Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    As a huge Stephen King fan...here's a couple of my faves I'd recommend:

IT
    The Shining
    The Stand
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    The langoliers
    Misery

Also THE LOVELY BONES - by Alice Sebold (lovely story) very haunting....will stay with you for a while.

For anyone who likes medical thrillers, I'd recommend any book by Tess Gerritsen. I haven't read one yet that didn't keep me up til all hours of the night because I just couldn't put it down!

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    undefinedMy husband gave me "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" for Christmas. I was so lost in that book, I ate, drank and slept it for nearly a week. Written in a kind of style that's a cross between Dickens and Austen, I loved it!
    I'm rediscovering Nevil Shute as well at the moment.

I have a few friends who've been ruined after being forcefed too many (albeit very good) English novels in the Romantic tradition, so I always suggest Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm as an antidote.

For something published in the 1930s (the doom and gloom days of modern literature, I suppose), it's totally whack. As in, funny. Even if you don't know it's a parody, I defy you to read it and not laugh out loud at least once.

ETA: It's sort of my failproof rec for anyone and everyone, actually. I've recced Murakami, McEwan and DeLillo before (three of my favorite contemporary authors) , and apparently people who don't usually read "heavy" literature thought they were boring beyond belief. I've also recced Eco's The Name of the Rose to this one friend, and she told me she fell asleep after the first page.

So, I pretty much suck as a reccer. But do try Cold Comfort Farm. Its approval rating among my friends and acquaintances (according to my very unscientific data ) has so far stayed at 100%.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 03-03-2005 at 12:36 PM.

FORT Fogey
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon
    If you like puzzles and thinking you're intelligent (intelligence not required), this book is for you. Its really intruiging and original.
    Eats Shoots and Leaves - Lynn Truss
    This book is freaking hilarious. The mere dedication had me laughing out loud for about five minutes. If you don't like punctuation now, you will after this.
    Chronicles Volume 1 - Bob Dylan
    Because, unlike Anna Nicole Smith, some people really like to find out what it means to think like a freakin' genius.
    Perfume - Patrick Suskind
    Wow this book is creepy and amazing. It took me a while to finish (I've a vivid imagination and scents give me headaches) but it was really twisted in a good way.

Im about to relase my inner nerd you see i have an exterminly short attention spand. If i don't like the first pages I will stop reading ! I read this book called "The Wind Blows backwards" Its such a tearjerker is a love story that really moved me its great for teens and even adult. If some one like me with possible adhd can read thei book why can't you ???? If your fan of love stories i totally recommend this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Next Big Thing

Hope this isn't weird (or in violation of the site rules) but I'd like to recommend my new reality-TV novel, The Next Big Thing, which has just come out in bookstores across North America.

It's a satire on reality TV. The main character goes on a show called "From Fat to Fabulous" to try to slim down before she meets her Internet boyfriend.

You can get more info, including a free preview, on my website: www.johannaedwards.com

where's my rose garden? Covaleskie's Avatar
    First of all, let me say that I finally found the "not about reality television" section of FORT and I'm pleasantly surprised by the topics available for discussion.

After reading through the other posts in this thread, I realized that I couldn't quote everyone I wanted to without creating a mile-long post. So I'll just have to do a quick recap:

"Thursday Next" books -- I love them!!! Which surprises me because I hate Victorian literature so very much.

Da Vinci Code -- Resisted reading it for the same reason I resisted Harry Potter, didn't want to go with the consensus. Turns out the consensus sometimes knows what it's talking about.

Tess Gerritsen -- I enjoyed her books, but did not find them rereadable, which was sad to me.

Gospel -- Haven't read it, but plan to put it on my list.

To the person who posted about Koontz's Frankenstein -- I have read a lot of Koontz and found his books to be either really enjoyable and pleasantly frightening or just plan "hackish" and so I stopped reading his new ones. Have you read any of Koontz's other books? How does Frankstein compare? Is it a retelling of Mary Shelley's? Basically, I'm hoping for more information about it so I can decide if I want to read it.

Handmaid's Tale -- hauntingly good

A Night to Remember -- the best overall look at the Titanic I've read, and oddly enough I have read several books on the subject (but feel the need to add that I read them all before Leonardo and Kate ever stepped foot onboard).

Now for a recommendation of my own:

George R. R. Martin -- Game of Thrones

Epic fantasy at its best. Fabulous characterization, believable setting, fast paced plot, foreshadowing that makes you want to turn pages faster than you can read them. If you enjoy fantasy at all, I highly recommend this book (first in a "still being written" series). Martin does the whole "each chapter is written from the perspective of a different character" thing extremely well. Sometimes chapters contain misinformation if the character is misinformed, sometimes chapters contain differing views of the same event, and every so often, Martin gives you a chapter from the perspective of an unsympathetic character, and by the end of the chapter you can't help but change how you think about the character.

Hmmm. I was trying not create a "mile long" post. :rolleyes
    Sorry if I got too long-winded. I just love talking about books. Let's keep the recommendations coming.
    There's always one in every bunch.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    I love to read.. and am happy when i find a book i can't put down. This is to say I finish them in 2 days

Memories of a Geisha was a great fictional look based upon a real geisha's life, from her youth till her later years. I had a hard time sleeping when I read this one.. i just didn't wanna stop. Sadly I went from The Divinci Code to this one, needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that week! I have to second this book.. since its been mentioed already. Such a great and touching read.

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality tv fan
    For anyone fascinated with the Titanic legend....A Night to Remember by Walter Lord is an interesting read and a fascinating look into what happened the night the Titanic went down.
    I have to agree with you there. (Check out my avatar and location - hehe.) It seems I recall reading that Officer Boxhall was a consultant on the movie of the same name.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast