+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Any Trashy Romance Novel readers out there?

My favorite author in this genre is Jill Barnett. Her stories are witty and quick paced, and the characters are a little off beat. It's always and fun, easy read.

Quote Originally Posted by yardgnome77
    If anyone is looking for a way to purchase romance novels cheap, SueEllen and I just bought 50+ romance novels on Ebay for about $20, we are splitting them so for $10 I will have a years worth of reading (although my brain more than likely will turn to mush.). Now we will see if any of these are quality books, but it is pretty exciting knowing that we are receiving tons of books for about .40 each. What a deal!
    I just want to say we received our books and I have started into some of them already. Now keep in mind these are harlequin romance novels, most of them written in the 80's. Some of these books are just horrible, the men are so sexist, and if I have to read about one more misunderstanding I can going to toss these out the window. A word to the wise, what seemed like a good deal may be making me slightly insane!

I am not a Harlequin gal. For some reason my "ladies fiction" has to have some sort of supernatural aspect(usually vampires) and lots of mystery. Throw in a little hot and heavy but not necesarily "the deed" and I am happy. There is one writer that I read last summer. My dear friend lent me a series of her books, but I can not remember her name now. Good times all the same. I just like to read.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

bringing this thread off the 2nd page. I love reading romance novels. I want my HEA. I hate movies and books with sad endings. life is bad enough, I want escapism.

One of my favorite authors of this genre that I didn't read about is Suzanne Brockmann. She is an author that I will not be able to put the book down without reading it all the way through. She writes a navy seal series for Silhouette Intimate Moments. These are the first books of hers I read and I had to go buy every book I could of hers.

Now she has some longer mainstream titles now through Ballantine, also about Navy Seals that also include some WWII as part of the secondary set of characters. Her secondary characters are just as fascinating as the main characters.

Can you tell I am in love with her books! Highly recommend

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yardgnome77
    I just want to say we received our books and I have started into some of them already. Now keep in mind these are harlequin romance novels, most of them written in the 80's. Some of these books are just horrible, the men are so sexist, and if I have to read about one more misunderstanding I can going to toss these out the window. A word to the wise, what seemed like a good deal may be making me slightly insane!

I saw that this thread was bumped up, and I am ashamed to admit that out of the 50-some books that I purchased off eBay, I have read... one. I honestly can't get past the covers! Since the books were written in the 80s, the pictures are really, really terrible. The man (sexist hero) on the cover of the one I managed to read looked like he was 65, although he was only supposed to be 40. The woman on the cover looked young, so it had kind of a creepy inappropriate father/ daughter relationship feel.

yardgnome keeps threatening to return her half of the books to me, but luckily I've managed to avoid the situation so far!

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllenMishke
    yardgnome keeps threatening to return her half of the books to me, but luckily I've managed to avoid the situation so far!
    All I have to say is these books are leaving my house and going to yours!
    I unfortunately read my 25 of the Ebay purchased books, they were not good but I could not stop reading them. I don't recommend buying books from the 80's on Ebay, they are no good!

I look forward to seeing how you sneak them back to her place, yardgnome.

And if y'all are looking for some Harlequins that probably go far back into the 70s, if not 60's (?), I can raid my mother's basement for ya. She's got several large moving box-sized boxes full of them. So far she's refused to part with them for some God unbeknownst reason, but..... for you guys... anything!

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I look forward to seeing how you sneak them back to her place, yardgnome.

And if y'all are looking for some Harlequins that probably go far back into the 70s, if not 60's (?), I can raid my mother's basement for ya. She's got several large moving box-sized boxes full of them. So far she's refused to part with them for some God unbeknownst reason, but..... for you guys... anything!

Um... thanks for the kind offer Broadway, but I could never ask your mother to part with her treasures!

As for yardgnome's plan, I will only take her books as a straight-up trade for my unread ones, (and the terrible one I read). I can only have so many of those books in my home at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    I came home with 50 paperbacks in my suitcase--I had to pay an overweight bag charge at the airport!
    Your post was so cool. I loved the passion you showed for your "chosen field." Are there "rules" about what goes into a novel that makes it romance genre? (I saw someone else's post mentioning a For Dummies book, but checked and my library doesn't have it.)

I just Googled "RWA National Conference" and saw the next one is in Reno. I wonder if I could get hubby to drive me up there.

Do you think that sending a box of books home, either UPS or USPS, would be cheaper than paying an overweight bag charge?

I love Romance novels. One of my big requirements in them is that there actually BE romance. My second requirement is snappy dialogue. Since I'm unemployed, I avoid the book stores. Maybe book exchanges are the answer at this time. I think I already posted by fav authors here and don't want to mention them again while they are out of reach.

+ Reply to Thread