+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on July 16

Quote Originally Posted by anemone
    Click to see Spoiler:
    3. Much has been made of Voldemort's and Harry's wands being sister wands, having been made with Fawkes' feathers. (Does anyone else find a Phoenix named Fawkes a real groaner?) I would like to add Harry's wand to the list of possible horcruxes. TellTaleOrange already added Voldemort's. This theory could support either wand. . . .
    I also enjoy reading everybody's theories... when I finished the book and first started talking to people, I couldn't have disagreed more... now I'm starting to come around.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I don't understand how any horcruxes could be in Harry's wand because that would mean that Voldemort would have had to somehow know what wand Harry was going to get before he got it... or would have had to get his hands on it at one point for long enough to put a horcrux in it. I'm guessing it's not a quick process, either.
    Also, did anybody else read into the look of "hatred" on Snape's face when he finished Dumbledore off? I went back to read that part when I was discussing the possibility of Snape being good. Dumbledore put excessive emphasis on the fact that he can make mistakes. Who knows, though?

eta:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    By mistake, I mean, trusting Snape... I re-read it and thought it might be confusing to those of you who aren't actually in my brain.
    Matthew 6:27
    Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I reread the book looking for clues, and found a few/

Remember the person who really did try to help Draco wasn't Snape.

Polyjuice Potion.

Non-Verbal spells.

In one of the earlier important chapter's the Half Blood Prince refers to himself in the third person.

The wizard had to have the dark mark to get passed the barrier in Hogwarts.

I think Lotuslander has something here - I understand the first two hints, but I'm still stumped on the Non-Verbal spells, HB Prince in the 3rd person and the bit about the dark mark. Lotus, can you clarify? Thanks!
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman
    Don't we know.. well assume?.. the griffendor item would be the sword in DDs office?

Wouldn't Dumbledore have thought of this?

Another clue, the venom from the spider will be put to use in the next book.

Remember in The Order of The Phoenix there were certain objects found in The Black Residence when they were cleaning it that had a certain effect on certain witches and wizards.

The potion that Dumbldore drinks at the dark lake.

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    Since this is my first post since I finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince I am just going to tell you what I thought and how I reacted at the end
    Click to see Spoiler:
    and also, answering the question, Is Snape evil? and Who in the world is R.A.B.?

I just want to start off by saying that I absolutley loved the book. I think it was one of my favorites because it was informative. It let us know who Lord Voldemort is as a person. It let us know where he came from and how he became one of the most powerful Dark wizards ever and why. I cried at the end because as you know Albus Dumbledore is my favorite character. I just couldn't believe that he was dead. And whatr made it worst was the fact that Snape killed him. (I am sorry if you hadn't read the book). After all these years of Dumbledore trusting him and giving him a chance he would do something like this. That leads me to the question, Is Snape really evil?

When I first read that terrible paragraph at the end of that chapter I cried and then cried some more. At that moment of course I thought Snape was evil. I thought that he was wrong. BUt now that I am at a sensible place I thought about it. I don't think that Snape is evil. I think that he had to kill Dumbledore in order to protect his place as a double spy. He made the Unbreakable Vow to Narcissa so he had to do it or he would die also if he didnt what would the other Death Eaters think?

I also feel that Dumbledore would have wanted him too because he would do anything to stop Voldemort. A flaw to that is the pleading that DUmbledore did before Snape killed him. If he really wanted Snape to murder him, why would he plead the way that he did? I guess we will never know until the 7th book. Which I can not wait until it is here.

R.A.B could be the initials of Sirius's brother. That is the conclusion that everybody has come up with. It is very obvious. But what people don't think about is, this is a Harry Potter book we are talking about. Not just any ohter book. J.K. Rowling would not make it that obvious and easy to figure out. She wants us to think about it. She would not make it that easy.

I hope that all the people that read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince enjoyed it very much and as much as I did.
    Last edited by fluff; 08-04-2005 at 08:09 PM.
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    I don't think Snape is evil. Perhaps Snape made an Unbreakable Vow to Dumbledore and that is why Dumbledore completely trusts him.

Just a reminder folks, this is not a marked spoiler thread so if you intend to post details about the content of the book you need to please use spoiler tags so as to not give away any information to those who haven't read the book yet.
    I know the book has been out for a while, but even so I imagine a lot of people have yet to read it and might find the outcome or elements spoiled as the thread is not marked.
    The other option would be to start a Half Blood Prince Spoiler thread where you could discuss the book freely.

Thanks
    Last edited by fluff; 08-04-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Kao
    If you think about it
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dumbledore is kinda a throw-away character this time around because unlike Sirius, his essence is in the portrait in what is now McGonnagal's office. When he wakes up, he can still talk to and advise Harry. He just can't actively HELP Harry any longer. So he's gone, but not really in the same way that Sirius is gone, and how another major character like Ron, the twins, or Hermoine would be gone had htey snuffed it. What shocked me was how it was done and who did it.

I think for the next book I am going offline for about a week and taking a set of headphones with me to the shop when I pick the book up because of morons who get a huge kick out of spoiling things for people, like that piece of crap who taped himself as he drove around spoiling the book for young children in line to buy the book the night of the release. Fortunately I didn't get spoiled but I know some people who did and they weren't happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Just a reminder folks, this is not a marked spoiler thread so if you intend to post details about the content of the book you need to please use spoiler tags so as to not give away any information to those who haven't read the book yet.
    Thanks fluff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    I think for the next book I am going offline for about a week and taking a set of headphones with me to the shop when I pick the book up because of morons who get a huge kick out of spoiling things for people, like that piece of crap who taped himself as he drove around spoiling the book for young children in line to buy the book the night of the release. Fortunately I didn't get spoiled but I know some people who did and they weren't happy about it.
    That's just scummy! It's because of people like that that I went out and bought the book almost immediately. I probably could've spent the money on other things, but I was sure I'd get spoiled somewhere - either online, or TV or walking down the street.

With Book 7, I'll probably order it from Amazon to be delivered on the release date and then stay inside and offline, with the TV off until I finish it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I read it. I liked it. Loved all the details you got about Lord Voldemort. Going to have to reread it and book 5.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread