+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lit 101

FORT Fogey

Lit 101

I don't remember seeing a thread for this before, but I noticed that here and there were some "literature" discussions. So, I thought I'd give this a try. Remember the stuff you had to read (or are having to read) in High School? Did you get a profound epiphany from any of your required reading? Which pieces of Lit did you really enjoy or really despise? I'd love to hear/discuss them. Or maybe find a great "classic" that I have missed along the way.

For example: One of my all time favorites of the "had to reads" was Great Expectations. Loved it. The absolute worst was "The Red Badge of Courage." Hated it with a passion. I managed to get through the first chapter and cliff-noted my way through the rest. I loved Shakespeare, Robert Frost, and I adored E.A. Poe.

We also read delicious short stories like "The Monkey's Paw." (shudder) One that I especially had a love/hate relationship with was "The Lady or the Tiger." (You can read it online, I believe.) I remember being gripped by the story, reading fast as I could to the end, to find out what happened. Then I remember literally throwing my Literature book across the room because of the ending. That was about 9th grade, I believe, and to this day, it still makes an impact on me. Anyone else have fond or horrible memories about Literature?

Did anyone else have to read Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy? I had to read it for AP English my senior year of high school and loved it!

We had to read several short stories for that class, but not the ones you mentioned. My favorite was Metamorphosis.

The only book I cliff-noted through was Huck Finn. I just couldn't get into it.

FORT Fogey
    I don't think I read Return of the Native. Huck Finn was ok, not the best read in the world. I know that a lot of books I read in HS are being protested now, Huck Finn being one of them.

Jay
    I remember reading "Turn Of The Screw" in high school which scared the bejeebers out of me.

I've never heard of "Turn of the Screw". What's it about?

Jay
    It is a story written by Henry James. I vaguely remember it about a ghost story that takes place before 1900. I don't recall anything else.

Hm. Evidently you can read "Turn of the Screw" online. http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/mo...c/JamTurn.html

I loved literature classes, and most of the books they threw my way. I willingly took 18th Century British Literature (and 19th) in college, and while I'm not sure I'd voluntarily pick up "Pamela" or "Tristram Shandy" again, I'm glad I read them.
    But I *love* the likes of Dickens and Austen. I first read "Pride and Prejudice" on my own in 8th grade. I read "Our Mutual Friend" by Dickens in college, and loved it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Thanks Lucy. I printed it out to start reading tonight.

I tried to read Pride and Prejudice, but gave up after about 40 pages. That's one of the few books I was reading for fun that I have never finished.

Erin, try watching the A&E version of "Pride and Prejudice". If imagining Colin Firth as Darcy won't get you through the book, nothing will.

Scarlett, I remember "The Lady or the Tiger" too. We spent a lot of time in class debating what her choice was.
    I never was much into Thomas Hardy. I read "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and it was just so depressing. I prefer happy endings. Which might be why I love "Jane Eyre" but never could get into "Wuthering Heights." I also didn't like "Anna Karenina."
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Erin, try watching the A&E version of "Pride and Prejudice". If imagining Colin Firth as Darcy won't get you through the book, nothing will.

Scarlett, I remember "The Lady or the Tiger" too. We spent a lot of time in class debating what her choice was.
    I never was much into Thomas Hardy. I read "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and it was just so depressing. I prefer happy endings. Which might be why I love "Jane Eyre" but never could get into "Wuthering Heights." I also didn't like "Anna Karenina."
    I think we've had this conversation before, Lucy, but it bears repeating--Colin Firth as Darcy

We spent a lot of time debating the ending of "Lady or Tiger" too. Funny how my perceptions of what she chose have changed with age.

I'm trying to remember some of our required titles. Off the top of my head:
    Great Expectations
    Huck Finn
    A Seperate Peace
    A Light in the Forest
    Lord of the Flies
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Brave New World
    Animal Farm (for World History)
    Moby Dick
    The Great Gatsby
    The Scarlett Letter