+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What's on your summer reading list?

CCL
    Oh, Lucy, I misread your first post. The Big Over Easy is currently scheduled to come out on July 11 in Canada and July 21 in the US (though dates are subject to change, of course. But thereabouts).
    Last edited by CCL; 06-16-2005 at 10:04 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey
    I just checked out the book Common Ground by J. Anthony Lukas. It was published in 1986 and it is the story of how three Boston area families were affected by the forced busing of children in the 1970s.

I love non-fiction, and since I lived through that whole busing era as a child, it will be interesting to get an adult perspective on that piece of history.

I'll let you know how it is.

Well, I won't be reading nearly as many books as geek the girl, but I'd like to read Watership Down, A Wrinkle in Time, And Lord of the Flies. To get me in the right frame of mind for season 2 of "LOST".
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    I just checked out the book Common Ground by J. Anthony Lukas. It was published in 1986 and it is the story of how three Boston area families were affected by the forced busing of children in the 1970s.
    Pom! I was actually assigned that book in a college class. (which one, I'm not sure. ) I still have it around here somewhere. I vaguely recall it as being an interesting read. Although I have a feeling I might have wound up skimming it before an exam. So maybe instead of me telling you it's good, you should let ME know if it was.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Oh, Lucy, I misread your first post. The Big Over Easy is currently scheduled to come out on July 11 in Canada and July 21 in the US (though dates are subject to change, of course. But thereabouts).
    Wow, I'm marking my calendar! I love his Thursday Next series, and have lent the books out all over the place.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Critical I don't have a specific reading list for summer. But I do know of a few books that are coming out soon which I want to read. They are:

- The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

- Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich (the latest in the Stephanie Plum books. Good light reading. The first books in the series were better, so I'm hoping she's back on form with book 11).

- Harry Potter 5 - Of course!
    Wow, CCL, these are the three main books on my "to read" list this summer. I've already ordered Eleven on Top, and of course I'm waiting with much anticipation for the new Harry Potter. I didn't realize The Big Over Easy was coming out- I'm excited about it, since Jasper Fford is such an inventive writer.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Pom! I was actually assigned that book in a college class. (which one, I'm not sure. ) I still have it around here somewhere. I vaguely recall it as being an interesting read. Although I have a feeling I might have wound up skimming it before an exam. So maybe instead of me telling you it's good, you should let ME know if it was.
    Hey Luce! I had never even heard of it until my coworkers told me about it the other day. You see, it was published in 1986, the year I graduated from college, so I never heard it discussed on campus 'cause I was gone by then. I think I would have heard about it, too, because I went to a college in this area.

I moved away from the region and went to grad school and kept my head buried in science books, so I never did hear about Common Ground.

I LOVE non-fiction, especially when it pertains to people with whom and places with which I'm familiar.

I'm through only the first few chapters but I already am so familiar with everything they're discussing (parts of Boston, the suburbs, the political and social leaders at the time) that it really brings this history to life for me.

Of course, there's the added benefit of knowing that all those Boston Globe headlines and contentious, riotous scenes that I watched unfold on my parents' black and white TV screen will finally be explained to me in great detail.

I'm sure I'll love it.

Hey, speaking of required college reading, I quaked in my shoes when I saw that Critical is planning on re-reading Hobbes's Leviathan. YECHHH! I remember reading that in college for a Philosopy class. I got an "A" in the class but I have absolutely no recollection of any of what I had to read to do it.

So um, Critical, would you please tell me what Leviathan is about after you read it? Thanks!

So...I was looking for a "beach read", which for me is really a "pool read" and picked up a book called Around the World in 80 Dates. I'm not much of a chick-lit type fan, and even less a dater, but the catch on this book is that it's a true story of a journalist/PR person for travel guides who feels she is having a hard time finding her soul mate in London. So, she sets out on a trip around the world to find him...taking in 18 countries in 6 months. While I find the premise wrong on so many levels (I, for one, don't believe in soul mates, much less searching for one) I'm hoping that the book is at least entertaining and humorous. The back jacket's description of the datees is intriguing - Love Professor in Sweden, Dead Date in Italy, Penguin Ranger in Australia.

I'll keep ya'll posted - I figure it's either a dud or pretty funny.

All the books I tried to read during the school year (other than the ones I had to read for school), but couldn't, either because I couldn't focus on it or because I didn't have enough time. Namely:

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (or Dostoyevsky? )
    The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
    1984 - George Orwell (reread, actually)
    Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
    Lord of the Flies - William Golding (inspired by "Battle Royale")
    All the comics in Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series

And whatever else I see at the library or bookstore that looks interesting. Oh, and all the Harry Potter books (1-5) before July 16th!
    Gustav Holst was right!

Great reading lists everyone! I love hearing that people besides me are out there reading Hardy and James! I have to agree that Jude the Obscure is one I can never re-read - it's lyrical but so dark, especially now that I have a son I just can't handle it. Just wanted to put in a plug for my favorite Hardy book, The Mayor of Casterbridge. I highly recommend it! I love Tess too.

My next two reads are going to be to reread Persuasion (Jane Austen) and to read 1776. So far I haven't been able to commit to 1776. Not the fault of the book. It's just been too heavy a topic for me with the beautiful weather calling outside.

I must be in the minority, but have no desire ever to read Running with Scissors again. I respect what the author went through, but I felt depressed and dirty after reading it.
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

+ Reply to Thread