+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 96

Thread: Lit 101

  1. #51
    Sexy evil genius Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Not the regular cabana boy
    Age
    44
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by scarlett530
    I also loved "The Crucible." (I got to play Abigail in an excerpt we did for drama class ) )
    The Crucible! That reminds me of something I'd completely forgotten. I once wrote a short play for an English assignment on The Crucible, way back in 11th grade. In the play, Colonel Khadaffi (sp?) goes back in time to destroy the U.S. and winds up materializing in Salem right in front of the town elder guy who was trying all the witches (don't remember his name). Naturally, both were executed. I performed the entire play for my class as a one-man show at the front of the classroom. I was exhausted at the end, but the class was in stitches. And I'm PRETTY sure they were laughing with me.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

    Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

  2. #52
    daydream believer oneTVslave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    in the hizzy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    The Crucible! That reminds me of something I'd completely forgotten. I once wrote a short play for an English assignment on The Crucible, way back in 11th grade. In the play, Colonel Khadaffi (sp?) goes back in time to destroy the U.S. and winds up materializing in Salem right in front of the town elder guy who was trying all the witches (don't remember his name). Naturally, both were executed. I performed the entire play for my class as a one-man show at the front of the classroom. I was exhausted at the end, but the class was in stitches. And I'm PRETTY sure they were laughing with me.
    Sounds delightfully kooky, Paulie. And...you'll be giving a repeat performance at FORTcon?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

  3. #53
    RESIDENT JEDI MASTER Stargazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On a Rocky Mountain High
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,928
    That's what I was thinking, Ots! I think we need to see an encore presentation.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

    "I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

  4. #54
    Cy Young 2010 Mariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Waiting for Spring
    Posts
    16,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    When I was in high school we had to memorize the prologue to the Canterbury Tales, in Middle English, and recite it. I still remember a lot of it. We read a few of the more PG tales then, but I also took a whole semester of Chaucer in college. My professor looked like Santa Claus, and he would read some parts out loud, and it was very jarring to hear Santa reciting the Wife of Bath's Tale.
    Memorizing literature, yuck! I have a great visual of your professor reciting the Wife of Bath's Tale.

    Another book I loved that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Madame Bovary.

  5. #55
    Sexy evil genius Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Not the regular cabana boy
    Age
    44
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Sounds delightfully kooky, Paulie. And...you'll be giving a repeat performance at FORTcon?
    Uh...no.

    I don't even know where the script of that play wound up. All I really do remember (apart from the skeleton of a plot I've already shared) is the wild-eyed face I used for Khadaffi every time I had to deliver one of his lines.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

    Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

  6. #56
    daydream believer oneTVslave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    in the hizzy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    All I really do remember (apart from the skeleton of a plot I've already shared) is the wild-eyed face I used for Khadaffi every time I had to deliver one of his lines.
    Well, you'll have to re-enact that part for us, at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    When I was in high school we had to memorize the prologue to the Canterbury Tales, in Middle English, and recite it. I still remember a lot of it.
    Me too! "Whan that April with his shoores soote..." Okay, so I can't remember how to spell any of it, but I must have recited it a million times trying to get the pronunciation down. I also still remember the beginning of Romeo and Juliet ("Two households both alike in diginity, in fair Verona where we lay our scene...") which I had to memorize in ninth grade. 17 years ago. Oy vey, was it really that long ago?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

  7. #57
    Cy Young 2010 Mariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Waiting for Spring
    Posts
    16,924
    Did anyone else have to read The Bell Jar as assigned reading? It was a little much as a highschool student. In retrospect, I understand somewhat, but I didn't need to read anything that depressing then.

  8. #58
    Picture Perfect SnowflakeGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the Limelight
    Posts
    7,348

    Re: The Bell Jar

    Mariner, I wasn't assigned any Plath or Anne Sexton in school, I read those on my own, "for fun." I guess that should tell you what kind of a pre-teen I was.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

  9. #59
    Cy Young 2010 Mariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Waiting for Spring
    Posts
    16,924
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Mariner, I wasn't assigned any Plath or Anne Sexton in school, I read those on my own, "for fun." I guess that should tell you what kind of a pre-teen I was.
    Hmmm. Why does the word moody come to mind?

  10. #60
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Well, you'll have to re-enact that part for us, at least.



    Me too! "Whan that April with his shoores soote..." Okay, so I can't remember how to spell any of it, but I must have recited it a million times trying to get the pronunciation down. I also still remember the beginning of Romeo and Juliet ("Two households both alike in diginity, in fair Verona where we lay our scene...") which I had to memorize in ninth grade. 17 years ago. Oy vey, was it really that long ago?
    *ahem* "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name, or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love, and I'll no longer be a Capulet. 'Tis but thy name that is my enemy. Thou art thyself, though not a Montague. What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot, nor arm, nor face..." I can go on and on. And I memorized that in 9th grade. Also in 9th grade--
    "It was many and many a year ago
    In a kingdom by the sea
    That a maiden there lived whom you may know
    by the name of Annabell Lee....." and that was *coughseventeenyearsagocough*

    I can also recite "How Do I Love Thee" and the preamble to the Constitution. I remember all of these things, can recite them from memory, and yet lose my car keys on a regular basis.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.