+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King: The Dark Tower VII - 9/21

Stephen King: The Dark Tower VII - 9/21

''The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

Roland's quest ends tomorrow with the release of the seventh and last Dark Tower book. It seemed like only yesterday that the series began with his pursuit of Johnny Cash. (Kidding, of course--it's been decades in the making.)

All you King fans can find an excerpt here.

Man, that took awhile to get through. Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the interview even though Katey Couric (sp?) doesn't seem to be a big fan. I'm getting my copy tomorrow.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Man, that took awhile to get through. Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the interview even though Katey Couric (sp?) doesn't seem to be a big fan. I'm getting my copy tomorrow.
    Katie Couric can bite my Bag of Bones. (It's autographed by SK, of course.)

Remember how pumped we were when the previews for Wizard and Glass were finally released? I can't believe we're finally at the end.

[Possible spoilers for anyone who hasn't kept up with the series.]

For the longest time, I thought the Dark Tower was a structure containing doors to each of King's fictional worlds, but I've changed my mind.

I think someone, possibly Jake, needs to bring the Susannah/Roland baby to the Dark Tower and sacrifice him, ensuring the captivity of the Crimson King in the Tower for all eternity. Just a guess.

phat32*

(*Who is actually going to be tossing and turning tonight, thinking "Man, King just better not kill off that Oy...")

Thanks for the link, Phat32.
    And yeah -- while I don't think Callahan's getting out of that room, Oy just *better* make it.
    I'm excited we'll finally have closure on this series. Or -- knowing how King weaves characters in and out of different books, but also semi-remembering that King isn't writing so much anymore -- a sort-of closure.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Thanks for the link, Phat32.
    And yeah -- while I don't think Callahan's getting out of that room, Oy just *better* make it.
    I'm excited we'll finally have closure on this series. Or -- knowing how King weaves characters in and out of different books, but also semi-remembering that King isn't writing so much anymore -- a sort-of closure.
    In anticipation of the last three DT books, I re-read 'Salem's Lot. I don't even remember where I'd heard it, but somewhere along the way I picked up the fact that Callahan would play an important role in the final chapter.

I think King's treatment of Callahan in 'Salem's Lot was pretty shoddy. I think King knows it, too. And I'm happy to see that Pere Callahan is going to have a shot at redemption, a shot to go down swinging.

I mean, seriously now--in 'Salem's Lot when the vampire challenges Callahan to throw aside the cross and challenge him, was Callahan supposed to just go for it? If it had been me, I don't care if I'd read the Bible front to back the night before and taken a bath in holy water that morning, I'm not crazy enough to engage the king of the vampires in bare-knuckled 'rasslin.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    In anticipation of the last three DT books, I re-read 'Salem's Lot. I don't even remember where I'd heard it, but somewhere along the way I picked up the fact that Callahan would play an important role in the final chapter.
    phat32 that was a great idea. I should've done that too! I did go back and reread the first four Dark Tower books, but didn't even think to reread 'Salem's Lot.

Well, I got my copy of the book at 10:44 this morning. I can't wait until tonight to get started, so I've closed my office door and put the "do not disturb" sign out. Lucky Me!

phat32, did you get your copy today?
    Last edited by Dinahann; 09-21-2004 at 01:08 PM. Reason: adding to the post...
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Phat32
    I don't care if I'd read the Bible front to back the night before and taken a bath in holy water that morning, I'm not crazy enough to engage the king of the vampires in bare-knuckled 'rasslin.
    And that, my friend, is why you'll never be a true gunslinger. *shakes head in despair*

I'm almost ashamed to admit, I've never actually read Salem's Lot. I meant to after Callahan figured so largely in the next-to-last book of this series, then forgot was extremely busy. I'll write a note to myself on my hand or something.
    Dinahann, I'm jealous! Enjoy it!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

AAARGH

BB5 finale, TAR finale and the last Tower book on the same day! Why don't they spread out the good things in life a bit more.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Oh My *jumps*
    How exciting. I can't wait to read the final book. I can't believe it's really over. I've spent so many years waiting for the next book , when I finish the current one.

I can not wait. I plan on picking up a copy on my way home, but i don't think i will be able to read it until this weekend. I've waited this long. I guess a couple more days won't kill me, (but it will hurt).
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast