor baronet, ex-convict, and former millionaire philanthropist, is found shattered to death beneath a wall in a shabby area of town. All the evidence points to his ex-wife, who has conveniently shot herself.
    But Detective Inspector Jack Spratt and his assistant Mary Mary remain unconvinced, a sentiment not shared with their superiors at the Reading Police Department, who are still smarting over their failure to convict the Three Pigs of murdering Mr. Wolff. Before long Jack and Mary find themselves grappling with a sinister plot involving cross-border money laundering, bullion smuggling, problems with beanstalks, titans seeking asylum, and the cut and thrust world of international chiropody.
    New Jasper Fforde! I may have a summer reading list after all!

I haven't been inspired to read anything new lately...I've just been rereading my Austen, mainly.

Critical and momof2dogs, what is this Running With Scissors all about? It sounds interesting.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread