+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best Reads of 2004

Originally Posted by Salome
    Perfume by Patrick Suskind - Again, indescribable.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Grotesque but compelling. This is totally a great rec.
    I just had to second that. It's been several years since I read it, but Perfume still comes back to haunt me every once in a while. A must-read.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Oh crap. I neglected to include Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, which left me weird for days. I'll put it at #3 and bump the rest of my list down. Sorry, Dan Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Grotesque but compelling. This is totally a great rec.
    nausicaa, are you going to make a list? Please?
    All these recommendations! I guess I'm going to have to read American Gods now.

Middlesex is indeed a great book. It would probably have been #1 or 2 on my list, but I think I read it last year.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

My favourite book this year has been "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. An impossible book to describe. Not my usual type of book, but the premise intrigued me. I'm not even going to try to describe the plot, but it's a superbly written collection of interlinked stories. It was favourite for this year's Booker prize but didn't win. Check out the book reviews online. There are lots of them.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Don't have much time to write this, but I thought what theheck, it's the end of the year! So here goes, my top 5:

1) The Essential Rumi - reading this in conjunction with Gibran's The Prophet will give you the best literary buzz you've had all year.

2) Snow by Orhan Pamuk -" Beautiful! Beautiful!" she blubbers. Unfortunately also incomprehensible, but what I'll give to scale the full measure of its forbidding heights (and no doubt depths.)

3) We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Familes: Stories from Rwanda (whew!) by Philip Gourevitch - trenchant and comprehensive and heartwrenching, for the cynic who's lost all faith in responsible journalism.

4) The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac - On the Road's less popular but worthier cousin.

5) Restoration by Rose Tremain - turn yer champagne glass down for one of the best writers from across the pond. This historical fiction is of the finest.

None of which was published this year. Oh well. I considered giving a berth to Philip Roth's Plot Against America (which was), but thought better of it. I like these 5 the best. I'm behind the times.

CCL
    Of books published this year, I quite enjoyed Murder on the Leviathan by Boris Akunin (English translation). There is a murderer on board the ship Leviathan and it is up to French detective Gustave Gauche & Russian diplomat Erast Fandorin to discover the killer among them. (Also check out The Winter Queen, the first Fandorin book).

If anyone is into Old Hollywood, I highly recommend Natasha: The Biography of Natalie Wood by Suzanne Finstead. Natalie led a fascinating life and ultimately, mysterious death. From having a crazy stage mother, to her lifelong fear of water (ironically, she died when she drowned in 1981), to her many romances with various Hollywood stars, it's a very interesting book. She's one of my favorite actresses but I read this book before I was that into her. Its a great read!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345