+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Make a book recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Reality tv fan
    Also THE LOVELY BONES - by Alice Sebold (lovely story) very haunting....will stay with you for a while.
    I would have to agree with you on this one....I heard they were making it into a movie, so I checked it out from the library. To be honest, I had a hard time staying with it, it disturbed me so much. There were times when I would just be openly weeping, and that is not like me. By the halfway mark though, I could not put it down. A great recommendation!

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    i recommend the book:

GANGSTA by K'Wan

it is a urban fiction novel. it is so good. i love it.
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Idol Fan
    Covaleskie - Thank you! A fantasy author I haven't read! Hard to believe! Sounds great and I can't wait to get my hands on the George R. R. Martin book! Thank you!

A real oldie but one of my all time favorites, from long, long ago is The Source by James Michener. If you don't know about it, it's an archeological dig in Israel which tells a great story as they uncover each layer of the dig, starting with pre-historic man and working up to the modern times back then. Excellent!

There are many fabulous fantasy authors - right now I'm reacquainting myself with some C. J. Cherryh - Fortress in the Eye of Time and its sequels. Medieval, beautifully written archetypes resembling King Arthur, with wizardry and a great main character - the Sidhe (elf) Tristen.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

That was the last book that I enjoyed enough to finish and then borrow
    out to my friends so that they may also enjoy
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I just read Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami - wow, just wow! A haunting and exciting story. Part mystery, part psychological investigation, part fantasy and part existential meandering.

My Mom just gave me East of Eden by John Steinbeck to read and I'm almost done. If you like beautiful language and involved stories, I would highly recommend. I was amazed by how much I fell in love with this story.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    anthing by Tim dorsey. if you like carl hiiasen, you'll like this guy

Books that I read years ago that made a lasting impression on me:

A Prayer for Owen Meaney- John Irving
    Cider House Rules-John Irving
    To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee
    Lonesome Dove-Larry McMurtry
    Confederacy of Dunces-John Kennedy Toole
    The Magus- John Fowles
    One Hundred Years of Solitude- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    The Color Purple-Alice Walker

I really recommend the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I got it for Christmas and I wouldn't have read it otherwise. Really, really good about a boy who chases after his dreams.

I also recommend Anything by Nick Hornby (Fever Pitch, High Fidelity, About a Boy and How to be good). They're all about relationships and mr. Hornby really knows what both men and women are thinking.

I'm really enjoying Towelhead, by Alicia Erian. Great coming-of-age in an extremely dysfunctional environment story, although deals with very adult things in a 13 year old girl's life so maybe not for everyone.

Since I can't find the edit button, I'll just make a new post with a recommendation I forgot; The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart. About a man who decides that all of his moves should be based upon what the dice say. Very fascinating...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast