+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Any Trashy Romance Novel readers out there?

Dinahann, maybe we could just show up and act like we know what we're doing. They might let us in. Of course they could also throw us out in front of everybdy. I would't like that too much. I like to keep a low profile.
    There was a big meeting, convention, whatever it's called, in Memphis last week end. It was on the mall and many authors were present. I had really intended to go but it rained like crazy for the whole time. First rain we'd had in five weeks.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    Have you guys checked out the Romance Writers of America? It is a wonderful organization for anyone serious about getting into the business. They are for both published and unpublished authors alike (something like 2000 of 8000 members are published). The regional chapters hold mini-conferences all the time, with workshops for beginners as well as pros. The chapters also hold contests, often with editors as final judges. I was finalist in the greater Seattle RWA chapter's contest last year, and as a result won a half-hour private meeting with an editor from Avon at the Seattle conference. Eventually, she still rejected my manuscript, but I got to tell her all about being on Monster House, so I know she will remember me next time!

Thanks MalibuPam. Now we just have to actually finish writing the thing! Good luck with your manuscript. It sounds like you've definitely put your time in!

I'm currently reading a book by Jennifer Crusie, and I'm really impressed. The story is good, the writing is witty, and it's only semi-smutty, (okay, I'll admit that sometimes I really enjoy the smut, but in this case I don't miss it). It's got me riveted, and I was up way too late last night reading. I overslept and was late to work this morning, but what can you do? Sometimes romance novels are just more important than work!

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllenMishke
    I'm currently reading a book by Jennifer Crusie, and I'm really impressed.
    She was one of the keynote speakers at last years national conference in NYC. She was really funny and very inspirational. Everyone got a copy of her latest book as a table favor at the luncheon. Which are you reading?

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    She was one of the keynote speakers at last years national conference in NYC. She was really funny and very inspirational. Everyone got a copy of her latest book as a table favor at the luncheon. Which are you reading?
    I'm reading "Faking It." It's pretty funny and has great dialogue. I'm sure she was a fantastic and entertaining speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllenMishke
    I'm reading "Faking It."
    Something about an artist, right, and secrets in the basement? That was the one we got at the luncheon. I can't remember why, but she told us that book was nearly the end of her.

Just wanted to let everyone know I finished reading a book called Merry Christmas Baby and it is horrible. It is a book with six short Christmas stories in it. One of the six stories are good. I would not go near this book with a ten foot pole! :phhht

I'm reading Death By Inferior Design - Lesile Caine.
    It's a little campy but if you go in for the mystery/romance kinda thing this is a good light read
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Great Deal!

If anyone is looking for a way to purchase romance novels cheap, SueEllen and I just bought 50+ romance novels on Ebay for about $20, we are splitting them so for $10 I will have a years worth of reading (although my brain more than likely will turn to mush.). Now we will see if any of these are quality books, but it is pretty exciting knowing that we are receiving tons of books for about .40 each. What a deal!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I swear you can find anything on ebay

Good for you Malibu!

I read my way through my share of trashy Harlequins years ago . For books that no-one admits to reading, they sure sell a pile of them. I haven't read any in a while, mostly because I haven't read a lot of anything . Pure fun, and I always loved the descriptions of the places. They were like travel brochures.

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    Currently i am reading, "Disappearing Acts" by Terri McMillan. It is good so far. Other romance novels i have read was a lot of Urban Fiction books like, "A Hustler's Wife", "Me and My Boyfriend", "Black" all of these are published on Triple Crown Publications.
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

+ Reply to Thread