+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on July 16

Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay
    Oooooh! Good catch. It's very possible.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Something inside me is still telling me that it's a Ravenclaw item. Although for the life of me I can't possibly think what it might be. Another thing that kinda struck me though is there are a few mentions of tiaras in this book. In the room of requirement Harry puts a tiara on a bust sculpture. Molly offers Fleur a tiara to wear for her wedding. For some reason that just kinda stuck in my brain. I'm probably waaay off but it's fun to speculate.
    My only question for that would be...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Why go to the Potter's to horcrux a Ravenclaw item? Weren't both James and Lily Griffindor?

I love reading everyone's theories! Here's mine:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    We know Dumbledore knew Malfoy was trying to kill him, but did nothing lest Voldemort kill Malfoy instead. If Snape was true to the Order, but pretending to be a Death Eater on Dumbledore's orders, he undoubtedly told Dumbledore about making the Unbreakable Vow to Narcissa. Had he not done so Bellatrix would have told Voldemort, blowing his cover. Dumbledore knew that if he lived, both Malfoy and Snape would die, so he told Snape to kill him. Perhaps Dumbledore forced Snape to agree to this beforehand, like he did with Harry.

ZM

Quote Originally Posted by ZitsMom
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dumbledore knew that if he lived, both Malfoy and Snape would die, so he told Snape to kill him. Perhaps Dumbledore forced Snape to agree to this beforehand, like he did with Harry.
    That was my thinking too. And I'm hoping it's right!

Quote Originally Posted by TellTaleOrange
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Why go to the Potter's to horcrux a Ravenclaw item? Weren't both James and Lily Griffindor?
    It doesn't add up, I know. It just kinda caught my attention and stuck with me for some reason.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Don't we know.. well assume?.. the griffendor item would be the sword in DDs office?

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I reread the book looking for clues, and found a few/

Remember the person who really did try to help Draco wasn't Snape.

Polyjuice Potion.

Non-Verbal spells.

In one of the earlier important chapter's the Half Blood Prince refers to himself in the third person.

The wizard had to have the dark mark to get passed the barrier in Hogwarts.
    Sorry, I still don't know what you're getting at here - and I've read the last book twice and the others at least 5 times. So, I know that I'm not the only one who is shaking their head. Please let me know - it's driving me crazy!
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I’m finding it really difficult to believe that Harry's a horcrux. Dumbledore has said more than once that the reason Voldemort couldn’t possess Harry is because of Harry’s ability to love. If the part of Voldemort’s soul that inhabits his body couldn’t reside inside Harry, then surely a measly little rouge part of his soul wouldn’t be able to accomplish it either.

My Horcrux List (I'm inclined to believe Dumbledore)
    1.Riddle's Diary
    2.Slytherin's (Marvolo's) Ring
    3.Slytherin's (Merope's) Locket
    4.Hufflepuff's Cup
    5.Ravenclaw item/Gryffindor item
    6.Nagini
    7.The part residing in Voldemort

Dumbledore also said that the sword was the only remaining relic of Gryffindor's. But in another of the earlier books (forgive me I forget which one) the sorting hat says that it once belonged to him (Gryffindor). While I don't believe that either of these items are a horcrux, it would be incredible poignant if the sorting hat was a horcrux, being as it's the tool to divide the school and destroying it would ultimately bring them together.

I do think that the 5th horcrux is probably something of Ravenclaw's. I've been trying to think what it could possibly be though.

Any thoughts?

eta:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Oh, and I think Snape is good - not evil.

Oooooo...Veej, this is some of the best theorizin' I've read! Woot!

I especially LOVE the idea of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    One of the horcruxes being the Sorting Hat! Wow! Fantastic theory, whether it comes true or not. Ooo...it would be a clever and amazing climax, if this is what she intended.

Also, I agree with whomever it was that mentioned that Dumbledore wasn't begging for his life, but pleading to be killed. And I think he's actually dead.

Have been loving reading the spoilers here, btw. Fantastic! Good eyes, everyone. Fun to read.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I finally had a chance to read this thread. Good theories!
    Here are my thoughts:
    Click to see Spoiler:

1. Add me to the "Snape is not evil bandwagon." Dumbledore trusted him completely. He had to have a reason - perhaps they made an unbreakable vow. I think he was trying to advise Harry, even at the end. I also believe Snape loved (loves) Lily.

2. Dumbledore is not just mostly dead, he's all dead. But in the tradition of Gandalf, Aslan, Obi-Wan and Jesus, his death will have a greater meaning, a more powerful presence than if he were bodily alive. His patronus is a Phoenix, after all.

3. Much has been made of Voldemort's and Harry's wands being sister wands, having been made with Fawkes' feathers. (Does anyone else find a Phoenix named Fawkes a real groaner?) I would like to add Harry's wand to the list of possible horcruxes. TellTaleOrange already added Voldemort's. This theory could support either wand. . . .
    4. However, I think it makes sense that an item from each house be a horcrux, as they would all link to the school. I could see Voldemort attaching that signifigance to each item he collected. My other guess is that Nagini is not a Horcrux, but 5 & 6 are a Gryffindor item and a Ravenclaw item. The sword and ..... something. It will be a long 2 years until the last book comes out. I will be rereading the series to refresh my memory. If I find any mention of a Ravenclaw item, I'll let post it.
    5. Interesting how Voldemort's and Harry's life stories are so similar. Sort of a whole "two sides of the same coin" thing going on.

I agree with Lotuslander and others who said that all the action takes place in the last few chapters. I found that to be true in all the books, especially this and OOP. She spends a lot of time setting up her themes, symbolism and foreshadowing. It is just her writing style.

A friend at work finished reading the book over the weekend, but her family was still reading it. She came in Monday morning and told me, "I am glad you finished it, too. I was dying to talk to someone about it. My family wouldn't let me share."
    Thanks for sharing everyone.

You know what I just thought about? I wonder if
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dumbledore will become Harry's patronus. I know his patronus was James but I would think a Dumbledore patronus would be much stronger, perhaps better able to help him defeat Voldemort.

ZM

Im am shocked at who died. I dont know how Harry will be able to go on with his quest now

[QUOTE=ZitsMom]I love reading everyone's theories! Here's mine:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    We know Dumbledore knew Malfoy was trying to kill him, but did nothing lest Voldemort kill Malfoy instead. If Snape was true to the Order, but pretending to be a Death Eater on Dumbledore's orders, he undoubtedly told Dumbledore about making the Unbreakable Vow to Narcissa. Had he not done so Bellatrix would have told Voldemort, blowing his cover. Dumbledore knew that if he lived, both Malfoy and Snape would die, so he told Snape to kill him. Perhaps Dumbledore forced Snape to agree to this beforehand, like he did with Harry.

I agree with you totally.

+ Reply to Thread