+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Any Trashy Romance Novel readers out there?

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    I tried listening to a couple of audio books but I just couldn't get into them. Never got past the first chapter on either book I tried. I think it's because they don't sound like they do in my head. Anyways, I can get them from the library too just a download away. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

I just ordered it from Audiobookstand.com (get a lot of audio books from this site) and will listen to in the car. It helps relieve the stress of the commute. 'Sides I can never figure out how to pronouce half of the names and I just let the reader do it for me.
    Have you ever left the tape in when someone else gets in the car? That could cause some really embrassing moments I'm thinking.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;2184149;
    Have you ever left the tape in when someone else gets in the car? That could cause some really embrassing moments I'm thinking.
    No, never had that problem. My car's passenger's front seat is a mini office and it hard for anyone to sit there. Normally, when I have people in the car we talk so I never been embarassed beyond belief because of the scene the reader is describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;2184149;
    I tried listening to a couple of audio books but I just couldn't get into them. Never got past the first chapter on either book I tried. I think it's because they don't sound like they do in my head. Anyways, I can get them from the library too just a download away. Maybe I'll try again sometime.
    The readers don't bother me, cause I don't have any expections as to how they will sound. I am just in a mindset to be entertained. What does bother me is getting used to a reader for a particular series and the publisher changes readers. When I first started listening to Lindsay Davis's Marcus Didius Falco muder series set in 32AD Rome, I must admit the elderly actor's slowpokey speech pattern was annoying at first but he pronouced Latin names properly which is why it was annoying when they got a different actor to read the books he pronouced things differently. See that old Latin they used to make you take in high school is worth something.

I had the same problem when they switched readers for Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.

BTW I would luv to see both series done as films. The Lindsay Davis series on PBS of course and Stephanie Plum on the big screen.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just finished Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. She write a series centered around a fictional pro football team and their wives. Her novels are extremely funny and romantic. Her characters are well written with flaws and all. I highly recommend her books.

Re: Any Trashy Romance Novel readers out there?

I don't know if this qualifies as trashy - in fact, I'm pretty sure most people would call it classy (or maybe literary) romance, but I'm a big fan of Anne Rivers Siddons and Kristin Hannah. I considered creating a new thread, but couldn't think of a clever title. "Any Classy Romance Novel readers out there?" would seem a bit offensive towards this thread, wouldn't it, and anyway, I'm not sure I've got the romance terminology right just yet. In any case, I've binged on Kristin Hannah novels over the weekend and am officially addicted. So far, I've read The Things We Do For Love, On Mystic Lake, and Between Sisters. All three are heart-warming, engaging, set in beautiful places you want to visit (rural Washington state - I'm so there!) and leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy. Most of the time, you can foretell the ending about one third into the novel, but I only find that endearing and safe. The literary equivalent of mashed potatoes.

Oh yeah, I also read Nora Roberts and the occasional Harlequin novel. In fact, back in college, I almost got a job as a translator of Harlequin novels. To this day, I bear a grudge towards those damn proof readers. "Not the right Harlequin tone" my foot.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Me! Me! LOL I'm such a romance novel fan. I've got about 50 stacked up on the still need to read list and keep buying more.

I love Nina Bangs for paranormal romances but right now I'm very into the sugary sweet romances from Harlequin Romance. That'll change though since I pretty much read them all, just depends on my mood.

I've never been a fan of Nora Roberts. I've tried reading her books but they do nothing for me.

Favorite authors (ones I own all their books):

Katie MacAllister (love her vampire and slayer books)
    Christine Feehan (although I do think her last couple aren't as good)
    Sherrilyn Kenyon (until she moved her stories from New Orleans, now I don't read her)
    Mary Janice Davidson (she is just so funny!)
    Janet Evanovich (Love Stephanie Plum!)
    Linsay Sands (Another with a great sense of humor)
    Sherri Whitefeather (writes Native American characters better than anybody, IMO)
    Lindsay McKenna (write military romances better than anybody, IMO)

Ok, I admit it, I love trashy romances too; my junk food reading, have about a bazillion of 'em. My preference is definitely for historical romances. I sometimes wonder why I like them so much-- the liberties taken with historical details are grating, and the heroines are often terrible Mary Sues that rival anything found on fanfiction.net (though those authors have the excuse of being amateurs!), but they are still so addicting! Unlike my other reading, I almost never buy them new, though. Best to just buy them at thrift stores and garage sales and such... a local library where I used to live would have a large sale on occasion, and sell books by the grocery bag at times for a few dollars. Would load up on them, then!!

Once in awhile, I'll pick up a cheesy romance novel. My favorites are by Vicki Lewis Thompson. She has a nerd series that is smutty and hilarious. If anyone is interested you can check it out here: Vicki Lewis Thompson

Here are some of the titles...
    1. Nerd in Shining Armor (2003)
    2. The Nerd Who Loved Me (2004)
    3. Nerd Gone Wild (2005)
    4. Gone With the Nerd (2005)
    5. Talk Nerdy to Me (2006)
    6. Nerds Like It Hot (2006)
    7. My Nerdy Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by Pansygirl;1083270;
    count me in too and I also started reading Harlequinn romance novels in high school .(in fact I used to pretend to do my homework while reading .........didn't take my parents long to catch on to that.)
    I love Nora Roberts. I like a little suspense and I like a some historical, but mostly the romance......and like someone pointed out its such a wonderful fun relaxing way to escape the world in which we live..........smile
    I like Nora Roberts too. I like her later books that also have some suspense/mystery to them. I also like her futuristic books where she writes under the name J.D. Robb...some of them can be kind of gory but she uses the same main characters throughout the series. Detective Eve Dallas and her RICH HOT husband Roarke.
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear10;2456911;
    I like Nora Roberts too. I like her later books that also have some suspense/mystery to them. I also like her futuristic books where she writes under the name J.D. Robb...some of them can be kind of gory but she uses the same main characters throughout the series. Detective Eve Dallas and her RICH HOT husband Roarke.
    I love Fern Michaels, too. Her Justice series is really good. The Jury, Payback...those are a few. I'm also a huge Jude Devereaux fan. Someone told me I should read Knight In Shining Armor so I did and I've been hooked ever since. +
    Last edited by katgib13; 06-30-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Out of curiousity what do you think about the big paranormal trend that is now happening in romance novels???

I like the fact that the stories are going outside the normal girl meets boy senario. I also like the fact that the publishers are so hungry for stories that they are looking into published e-authors and bringing some over to the print world.

Interesting authors:

CT Adams and Cathy Clamp and their Sazi series from Tor is quite good.
    Chritine Warren and her Others series.
    Elaine Cunningham and her Shadows Series about and elf police officer.
    Shiloh Walker and her Hunters.

Totally love Katie MacAlister and how she is able to write for teens as well as adults and how her humour translates well from a standard romance to the supernatural. Check out her Aisling Grey, Guardian novels they are totally fantastic.

Personally I like the trend to the paranormal. Its interesting to see how different authors treat the material. But I do think it is a little ridiculous to see well established authors who have never dealt with the paranormal being pushed by their publishers to do so and some times really fall flat on their faces. In one sense it is good as the books must be selling very well on the other hand don't ruin the market by giving us crappy stories. I like how Jayne Ann Krentz handles these stories and how she uses different pen names to indicate to fans what kind of stories there are. I do like her Arcane stories and how she is handleing them both as historicals and modern romances.

Another side benefit are all the paranormal tv series that are now on the air and being developed. There are at least 3 vampire series going on the air. Who du thunk it just a couple of yrs ago.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread