+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Books you read the ending for...

What Books you read the ending for...

Hey-
    Are there any FORTers out there that have a specific book(s) they MUST read the ending for?? Do you ever read the ending BEFORE you even START the book?? Well, if so, tell about it here, and how long has this been a habit??

1984 comes to mind. The summary on the back of my copy said something like, "From its stark beginning to its resonant last four words..." So, of course, I flip back and read the last four words. Oops.

I usually just read the conventional way from beginning to end.

I would have done the same thing. or else you would be left in suspense until the ending. lol

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    At first I read Harry Potter and the Order of Pheonix but i ended up reading the rest of the book. I LOVE HARRY POTTER! Release of the 6th bok is: JULY 16, 2005 just to let you know.
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

I can't stand knowing the ending for a movie or a book so I make sure not to read or hear of the ending! Also I try not to outguess the author as I read along, so as to let myself be surprised by him/her.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I try not to have a peek at the ending, but my mother is hopeless when it comes to reading the ending first. Especially when she's reading detective novels, which pretty much ruins the whole read.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Like geek's mom, I read the ending first on all books I read. And given the opportunity, I also like to know the outcome of movies before I see them.

To geek: the reason people like your mom and I enjoy doing this is because it actually enhances our enjoyment of the book, due to the way our minds work. When I know how a book ends, then I'm able to see and better appreciate the nuances and detail of things that I normally might not have caught, or wouldn't have appreciated as much during my read. It doesn't matter if it's a historical biography or a page-turning mystery or whodunit -- I enjoy the book so much more when I know how it ends. It makes the ride from page 1 to final page an enjoyable adventure. And knowing how it ends doesn't detract from the adventure in the least -- it actually makes me appreciate the ending even more. I'd bet if you ask your mom, she'll feel the same.

This is one of the reasons historical biographies are so popular. We already know the people involved, and we almost always know how the story is going to end. But that's why people love to read them -- we know the ending, so we're able to appreciate and enjoy the story leading up to that ending. And if we didn't already know how the story ends, the story itself is less interesting and a dryer read.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Thanks for clarifying, Nemeses. I can see now why reading the ending first could enhance your reading experience. I think I'll stick to reading my books from beginning to end though I like the element of surprise, I guess.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

The hobbit .. although it was a good book it was boring to me so just read the ending.
    And also bare bones forgot the author but it was a suspensful book.

A Prayer for Owen Meany has an amazing conclusion--so many things come together in such an unusual, satisfying way that is not trite and easy. It's amazing.

I also read the endings of books before I get there naturally. The main reason I do it is that I literally cannot do ANYTHING until I know what happens in a book. The dishes don't get done, the dog doesn't get walked, and I don't sleep. It's the one place in my life where I become obsessive. When I read the ending, I have an idea what happened and I can go on with my life, but I still need to read the rest of the book in order to understand why it all happened. It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the book at all, and, more importantly, my dog's a little happier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast