+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Any Trashy Romance Novel readers out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I look forward to seeing how you sneak them back to her place, yardgnome.
    I will keep you posted, I am planning the sneak attack with the books this weekend! She thinks we will be bartering but she is keeping them all!
    Thanks for the offer Broadway, I have read so many poor books this year I should really take a break for the next 6 or 7 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    Your post was so cool. I loved the passion you showed for your "chosen field." Are there "rules" about what goes into a novel that makes it romance genre? (I saw someone else's post mentioning a For Dummies book, but checked and my library doesn't have it.)

I just Googled "RWA National Conference" and saw the next one is in Reno. I wonder if I could get hubby to drive me up there.

Do you think that sending a box of books home, either UPS or USPS, would be cheaper than paying an overweight bag charge?
    Sorry not to answer sooner, Harvest. I've been in my cave writing for the last 2 months. I am so excited for Reno. This year, I'm just going to bring an empty bag and spread the books (and laundry) out between the bags. As long as the books aren't all in one, it should be cool with the airline.

As for rules, the genre is always evolving, although even within the RWA, debates rage as to what is and isn't romance. There is only one thing that the publishers really require right now: a happily ever after ending, and sex only between consenting adults.

If you are interested in writing, the RWA is a fantastic place to start. Conferences are very supportive to the unpubbed, with workshops for all levels of writers. National is the biggest conference, but smaller regional ones happen all year long. There are chapters all over the country, as well as online chapters, such as RWAOnline that I belong to. We have a couple of members at RWAOnline who have published 30, 50, and even 95 books; it's great to post with these people because they know so much about the industry.

If you are more interested in reading, definitely come to the Wednesday night (July 27?) signing if you are anywhere near Reno. It's open to the public, all proceeds go to literacy charities, and some 300-400 authors are all sitting in one huge ballroom signing copies of their books. Last year I passed by Christine Feehan's table 3 or 4 times before I had the nerve to stop and talk to her. To get into the smaller, publisher-hosted free book signings, you have to be signed up for the conference.

Now, back to my cave. I have a manuscript to finish before Reno.

Anybody read anything good lately? I am getting ready to go to Europe for about two weeks and I need some books to take to keep me occupied on the plane. I always like to take a couple of Trashy Romance Novels (TRN) along for an easy read. I am looking for suggestions, I like historicals!

I really liked "The Paid Companion" by Amanda Quick -- a Regency romance with a mystery plot -- enough to keep my brain occupied on the rainy Sunday I picked it up. AND the cover isn't all lurid Fabio-type.
    Here's an Amazon link:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...27850?v=glance
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Newbie
    I'll admit I like to read romance novals every now and then. When I was younger thats all I would read. Now I read all types of books. I used to love to read romance books that were set in the 1800's. Now I read romance novals set now or ones set about Vampires falling in love. Thats about one I just finished.

I'm reading to kill a mockingbird. (Is that romance?)
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Quote Originally Posted by SentFromHeaven View Post
    I'm reading to kill a mockingbird. (Is that romance?)
    Hardly. It's a wonderful book, though.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    OMG!!! I go to yardsales all summer and pick up trash novels for a quarter or less!! I am so glad I am not the only bodice ripper freak on the FORT. I like them all. I read Unconquered at the age of 12 and was hooked. I read them all. Harliquin(sp) and Amanda Quick, Nora Roberts KAREN ROBARDS (laugh out loud funny) The list goes on and on.......

I had a creative writing teacher who traded with me in school. We callled them mind candy.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I used to read a lot of trashy romance novels...back in the 70's and 80's. Usually read them between the heavier books, just to give my mind a break. I don't read them anymore.

Two of my favorite writers were Rosemary Rogers (Sweet, Savage Love...HOT!) and Bertrice Small, historical romance novels featuring Skye O'Malley. Hmmm...maybe it's time I look around for a new romance novel. LOL

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    Quote Originally Posted by kattatude View Post
    I used to read a lot of trashy romance novels...back in the 70's and 80's. Usually read them between the heavier books, just to give my mind a break. I don't read them anymore.

Two of my favorite writers were Rosemary Rogers (Sweet, Savage Love...HOT!) and Bertrice Small, historical romance novels featuring Skye O'Malley. Hmmm...maybe it's time I look around for a new romance novel. LOL

I loved the Skye O'Mally series! I have read and re-read them all a number of times. I also am a fan of the Janet Daily Calder series. I lean toward the historical romance novels if I'm reading romance, which I haven't done for quite awhile. I think it's time to pick something up. One of my all time favorites was " Love's tender fury" read that to death, finally had to throw it away (recycle bin) by Jennifer Wilde , this was also a series, but the first is the most memorable.
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

+ Reply to Thread