+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Make a book recommendation

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
    Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
    The Bondwoman's Narrative by Hannah Crafts, edited by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

ETA: One Hundred Years of Solitude- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Last edited by rt1ky; 06-17-2005 at 09:54 PM.

The secret lives of Bees is good
    Lonesome dove is excellent
    Man in the iron Mask by Dumas
    Les MisÚrables by Victor Hugo is really really good but super long
    The mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley is one of my favorites too
    there are just so many lol hard to pick just a few

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    There are many great recommendations here. I'll echo what the others have said and add Margaret Atwood The Handmaid's Tale, Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha and Neil Gaiman Neverwhere. Actually, anything by Neil Gaiman is great - the man's a frickin' genius!
    I loved Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman: such a believable landscape with great characters. It's a realistic-type fantasy story about a whole other civilization in London's Underground; it really makes you think twice when riding the subway.

Another great book by Margaret Atwood is Alias Grace. It's based on a true story about a maid who was convicted of killing her employer and his mistress. But, whether she's guilty or not was never really decided - there are hints of mental disorders, etc. It's a fascinating, deep, psychological thriller.

Re: Make a book recommendation

Wow, this is quite a bump! I didn't think this thread was quite this old when I went looking for it.

I was thinking about this thread because, once again, I recommended a book to someone YEARS ago and they still haven't read it. In this case, it was The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All by Allan Gurganus and the person in question is my mother. I recommended this book to her at least 10 years ago and actually bullied her into buying a copy of it at a used bookstore. I've suggested she take it on every vacation she's gone on since then, but she never has. THEN, she sends me a box of books that she borrowed and then found when editing her book collection and what is in the box? You guessed it: HER copy of "Widow." I told her she's not getting out of it. I WILL make her read it!

Sadly, I feel like it's turned into some punitive homework assignment or something and it's a really wonderful book!

Looking back on the first post in this thread, I had two thoughts: 1) holy crap, that was my 100th post and 2) Gospel is a really great book and I'll bet that the number of people who've read it based on my recommendation is still only one!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

well if you like futuristic murder and mystry books...you will love the JD Robb series..Nora Roberts is the author but she writes her "in death" books under JD Robb...the latest one that came out was book #30...what makes it so good IMO is that the main characters are in each and every book..they continue on with their plot and character development..and IMO each book gets better than the last....Lt Eve Dallas is the main character and she is married to a guy named Roarke who is one of the richest men in the world...but you can look on nora roberts official site to get all the titles and the order in which they go in....its worth reading and full of sarcasm and snark also
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I was thinking about this thread because, once again, I recommended a book to someone YEARS ago and they still haven't read it. In this case, it was The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All by Allan Gurganus and the person in question is my mother. I recommended this book to her at least 10 years ago and actually bullied her into buying a copy of it at a used bookstore. I've suggested she take it on every vacation she's gone on since then, but she never has. THEN, she sends me a box of books that she borrowed and then found when editing her book collection and what is in the box? You guessed it: HER copy of "Widow." I told her she's not getting out of it. I WILL make her read it!

Sadly, I feel like it's turned into some punitive homework assignment or something and it's a really wonderful book!
    Well, I'm not your mama, but I just have to say that The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All is one of my favorite books of all time, and I've read a gazillion books. Love it, love it, love it! And I also recall begging friends to read it and they didn't.

I highly recommend this book!
    cablejockey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
    Well, I'm not your mama, but I just have to say that The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All is one of my favorite books of all time, and I've read a gazillion books. Love it, love it, love it! And I also recall begging friends to read it and they didn't.

I highly recommend this book!
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I know it's a long book, but really, it's a fast read and it is SO good. My mom came to visit a few weeks ago and I sent her home with her copy. I wouldn't keep nagging her if it wasn't a really good book that I know she'd love.

I can't figure out why mom mom will not read this book. She's a voracious reader, so it's not like a big book is daunting or anything. I plan on gently nagging her until she reads it....and then she'll probably hate it because I've talked it up all these years!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was thinking of recommending this book for my book club but we have a rule that the book can't be too long since we meet once a month. I know you say it's a fast read but after reading that it is 736 pages long in paperback, I am wondering if it's too long.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks!

I'm another avid reader and have read and loved a great many of the books recommended here. I'm going to another genre here for those who want or need a good laugh.

Currently I'm reading and/or rereading the Anguished English books by Richard Lederer. Among other credentials, he has an MA in Teaching and a PhD in Linguistics. He is also the father of poker players Howard Lederer and Annie Duke. If you love language, these books are for you. They are collections of mistakes people make while speaking or writing English. They cover material from student essays and tests from early childhood through college, sports quote, signs, newspaper headline and stories, courtroom questions and answer, and much more. I will give two examples below. If you find them funny, you'll love these books.

WARNING: I suggest not having food or drink in your mouth when you read these.

1. From a student in Seattle, describing human internal organs: "The Body." The human body is composed of three parts: the Brainium, the Borax, and the Abominable Cavity. The Brainium contains the brain. The Borax contains the lungs, the liver, and the living things. The Abominable Cavity contains the bowels, of which there are five: A, E, I, O, and U."

2, From another student's essay: "Sir Francis Drake circumsized the world with a 100-foot clipper."
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't believe in nagging people to read a book. Even if you think it's the greatest thing and they'll love it, it's ok to recommend it a few times but after that, let it go. The person will get around to reading it if they choose to. If people thrust a book or movie or anything too hard on me, it tends to turn me off and make me less likely to try it.

I just HATE it when I run into a friend or family member and they keep asking "Have you read that book I gave you/article I sent you/watched that movie yet???"

My grandpa did that to me for years with Clan of the Cave Bear. Even after I finally read it to appease him (or more accurately skimmed it because it just didn't capture my interest), he STILL kept asking me if I ever read it!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast