+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Dick Francis fans out there?

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar

Any Dick Francis fans out there?

I have all of his books. They're the kind of books I love to go back to after reading something heavy. For those who haven't read his stuff, Dick Francis used to be the Queen's Jockey - then turned into a crime/thriller writer, mostly to do with the horse racing world. I've been reading them for years... 27 years at least!!

I love Dick Francis. I got hooked on his books while living in England (where he is very popular). Unfortunately, I have decided to only buy novels secondhand and it is not easy to find his books secondhand here. I just can't afford new books.
    At this turning point in our relationship with Earth, we work for an evolution: from dominance to partnership; from fragmentation to connection; from insecurity, to interdependence. The David Suzuki Foundation

I've read every single Dick Francis book.

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charfred
    I love Dick Francis. I got hooked on his books while living in England (where he is very popular). Unfortunately, I have decided to only buy novels secondhand and it is not easy to find his books secondhand here. I just can't afford new books.
    I'm English myself (perhaps why I love reading his stuff - I also used to go to the races once a year during the Easter meets at Plumpton) - been living in the states for just 3 years...and I brought ALL my books with me! Couldn't bear to part with any of them. Have you tried Amazon with 2nd hand books, or Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia
    I'm English myself (perhaps why I love reading his stuff - I also used to go to the races once a year during the Easter meets at Plumpton) - been living in the states for just 3 years...and I brought ALL my books with me! Couldn't bear to part with any of them. Have you tried Amazon with 2nd hand books, or Ebay?
    Unfortunately, being in Canada, Amazon.ca and ebay.ca aren't quite as good as the American sites. I am slowly building up my collection though. I just keep my eyes open whenever I am in used book stores. I have to admit I didn't bring all my books back from England, but I did bring back my Dick Francis, my Agatha Christie and a few others. I love British authors/settings (Minette Walters, Maeve Binchy, Cathy Kelly, etc.). Maybe that is why I am with my husband, he was born and raised in Canada, but his Mom is English and his dad is Scottish and he has dual citizenship. I love the idea that we could move to England whenever we wanted.
    At this turning point in our relationship with Earth, we work for an evolution: from dominance to partnership; from fragmentation to connection; from insecurity, to interdependence. The David Suzuki Foundation

love them, love them all. Dick Francis books are among the few crime/mystery books that I can reread again and again...

Me too. I've read every single Dick Francis book at least once and some of them many times over. He's a wonderful writer and I'm disappointed that he is no longer writing. I looked forward to his newest novel every year. My understanding is that he and his wife were a "team" and that he didn't want to write another book without her. His last book was published after her death and I don't expect to see another one from him. Is that what the rest of you heard? I could be wrong but that's what I remember hearing at the time.

I especially liked his main characters and the fact that they all had "character". I rode horses for many years (riding, not racing) so also loved the inside scoop on the world of racing.

I read so many books (almost all mysteries and thrillers) that I stopped buying books years ago - couldn't afford it. Then when I could afford it I didn't have the room - I hate to get rid of a book and they were taking over the house! So now I get all of my books from the library.

I love Dick Francis!

+ Reply to Thread