+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Make a book recommendation

Make a book recommendation

I know there are lots of well-read people on the FORT. If youíre like me, you continually recommend a book (or books) to people, only to find that they donít ever actually read the book. This drives me crazy because I love discussing books I enjoy with other people.

The book I always recommend is Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt Ė kind of a religious, adventure-mystery (think a biblical DaVinci Code). I got a hold of a reading copy of it before it was released and instantly knew Iíd love it because of the cover Ė yes, sometimes you can judge a book by its cover! Iíve recommended it to at least a dozen people and only one has read it (and loved it, btw!).

SO, since I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves to tell other people what to read ...

Make a book recommendation!

Hey! I think I just made 100 posts!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL
    I made a quick trip to Amazon, Critical, and that Gospel book looks interesting. I'll have to consider purchasing it.
    I don't tend to recommend books to others (mainly because noone listens to me ) but an exception would be the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde which I actively recommend to others. Hard to summarize but basically a literary detective series that anyone with a deep love of fiction and the absurd will adore. I know there are a few Ffordeites on this forum as well. Another book I've palmed off on others is Juno & Juliet by Julian Gough which is about two twins and their first year of university in Galway, Ireland. Ok, that's not exactly a stirring description, but it's a really good book, trust me.

Congrats on the post milestone.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

LOVE the Thursday Next series CCL! I recommended them to a friend who was an English major in college and was so surprised that she didn't really get all of the references. I laughed and laughed ('cause I am a nerd!) through every one of them.

I went to Amazon and checked out Juno & Juliet - they have it used for $.01! How can that be right? I may have to order it for a penny... of course, shipping is probably $14.95
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Well DaVinci Code - of course is a "Must Read"...

I've also just received the book "Frankenstein" by Dean Koontz that was highly recommended to me; For "funsies" I enjoy the Sophie Kinsella "Shopaholic" series.

I'm always looking for good books to read, so I'm excited about this thread! I am very selective about what I read, and I enjoy a variety of genres. I'm struggling through a book right now "Kissing in Manhatten". Has anyone heard of it??
    To make a mistake is human, to stumble is commonplace, but to laugh at yourself...that is maturity

I am a HUGE fan of James Patterson (Alex Cross Series and Women's Murder Club Series), Patricia Cornwell (mostly her older Kay Scarpetta Series novels) and Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum Series). I highly recommend anything by them. They are all murder/mystery books.

Aside from those authors, two of my most favorite books that I have read are:

King Con (by Steven Cannell) and Derailed (by James Siegel).

King Con is a fictional novel about a bizarre crime family.

Derailed is a fantastic mystery with some of the best twists I've read in a long time. Beware, however - there is a VERY graphic rape scene that has actually stopped a few of my friends from finishing the book. Even if you just skim through it, skipping the gory details, the book is definitely worth it.

Oh - and I agree - DaVinci Code is a must read - and along the same lines of the DaVinci code is another great book by John Case called The Genesis Code.

That's all I can think of for now.
    "Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." John Lennon

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    For anyone fascinated with the Titanic legend....A Night to Remember by Walter Lord is an interesting read and a fascinating look into what happened the night the Titanic went down.

I am a fanatical reader - 3-4 books a week.

Let's see...some suggestions:

The Bone Vault - Linda Fairstein
    Dubliners - James Joyce
    The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
    Sick Puppy - Carl Hiaasen
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

An accessible but not unintelligent read that I would recommend to most people is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's a psychologically creepy, experimental novel, fun with footnotes, delightfully dark and scattered.

Another fanatical reader here. I love making book recommendations to people, and usually don't settle down until I've made sure the recommendee has dragged his or her butt to the bookstore. I guess you could say I'm on a mission

Here are a few books that I tend to recommend more often than others:

Timeless classics

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontŽ
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Great contemporary(ish) stuff

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
    Anything by Joyce Carol Oates
    Robber's Bride by Margaret Atwood
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
    Human Croquet or Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
    The Magus by John Fowles
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
    Any short story collection by Raymond Carver
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

For the crime novel fan

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
    Anything from Laurie R. King's Kate Martinelli series (what happened to those? Nowadays she's just publishing Mary Russell/Holmes books, and I do enjoy them as well, but I miss Kate)
    By The Pricking Of My Thumbs or The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
    The American Boy by Andrew Taylor (especially if you like Edgar Allan Poe, who is the American Boy the title alludes to.)
    Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta novels, especially the early ones
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

There are many great recommendations here. I'll echo what the others have said and add Margaret Atwood The Handmaid's Tale, Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha and Neil Gaiman Neverwhere. Actually, anything by Neil Gaiman is great - the man's a frickin' genius!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast