+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lit 101

I took a grad course called Disability in Literature that focused on how people with mental and physical disabilities are portrayed in lit. Fascinating! It turned me on to Mark Salzman, among others.

Sorry to double post, but I also learned how to go to Amazon.com and read the reviews of books. Does anyone else do that? You almost don't have to read the book itself if you're crunched for time.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    This happens to me all the time. It's awful!

Luckily, my spacing out / falling asleep while reading syndrome is worst when it comes to science texts. I'm mostly spared when it comes to literature, so I just make a point of reading the science in a Starbucks on weekend mornings... with a grande Java Chip Frappuccino. I can read most other books in bed.

The only real remedies I can think of are caffeine and uncomfortable chairs. Also, might I suggest close reading, if you don't already? By this I mean taking copious notes, even if they're otherwise useless.

I liked the Scarlet Letter, but would like to hear what you and other people think of it. The rest of the kids in my American Lit Honors class were convinced it was the epitome of torture! Hence why I am a closet fan.
    Thanks for the advice. I'd like to do notes, but usually on weeknights, I hardly have time to even read the stuff. I'll definitely try the caffeine approach...maybe a different room too. I was actually at Starbucks last night and got the grande java chip. It was good. Anyway, so the plot is actually pretty good so far...it's just the way it is sometimes, it gets tough to really stay with it. I'll let you know how it progresses.

I loved The Scarlet Letter, myself. That's why I hated every movie adaptation of it ever made, none of them accurately capture the richness of the book (so what I'm saying is, don't try watching of the movies to help you understand the book).

That's good advice from Salome, Mike, to close-read. If you were to look in any of my school books, you'll see they're scarred with my notes and impressions written all over the margins, and underlining and stars. My notes are mostly, well, totally inane, but the real purpose of it is to keep you engaged in the reading.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I loved The Scarlet Letter, myself. That's why I hated every movie adaptation of it ever made, none of them accurately capture the richness of the book (so what I'm saying is, don't try watching of the movies to help you understand the book).

That's good advice from Salome, Mike, to close-read. If you were to look in any of my school books, you'll see they're scarred with my notes and impressions written all over the margins, and underlining and stars. My notes are mostly, well, totally inane, but the real purpose of it is to keep you engaged in the reading.
    All of my friends make fun of me because I highlight basically every word other than "the" and "a" in anything I read other than pleasure books. It's ridiculous but it is the only way I retain information. Basically, anything I read is a sea of yellow (or green or blue). I have adapted to my quirk and am quite comfortable with it now.

It's okay, Mariner, my friends made fun of me too because I had a phalanx of multi-colored pens and highlighters--and now that I'm out of school, I'll still occasionally make notes and underline in books I really like and want to absorb. I just consider I'm making the most of the money I spent buy the books--although this is why I don't borrow from the library much, obviously.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fogey
    I loved The Scarlet Letter! I rarely highlighted, but I kept a notebook for many years, and as I read, if a particular line or quote caught my fancy, I'd jot it down.

Wait, I do remember one book I took notes in. My friends and I passed around a battered copy of The Little Prince, each of us highlighting and noting in a different color. There are some really neat thoughts in that book. One of my all time favorite quotes is from that book--something to the effect of (trying to remember without looking it up), "Words are the source of misunderstandings."

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Re: Lit 101

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;1045934;
    "Jane Eyre" remains one of my favorite classics of all time but "Morte D'Arthur", "The Three Musketeers" and "Don Quixote" are right up there.
    I love the last three you mentioned. I haven't read Jane Eyre yet, but it's on my list.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;1048696;
    I have never read Pride and Prejudice before. After reading everyone rave about it I am definitely going to read it!
    I was looking through this thread and I posted this about 3 years ago. I have since read Pride and Prejudice and it is now one of my favorite books. I am also slightly obsessed with the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2545882;
    I was looking through this thread and I posted this about 3 years ago. I have since read Pride and Prejudice and it is now one of my favorite books. I am also slightly obsessed with the movie.
    The one with Colin Firth, I presume? I see I posted about that three years ago, too. Glad you've read and enjoyed it! That's still one of my favorite books.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread