+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on July 16

I wonder if she won't do a story a long one then a sort of epilogue fast forward to see "where they are now" type thing. That would be nice!

I hated for this book to end.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Just a thought - has JKR ever stated that she would stop the series after the 7th book? That's the year that Harry would finish at Hogwarts, but the series could carry on concerning his future life, marriage, etc. That's assuming, of course, that Harry survives and doesn't die killing Voldemort.

It would be interesting to read about the various characters' lives as they continue to grow older.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying that the mystery in this book was so great and wonderful and a "perfect title" to the book.

Click to see Spoiler:
    who cares if Snape is the HBP or not? Seriously. I didn't care who the HBP was because it had absolutely no connection to the story. None whatsoever. Maybe it did and I'm just missing it tho. If I am, can someone explain it to me? So Snape is good at Potions, so what?

Also, altho the Horcruxes idea is pretty fascinating, and perfectly sets up for the 7th book, the story of them really weakened the plot imo. In the other books, they are their own separate plots, all being tied together about the major plot of defeating Voldie. They are books that can stand on their own as mysteries that need to be solved and a villian that keeps finding new and ingenious ways to get to his prey. Of course, you need the whole backstory on Harry and Co but you can read, say PoA or CoS, SS, GoF or OOtP and still grasp the concept, understand the book, and want to help Harry defeat Voldie. This book, however, is not able to stand on its own. It is just one big set-up for the 7th one but it had no mystery in and of itself which was disappointing because altho I'm interested in the main plot, I also love the individual story of each and every book.

Another thing that I would like to know, do you think it is possible for Sirius to come back? I know it was discussed ad nausem when it actually happened in the book and Harry tried so hard to communicate w/ him (like using the mirror) but do you think it is still possible? I mean, he was my favorite character of all and she did dedicate an entire book to him; would she have killed him so unceremoniously like that? I need reassurance that in the last book, he'll magically appear out of nowhere. Harry needs
    some sort of consolation prize for everything he has gone through, right?
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

FORT Newbie
    My theory is that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry will discover he is a Horcrux, giving JKR the opportunity for Harry to kill Voldemort and himself thus ending the series. Since I'm pretty sure she's only writing 7 books. !

I just finished reading this book last night and I am so glad I stayed away from all the spoilers. I really think this was one of the best ones she wrote and I was not disappointed at all. Everyone on here has some great theories for the seventh book, and I really think JKR is going to have to write quite the novel to satisfy her fans. The only thing I am disappointed about is the fact that I have to wait about 2 years till the next one is released.

Picked up the book on Monday and just finished reading it. I think that this is the best book J.K. has written since "Prisoner of Azkaban." Some parts (especially in the first half of the book) were so funny I could help laughing out loud. And the parts that weren't funny were touching, frightening, gut-wrenching...all very emotional.

Click to see Spoiler:
    But I cannot believe Dumbledore is dead! I stayed away from all spoilers so I had no idea it was coming. I did think Dumbledore would die but I thought it would be in the 7th book and that Voldemort would kill him. Dumbledore's final two chapters were so sad; he was my favorite character and listening to him in pain and pleading (first with Harry in the cave then with Snape at the tower) was almost heartbreaking. The part about the Fawkes' song of grief made me choke up. I can understand why Harry wouldn't want to return to Hogwarts; not only does he have a need for revenge but also the school will not be the same without Dumbledore. How could it be?

I couldn't believe myself, but I actually felt sorry for Malfoy in this one. As soon as Myrtle told Harry that someone (a boy) was coming into the bathroom to cry I knew it was Malfoy. I mean...who wouldn't be torn apart by the idea that you would probably end up dying at the age of 16 trying to kill someone you didn't want to kill in the first place. And really he was only doing it so Voldemort wouldn't hurt his mother....Poor Malfoy, I hope he ditches the Death Eaters and joins the Order in the next book. His scenes in this book gave him so much dimension and so many possibilities I'd hate to see him take the obvious route and just become evil.

The scenes with the reanimated corpses in the lake were so chilling! This book will make one truly excellent movie!

I loved this one. Spectacular! Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet are still my two faves. Just wanted to say to everyone: loved reading your theories! Fantastic! I agree with or find intriguing many of them, especially the horcrux theory. Also agree that this ties up loose ends and snuffs other concerns about the story arc of the series. Brilliant. I also agree that this sounded slightly different. I.e her "voice", her style was slightly, I don't know....just slightly different in this one. The pacing was different. But still good. But I noticed less detail, i.e. the flow was so quick in many places: they're in a class for three sentences, then in bed in the next paragraph, then it's a week later in the next.

Also, Dinahann, I completely know what you're talking about. I.e. even as I stood in line to purchase mine, I was already thinking, "crap, I'll read this and then hunger for more! Rawr!" Yes, the Potter books have a way of (slightly) tainting everything you read afterwards, for just a little bit anyway. Dangit that we have to wait TWO YEARS for the blank and the blank blank to be solved! And then what? THEN WHAT? *sigh*
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe that stuff Dumbledore drank was actually that draught of living death. I think it was introduced the first day of potions?
    Nah. It wouldn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by snow-phoenix
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe that stuff Dumbledore drank was actually that draught of living death. I think it was introduced the first day of potions?
    Nah. It wouldn't make sense.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I'd say you could be right except for the fact that Snape used the Avada Kedavra curse on him. Even if he were under the influence of the Drought of Living Death (i.e. slipping into a coma) the Avada Kedavra curse would still have killed him.

....I wish it was the drought of living death!

I kept waiting for Fawkes to save the day.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread