+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Trashy Romance Novel readers out there?

Any Trashy Romance Novel readers out there?

I hate to admit it but I occasionally read trashy romance novels. Not the chick lit kind but the ones you see in the store with scantily clad people on the front. My first one was given to me by my grandma at the age of 18 and I have been hooked ever since.
    Does anyone else read these types of books? I am sure there are some closet romance novel readers out there. What do you like, historical or current day? When did you start reading these books?

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    I will admit, that I also sometimes spend Saturday afternoons on the couch with a semi-smutty (or completely smutty) novel. It's kind of like an addiction, because most of them I've read have very predictable. laughable plot lines and the writing is so-so, but I just can't put them down! Sometimes I just can't get enough of the willful, fiery heroine and the painfully handsome, chiseled featured man who she hates at first, but then realizes she can't live without!

I prefer modern day to historical, and I actually hadn't read any romance novels until a few years ago when one of my friends strongly recommended that I read "The Pirate and the Pagan" by Virginia Henley.

FORT Fogey
    I usually don't like romance novels, but I will admit to wasting more than one afternoon with a Bertrice Small novel.

I have to admit I have a thing for trashy romance novels. Love historical ones (Amanda Quick is a favourite). Some modern ones are okay (like Nora Roberts). They are so totally predictable, but they are great because I can read them quickly and they don't take much thought. I originally started reading Harlequin and Silhouette books when I was about 14. I bought second hand ones for a few years and at one point had about 1000 of them. I grew out of this stage and got rid of most of them and started reading primarily suspense, mystery and non-fiction. I have gotten back in to them since becoming a parent though as I find that non-fiction is a bit too involved for me right now, with working and parenting.
    At this turning point in our relationship with Earth, we work for an evolution: from dominance to partnership; from fragmentation to connection; from insecurity, to interdependence. The David Suzuki Foundation

Are you kidding me?

Where I used to work, I was called the "librarian". Not only did I spend a fortune on romance novels, but I lent them to others as well. Pure escapism is great. Reality is sometimes overrated.

I consider a book a winner, when the characters are well developed and the dialog is snappy. I have many favorites so I will just name a few.

Victoria Alexander (I love her writing style so much, I order the books that are out of print)
    Sandra Hill (her Viking books are fabulous)
    Stephanie Lauren (her books about the Cynster family are great)
    Julie Garwood (I've enjoyed every book she's published)
    Julia Quinn (I can't get enough of her books-I own them all)
    Susan Elizabeth Phillips (her books are emotional roller coasters)

So to answer your question...yes, I like reading romance novels.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Julie Garwood (I've enjoyed every book she's published)
    So to answer your question...yes, I like reading romance novels.
    Julie Garwood is one of my favorites as well, I have enjoyed all of her books as well. I primarily read historical fiction although I do read some modern day ones.
    I often joke with friends that one day I might write my own romance novel because most of them have the same plot and idea. Beautiful woman with green or purple eyes, hot, muscular man who has a temper. They fight the whole book but realize at the end they love each other. See I have a story I can go with for a book.
    I am so happy there are more romance novel readers out there.

count me in.. I picked up my first harlequin at the tender age of 13. I could devour one of those in about an hour and a half, I moved on to mystery, suspence and courtroom novels. I find I don't read much non-fiction anymore.. it's just not trite enough LOL

anyone ever read Jayne Castle (aka Jane Anne Krentz)? I loved the flower series Amarillis, Zinnia, Orchid. They all have a futureistic 'mystical' quality to them.

I looooooooove Nora Roberts - she has her own thread in this forum and I love her other personality JD Robb. I devour everything she writes.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Duxxy, sounds like we have a lot of common tastes in reading. Jane Anne Krentz (aka Jayne Castle and Amanda Quick) is one of my favourite authors. I prefer the Amanda Quick historical ones, but anything by her is great.

And Nora Roberts is great fun. Both of these authors seem to make the overly predictable and silly plot lines enjoyable.

And you like chick lit too.

My real passion has become non-fiction, but when I read fiction I like pure fluff.
    At this turning point in our relationship with Earth, we work for an evolution: from dominance to partnership; from fragmentation to connection; from insecurity, to interdependence. The David Suzuki Foundation

Count me in. I love all the paperbacks. Danielle Steele is good. Janet Daly used to be a favorite. Jayne Anne Krentz I like. I used to work in a used book store. That was my kind of job. I'd leave work every night with a big arm full of books. Read them in a few days and return them to the shelves. then I'd be ready to recommend them to the customers. Of course I think every one ever written has the same plot, but they sure can take your mind off other things.
    I actually pick up little tidbits from ever one I read too. All kinds of information that I can later use. When I plan trips I usually remember something I want to see along the way based on a novel I've read.

I like a good trashy romance novel, especially the historical ones. I love anything by Catherine Coulter. Bertrice Small is good, but she really has this thing about flat-chested women. If you ignore that little fetish, her writing is pretty good. I love Julie Garwood - she has a dry sense of humor style of writing I think is hilarious.

Maybe I like the historicals because the men act so alpha male and sexist but you can't hate them for it because they're from the 13th or 19th century. If a modern guy acted all protective and told me what to do I'd end up in a screaming match with him.

I love Jane Austen, the original trashy chick lit novelist IMO. If you like Jane Austen, you should give Georgette Heyer a try. She wrote in the 1920's about Jane Austen's time. She has great plots, more risque and with more independent heroines than you find in Jane Austen's novels, but she still has a closer understanding of the strictures of society than modern novelists do.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast