+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on July 16

I finished the book yesterday and have been running over some possibilities. Here's my crackpot theory:

[I could be totally wrong, but here's what I'm thinking: Snape still isn't really evil, and he was working for Dumbledore when he killed him. He had to kill him, because of the Unbreakable Vow or whatever, and Dumbledore maybe felt like he was an acceptable sacrifice as Snape's position in the battle was too important to concede. My reasoning: in "Elf Tails," Hagrid tells Harry that Snape is arguing with Dumbledore about not wanting to do it anymore (presumably be a double agent), but Dumbledore insists he has to continue. We still don't really know why Dumbledore trusts Snape - it must be something big and the fact that it hasn't been revealed (even tho Harry thinks it has) proves that there is more to the story. Snape wouldn't let Harry use an unforgiveable curse - granted it was against him, but he seemed interested in keeping Harry from corrupting himself.

I figured Dumbledore was going to not survive into book 7 because Harry has to be the main protagonist and can't rely on a more powerful wizard for help. The surprise was in Snape doing it, but I think it will prove to be ambiguous and Harry will work with Snape in the end to bring down Voldemort.

Anyone have any ideas about RAB?
    ]

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yocedeith
    I finished the book yesterday and have been running over some possibilities. Here's my crackpot theory:

[I could be totally wrong, but here's what I'm thinking: Snape still isn't really evil, and he was working for Dumbledore when he killed him. He had to kill him, because of the Unbreakable Vow or whatever, and Dumbledore maybe felt like he was an acceptable sacrifice as Snape's position in the battle was too important to concede. My reasoning: in "Elf Tails," Hagrid tells Harry that Snape is arguing with Dumbledore about not wanting to do it anymore (presumably be a double agent), but Dumbledore insists he has to continue. We still don't really know why Dumbledore trusts Snape - it must be something big and the fact that it hasn't been revealed (even tho Harry thinks it has) proves that there is more to the story. Snape wouldn't let Harry use an unforgiveable curse - granted it was against him, but he seemed interested in keeping Harry from corrupting himself.

I figured Dumbledore was going to not survive into book 7 because Harry has to be the main protagonist and can't rely on a more powerful wizard for help. The surprise was in Snape doing it, but I think it will prove to be ambiguous and Harry will work with Snape in the end to bring down Voldemort.

Anyone have any ideas about RAB?
    ]
    My first thought was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Sirius' Brother

Good call!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I also think the last bit of Tom's soul was contained in Dumbledore.. its a long shot, but fits, we never did hear about why his hand was black and dead.. maybe THATs part of why Snape Killed him. Or even Harry is the last Horcrux.. the scar and all and his having so much of Voldys powers. Again just a thought.

Click to see Spoiler:
    You guys rock!
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Here are my 2 cents

Click to see Spoiler:
    I can't stand the thought of Snape being evil either, two many fantasies built around Alan Rickman as him, so. . . .

The letter said the TRUE Horcrux, could mean the others are plants, or more generally evilness/emotions or just will (like in the Neverending story) then peices of the soul. I'm with whoever said it was placed In dumbledore - what is more 'Hogwarts' than Dumbledore and what better way to control the place than by having a peice of soul in him? Dumbledore is all houses and all wizards - he is also the person that showed Riddle who he really was and what he was capable of, and with him being buried at Hogwarts - makes that peice of the soul still available and influential. I think Dumby figured this out as the soul started to assert itself more - As I was reading it I was thinking how Dumby was acting like the Riddle he was describing - he was becoming a 'collector' and looking to collect that which was most important to Riddle, including memories of his past - memories taken by Dunby just before people died, so he was the only one in possession. He even got the Slyth ring (despite a curse being used on him - forgot where it was mentioned, but Dumby did say the hand was the result of a curse, that had Snape not fixed would have gone further). Dumby realized what was happening and knew the only way out of his power being fully corrupted was death - As Dumby is also a host to Riddle, Snape is as beholden to him as he is to Riddle and so wouldn't betray him. Dumby begged Snape to kill him, to end it. Snape obeyed. (And I say, that in the time with Dumby, Snape has become reformed, realized what he did - and while still haunted by memories, has discovered the truth that love is more powerful - but is doing what needs to be done for the final battle to end. Remember, the Phoenix is a metaphor for all life - from the ashes of this major battle beauty will grow, it's the way it is in our lives, out of every war comes medical and technilogical advances that shepherd us into a new age, it is a fact of life and growth. Humans cannot live w/out conflict, it is as necessarry as food and water and air).

So I was worried going into the book, hearing the rumors. I knew the book had to be Snapes, I mean really - an old potions book found in Snapes old room? I actually liked it better than the last one.

Just finished it, and I don't believe all is as what it appears to be. How do you post in spoiler mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    How do you post in spoiler mode?
    [ spoiler] [ /spoiler]

Take out the spaces in the brackets.

I do not like the way the books are heading. I do not agree with
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry missing his last year of school. (the teacher in me!) I don't like the thought of him searching for the other Horcruxes w/o Hermione and Ron, because Dumbledore stressed the importance of having friends. I was looking the whole time for a way out, Dumbledore really wasn't dead, or Fawkes resurrected him at the last moment ... until I read about his portrait appearing on the wall. That's where I lost it.

Okay ... anyone know when the next book is due!?!?!
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2
    Okay ... anyone know when the next book is due!?!?!
    I believe JK said 2 years.

+ Reply to Thread