ZM

Quote Originally Posted by ZitsMom
    Taken from AIWANNABE's post #128 of this thread -- how to do spoiler tags:

[ spoiler] [ /spoiler]

Take out the spaces in the brackets.

ZM
    Thanks! Now I'm in the club! LOL

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Even though we would LIKE for a character to continue living, sometimes from a STORY standpoint, it's better if they die.

Think about it - if Romeo & Juliet grew old & arthritic - would ANYONE want to see the play more than once? As it is, you keep going back again and again - PRAYING that the end will change.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Well I'm not really a big fan of Romeo and Juliet (it wasn't true love anyways!) but I get what you're saying. Sometimes death is necessary for a good story.

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    For all Harry Potter fans:

If any of you want to be apart of a cool roleplaying hogwarts rpg, go to:

www.coldhogwarts.proboards55.com

And have fun!
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

It's been fun reading this thread....
    I want to share a few of my own theories and forgive me if they've already been said, also WARNING, this is LONG, heh heh

Click to see Spoiler:
    First off the one thing that has always remained a constant, is that Dumbledore is NO idiot, the greatest wizard, yada yada yada.....
    So WHY would he be Fooled by Snape? Not likely.... I DO believe they had some sort of Unbreakable Vow, its definitely NOT what Dumbledore explained to Harry, there is MUCH more to the story of why he trusts Snape and I figure we'll find out in Book 7.
    With that in mind, we know he already knew the Malfoy plan. If Snape was Bad, he wouldn't have let Dumbledore onto that one, b/c it would give him chance to escape or foil the plan.
    Also, nobody trusts Snape, and Dumb. is the only one that does, so it would be really odd that he backstabs the only person that trusts him.

Now it seems the trip that Dumble did with Harry may have been a wild goose chase b/c soemone had already found the Horcrux. I believe Dumbl knew this already, OR at least that once he found it, he knew immediatley it was NOT the Horcrux. WHen Harry saw it, he already noticed the S was missing, etc....
    Dumbledore would've grabbed it and immediately known it wasn't the real one.
    I believe he drank the potion b/c it was the "draught of the living death" mentioned in Book 1, page 137-138 which during that potion lesson, Snape also mentioned the "bezoar" - How convenient that the bezoar was used in this book......so I belive the "draught of the living death" was also used. I believe that was Dumbledore's MAIN reason for going over there in the first place, not the Horcrux. That's why Dumbledore made Harry promise to make him drink the entire potion, b/c he needed to make sure it had it's full effect.
    Now he was "supposedly" so weak, but yet had enough strength out of nowhere to create the fire to shield Harry from the Inferi.

So if you believe this theory, this next theory will make sense.
    Dumbledore upon getting back to the castle, and really weak at this point, told Harry to call for Snape. Insisted on it. Then of course, the whole Malfoy thing happens before Harry gets a chance. Dumbledore immobilizes Harry, yet getting weaker by the minute, the Death Eaters all come, and Snape rushes in and kills Dumbledore. And realize Snape was really RUSHING to get to the scene. Now if you think about it, Dumbedore the greatest wizard, yada yada.... doesn't need his wand, and even in the weakest state, could do a nonverbal spell like the best of them. But he didn't or couldn't or whatever.

So I believe, that Dumbledore took that potion, to make him SEEM dead. It takes a certain amount of time to take effect, and that's why we saw him getting weaker by the minute. He also knew that he made the deal with Snape to do the Aveda Kavada curse on him, and Snape didn't want to b/c they were having an argument over him doing it. He immobilized Harry so Harry wouldn't mess up the plan by trying to save him, b/c of the potion it would look like he had died anyway, and that would ruin the plan of making it look like Snape killed him (he already knew Malfoy would NEVER have the courage to kill) But that's why Snape had to HURRY to do the curse to have the Death Eaters believe that he was indeed the one who finished Dumbledore off, to make him truly trustworthy of Voldemore, and also not break his Unbreakable Vow to Malfoy's mom.
    But what I think we've all forgotten, is that when they first mentioned the Aveda Kavada curse, and I can't remember which book, but they said, "It only works if you MEAN it"
    Snape didn't want to kill Dumbledore, so the curse wouldn't really kill him b/c Snape didn't MEAN it. But with the potion, it looks like the curse did kill him afterall. Which I think the end when they see Dumbledore's portrait he is "slumbering" I think that was a major clue. And of course, you all are right on when you say Dumbledore wasn't begging for his life, but for Snape to carry out the plan and do the curse.
    Which why in Book 7 Harry will have more of a vengeance to finish Voldemore. that's why Dumbledore gave him all that information in the memories, b/c it's a job Harry will have to do on his own. But I don't believe Dumbledore is really dead at all. JK has been saying all the stuff about she doesn't belive in bringing back people from the dead, and kids have to know about death, etc... but HOPEFULLY she has a heart and that is all a coverup to make us believe when the people in the book die, they really do, I believe Sirius and Dumbledore are definitely alive.

Speaking of Sirius, on page 11-12 Fudge says "But Black's by-the-by now"
    JK has never used that phrase to say someone's dead. Don't know what it means, but I think it's important.

About the locket Horcrux. In book 5, there was a locket in Black's mansion that the kids couldn't open. That is the real Horcrux, most likely taken by Black's brother thus RAB. I believe Mundungus stole the locket Horcrux, along with the goblet, and who knows what else. JK wouldn't have mentioned he stole the goblet unless it were for a reason, so that will be important in Book 7.

Last (for now) but not least, Dumbledore lets Harry know that Voldemore had wanted the Defense of Dark Arts teacher position, and the position is cursed by him, that's why nobody lasts for more than a year. This is the REAL reason he never had Snape fill the position, NOT b/c he didn't trust him like everyone else thought, but b/c he NEEDED him, and couldn't have anything happening to him. But this year, it was OK, b/c of the plan, he knew it would be their own doing why Snape didn't last in the position, and he would be OK.

Question: Does anyone have a theory on why Dumbledore told the Dursley's they had mistreated Dudley? He said and I quote "the best that can be said is that he has at least escaped the appalling damage you have inflicted upon the unfortunate boy sitting between you" And of course Uncle Vernon was appalled. After the conversation it mentions "Aunt Petunia was oddly flushed"
    So there is definitely something strange going on there. Aunt Petunia knows the deal, and was also reprimanded (and I can't remember by who, when or for what) by another witch but it was in one of the other books, and that was another hint that she knew more and was way more involved.
    My theory is that (and I admit I'm reaching) Aunt Petunia could've been a witch also, but dismissed it and refused. She married Uncle Vernon, who did NOT know she was really a witch. They had Dudley, and he could have wizard powers, but she stripped him of them, and refused to allow him to be a wizard, b/c as we know Uncle Vernon knows nothing of this.
    That could be what Dumbledore meant by Dudley being mistreated, b/c we all know they spoil him silly.
    Like I said, I know I'm reaching with this, but it's something to think about. I'd love to hear other theories on Aunt Petunia....

OK, I"ve taken up enough of your space, heh heh.... But those are the theories floating around in my head (I know I must have way too much time on my hands, lol

One last clue....

Click to see Spoiler:
    When Harry goes to Dumbledore's office after he "dies" and they say Dumbledore's portrait is slumbering , they go on to say "After flancing once at htis portrait, Professor McGonagall made an odd movement as though steeling herself, then rounded the desk to look at Harry, her face taut and lined"
    Then of course, she asked him what he and Dumbledore had been doing.

I believe this a clue. She was SURPRISED at the portrait. Most will think b/c it was still a shock seeing his portrait and the meaning of it. I believe however, that she was shocked and had to brace herself, b/c something was OFF with the portrait. She didn't expect to see him slumbering peacefully in the portrait, and since she felt something odd with it, that prompted her to ask Harry just what he and Dumbledore were up to.

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Great post SassyStarr, great post. I like your theories. You have some great catches. Now I gotta go back and read from book one again.

Thanks EXLurker,

I can't believe I actually forgot a couple more things... Here goes....

Click to see Spoiler:
    Also, I think we all agreed that at the end, Snape was giving Harry the chance to get away and not be killed by the other Death Eaters, saying that Harry belongs to the Dark Lord. Please, as if Voldemore wouldn't perfectly happy that someone killed Harry, yeah he would want the glory for himself but I believe more than anything he wants Harry dead...
    Snape was telling Harry HOW to fight, almost like a frustrated teacher. He was deifnitely trying to help and save him. He did everything in his power to do so, when he could've easily killed Harry himself. If you tie that into my above theory it really makes sense Snape is working WITH Dumbledore, not Vold.

Also, I think Wormtail will also be important b/c he owes Harry his life, which is why is was so important and good that she didnt have Harry kill Peter when he had the chance. Harry regreted it, but Dumbledore told him not to, b/c now Wormtail owes Harry his life, and I believe he will HELP Harry in the Book 7 b/c of this.

Next....
    Do you all rmember when Harry first found out he was parseltounge? It was at the zoo, and he rescued that snake. THe snake said something to the effect of "Thank you, I'm off to Brazil" That snake also owes Harry, so to speak.
    I think that snake will come back in Book 7 and will be pivotal in Harry defeating Voldemor's snake, Nagini, especially if Nagini is a Horcrux.

And also, let's not forget Slughorn stole Aragog's venom. That will definitely help in some way. I wonder if even the Unicorn hair in Hagrid's place might also be helpful, being that Hagrid mentioned how strong it was and Slughorn said it was "so valuable"

OK, I promise, that's it for now

Your theories are certainly interesting, Sassystar.
    Just to answer one question, "by the by" just means "by the way." So it's like he's saying the person in question is no longer relevant or important to their discussions.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread