+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on July 16

I can't wait! It was a fun party the last time it came out, my husband and I were there and they gave out glasses and bolt tatoos,so we played along like the rest and wore them it was great fun! Guess we will go again too!

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and say how excited I am about HP6 too! Saturday can not come soon enough...

I have tickets for an outdoor concert on the 16th but told my companion that we weren't leaving until the book was delivered (9am-5pm window).

He's not impressed...oh well, just to make it more interesting I should bring the book along with me

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    I am soooo excited about HP6 also. I can not wait it cannot come soon enough! Right now I am on mugglenet.com reading editorials to keep my Harry Potter appetite satisfied for now. I am also readin Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix so that I am up to date when I begin to read HPHBP. I preordered mines on BarnesandNoble.com so no telling when I am going to get mine.

<===== Look at my avatar!!!
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

One of my patients told me, its a kids book! A childrens book, indeed! :nono Its a book for EVERYONE!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

I hate when people dismiss it like Harry Potter fans are a bunch of twits that are incapable of reading at an adult level.

It's not a book that many 7 year olds could read with great ease, I'd think.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

36 more hours! I read all 5 books in the last 2 weeks to prepare. My husband thinks I am insane!
    Here comes Avery! April 10, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I hate when people dismiss it like Harry Potter fans are a bunch of twits that are incapable of reading at an adult level.

It's not a book that many 7 year olds could read with great ease, I'd think.
    Actually, one of the kids in the class that I'm counseling for my school's summer program reads Harry Potter, and he's 7. I don't know if he actually understands everything, but if he didn't, he wouldn't be almost done with it (Sorcerer's Stone).
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGirl
    One of my patients told me, it's a kids book! A childrens book, indeed! :nono It's a book for EVERYONE!

With all the crap that is going on with the world today, Harry Potter is the perfect escape.

Heck my aunt's favorite book series were The Chronicle of Narnia. That was her HP.

BTW, I am still well within the first half of OOTP.
    Last edited by TellTaleOrange; 07-14-2005 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Update on reading Status...

I just had a laugh at this. I guess if you're Catholic, you are not permitted to read Harry Potter.
    http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...t/12132213.htm
    Pope concerned over Harry Potter books

Associated Press

BERLIN - In a letter sent two years before becoming pope, Benedict XVI expressed concern that the Harry Potter books "erode Christianity in the soul" of young people, a German writer says.

The comments came in an exchange of letters between then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and Gabriele Kuby, a Bavarian-based Roman Catholic sociologist who penned a book criticizing J.K. Rowling's blockbusters.

In a letter dated March 7, 2003, the text of which could be seen Thursday on Kuby's Web site, Ratzinger thanked her for sending him a copy of "your informative book."

"It is good that you are throwing light on Harry Potter, because these are subtle seductions that work imperceptibly, and because of that deeply, and erode Christianity in the soul before it can even grow properly," the letter added.

The Vatican had no comment, noting that the pontiff - a Bavarian native - and his secretary were away on vacation.

Kuby argues in her book, "Harry Potter - Good or Evil," that the Potter novels blur the boundaries between good and evil and impair young readers' ability to distinguish between the two. She also asserts that they glorify the world of witches and magicians at the expense of the human world.

Christians in the United States have made similar criticisms.

Kuby said Thursday that she sent her book to Ratzinger - then the Vatican's doctrinal watchdog - after he commented favorably on an earlier book she wrote, "My Way to Mary."

In an e-mailed response to questions, she said she did not correspond with Ratzinger about Potter again after seeking his permission to cite his judgment later in 2003.

Ratzinger wrote on May 27 that year that "I gladly permit you to cite my opinion on Harry Potter," according to Kuby.

Rowling's sixth Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," is due out Saturday.

---

On the Web:

http://www.gabriele-kuby.de/harry_potter.html

I just got the call I've been waiting for. I'm one of the top ten on the reserve list at the library so I'll get it tomorrow.

They're having a HP party from 10:30 until midnight and I can either get it at 12:01, or wait until the library opens at the regular time at 9 tomorrow morning. If it were just me, I'd go at 9am, however my 12 year old son is leaving for camp Monday morning and is antsy to get it ASAP so we'll probably go tonight.

+ Reply to Thread