+ Reply to Thread

Thread: True adventure

True adventure

Rosekid and I were talking about this in another thread. Does anyone else here like true adventure books?
    To get things started I'll list mine:

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
    Touching the Void
    Seven Summits
    Adrift
    Into Thin Air

Please list yours! I'm always look for good ones to read.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

Right behind you, Candor, great idea!

Into the Wild

and I haven't read yet, but will:

Between a Rock and a Hard Place
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I wonder if "Guts" by Gary Paulsen counts? It's been so long since I've read that book...
    Gustav Holst was right!

Haejin, I'll have to look into that book, thanks. Another book that fascinated me is "Autobiography of a Face", by Lucy Grealy. It's a true adventure in the sense that she gets bone cancer in her jaw at the age of nine (I believe in the 60's), and it's her story. Excellent reflection about how appearance becomes more important to her than her illness, because of how deforming it becomes. It's not a downer, though. It is about heartache, of course, but also delves into her deep affection with horses, college, travels, as she searches for happiness. Eventually she even meets Andy Warhol. She is a published poet, and author of other books. Very introspective.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
    I saw the IMAX film Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure. I was fascinated by Shackleton's story.

I guess you can say that I didn't read the book but saw the movie.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

The book is one of those you just can't put down. I think I read in a weekend. Same with Touching the Void.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Another book that fascinated me is "Autobiography of a Face", by Lucy Grealy. It's a true adventure in the sense that she gets bone cancer in her jaw at the age of nine (I believe in the 60's), and it's her story.
    Forgot to mention that she co-wrote the book, "The Man Who Listens to Horses," which was the basis for the movie, "The Horse Whisperer".

Candor, I'm definitely going to read Void, and Shackleton...thanks for the heads up.

+ Reply to Thread