+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on July 16

I STILL haven't gotten my copy!
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by cahalanmac
    Has anyone else finished yet? I am in serious need of comforting. This is...heartbreaking.

I've been trying, but haven't been able to get into it. Had it since two, I am ususally a super fast reader - but have only gotten a few pages into it. *sigh* somethings up with it.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cahalanmac
    Has anyone else finished yet? I am in serious need of comforting. This is...heartbreaking.
    I finished it this afternoon. You are right, it is heartbreaking. I don't really find the story itself too terribly sad, but I am mostly upset because it is not at all what I had hoped for. The plot twist was a bad choice IMO.
    "The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."
    Rita Mae Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I hate when people dismiss it like Harry Potter fans are a bunch of twits that are incapable of reading at an adult level.

And they say it with such a tone in their voice.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Kao
    As sad as it was, it was also brilliant, since I have no clue as to what box Jo's going to be working out of in the last book. It's extremely open-ended now. As far as the major horrible thing that happened, I wouldn't have seen that one coming if you paid me. I knew this book was going to be the business just looking at the back cover art...that said it all to me. Actually, the whole book was full of evil turns like that. I felt really, really sorry for characters I previously couldn't stand, and was disgusted and horrified by others. The event that happened in the last chapter really made me cry, especially the part about the centaurs.

I'm still confused about who the freaking half-blood prince was. Was it *beep* or was it *beep's* relative?

it was *beep*. Because of relative, but still *beep*

well done JK!
    Last edited by Jamie5632; 07-17-2005 at 12:23 AM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray Wonderputt Champion FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    As sad as it was, it was also brilliant, since I have no clue as to what box Jo's going to be working out of in the last book. It's extremely open-ended now. As far as the major horrible thing that happened, I wouldn't have seen that one coming if you paid me. I knew this book was going to be the business just looking at the back cover art...that said it all to me. Actually, the whole book was full of evil turns like that. I felt really, really sorry for characters I previously couldn't stand, and was disgusted and horrified by others. The event that happened in the last chapter really made me cry, especially the part about the centaurs.

I'm still confused about who the freaking half-blood prince was. Was it *beep* or was it *beep's* relative?

yes, it was bleep.. bleep told him right off it was bleep.

Too many bleeps. sigh

I dont think Jo did this one justice.. I still hold POA as my fave of the 6.. I hope she makes up for it in the last one.

Kao
    That's what I thought. Then I got confused when Hermoine was talking to Harry about finding out about *bleep's* relative and that the HBP could be female. Plus, according to different sites, Rowling said that the HBP wasn't *bleep* but that's because we had the impression that the individual was pureblooded when in fact that wasn't so.

This book is more ground-clearing for Book 7, IMO. POA is my fav too, but I have to admit, as far as emotion and expect the unexprected goes this one really gutted me. *spoilers are vague, but I covered them anyway as to not have someone spoil htemselves by guessing*
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I always knew for several reason that this character had good reasons for "leaving" (especially since they couldn't truly "go" in the sense that others might go) but it still ripped me to shreds, especially the way the reaction of a certain animal was depicted.
    The ending scene made me hate certain people, and it's not the usual suspects, either; that's what I liked about it.

Agreed about this one. I thought it was very well done the way she tied up everything and answers the hows and whys, so I liked it more as paving the way for 7 than on its own as just plain 6. I do like the new, more grown up Harry and how he handles things and I thought the twists and turns of this one were very good. A good book to be sure; not the best of the series, but still good.

And, Kao, I'm not totally sure how to spoiler tag and really don't want to spoil this, so I will just say I completely agree with the last sentence of your spoiler. I was going along thinking I should probably be more upset than I was (I was sad to see it happen, but not crushed as it seemed inevitable), then that reaction came along and I was done!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray Wonderputt Champion FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    That's what I thought. Then I got confused when Hermoine was talking to Harry about finding out about *bleep's* relative and that the HBP could be female. Plus, according to different sites, Rowling said that the HBP wasn't *bleep* but that's because we had the impression that the individual was pureblooded when in fact that wasn't so.

This book is more ground-clearing for Book 7, IMO. POA is my fav too, but I have to admit, as far as emotion and expect the unexprected goes this one really gutted me. *spoilers are vague, but I covered them anyway as to not have someone spoil htemselves by guessing*
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I always knew for several reason that this character had good reasons for "leaving" (especially since they couldn't truly "go" in the sense that others might go) but it still ripped me to shreds, especially the way the reaction of a certain animal was depicted.
    The ending scene made me hate certain people, and it's not the usual suspects, either; that's what I liked about it.
    See now maybe thats why this didnt hit me as hard.. I never assumed that.. and after OOP, it was less assumed on my part..

+ Reply to Thread