+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lit 101

I totally forgot that my second favorite book of all time which I have probably read 15 times was part of our 7th grade curriculum, A Wrinkle In Time .

Mariner! My childhood copy of A Wrinkle in Time is under my -- adult -- bed right now. I loved that whole trilogy. (you read the others, right?)
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I have also read The Handmaid's Tale and one or two others by Atwood, I forgot their names. I enjoy her writing.

Loved, loved, LOVED A Wrinkle in Time and the other L'Engle books. The Chronicles of Narnia series was a big hit with me as well.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

The books I remember reading in HS were The Joy Luck Club , Heart of Darkness and The Grapes of Wrath. I loved that book.

The books I remember reading during my freshman year of college were Beloved ( but complex), Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich ( - it's still in my library) and Brave New World, which ticked me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Bartelby the Scrivener which will forever have the phrase, "I'd prefer not to" stuck in my head and Billy Budd.
    I love Herman Melville! Bartleby rocks.

Anyway, I love literature so much that I became a lit major in college, so I could give you a long list of works that I admired and enjoyed in school (and one nearly as long that were clearly works I read out of compulsion and not desire)--however, it would probably be more far more exciting for me to write it than for anyone else to read it.

So I'm going to just give the names of a few books from junior high and high school that stick out as having had a big impact on me as a young person.

Back in junior high, we had the "blow your mind" trifecta of Animal Farm, 1984, and Farenheit 451. These really made me drop my Cabbage Patch Kid and got me to start thinking critically and analytically about the world around me.

Then, a really inspiring teacher assigned Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude for us to read in tenth grade. It opened up my eyes to literature from a different culture, and introduced me to magical-realism (which is still among my favorite genres of literature).

I also was very moved by Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Ubervilles; his critique of Victorian society's classism, rigid morality and hyprocrisy still has applications to modern mores, and I recall rich use of language and symbolism.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    Heart of Darkness and The Grapes of Wrath. I loved that book.
    What? Oh no, I loved Heart of Darkness--it's what got me totally obsessed with Apocalypse Now and in college I probably wrote a couple of papers on post-colonialism with H.O.D. as their focus.

I totally agree with you on Grapes of Wrath though.
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 09-11-2004 at 06:01 PM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

"Heart of Darkness" totally did rock!

However, people complain about the charged, almost florid prose. I guess "an implacable force brooding over an inscrutable intention" (or whatever the hell it was ) isn't exactly a huge sell w/ everyone.

As for a teacher ambitious enough to assign "One Hundred Years of Solitude" to a lower-level high school class...lucky for you. Most of the English teachers I encountered during high school were reliable workhorses, but not particularly inspiring. I'm guess some might have considered it (the book certainly being famous enough), envisioned the nightmare of complaints from students over having to flip back incessantly to the family tree to keep track of all those Joses and Aurelianos and Segundos (or conflations of) -- and shuddered.

FORT Fogey
    I had forgotten about "The Rocking Horse Winner." It must have made a huge impression on me. I loved loved loved Watership Down! I've read it at least twice. I never got assigned to read it, but I picked it up on my own when I was younger. Great book

ETA: I wish I had more free time to read. This thread is inspiring me to pick up some of those classics and re-read them. I'm really curious how my perceptions of them might have changed now that I'm older.

Right now, in my 12th grade AP class, we're focusing with much intensity, might I add, on A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. I really can't stand it. I just want to be done with it...it was summer reading. I didn't mind Catch-22 and King Lear though. I wasn't much for Heart of Darkness, but The Secret Sharer was alright. I only read 2 novels for AP English language as a junior (since it wasn't really focused on literature for the AP exam)...Their Eyes Were Watching God and Of Mice and Men, which were both very good.

I have never read Pride and Prejudice before. After reading everyone rave about it I am definetly going to read it!

One-Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my favorite books ever. I read it on my own this summer. So amazing... I'm not even going to try to describe how it makes me feel.

I love reading Shakespeare and seeing it performed and have since I was a child. My favorite plays are Hamlet, Much Ado about Nothing, A Midsummer Night's Dream, King Lear, and Romeo and Juliet.

Thinking back to what I read in high school, it was all pretty awful, but I did enjoy the following, at least to some extent: The Scarlet Letter (yes! really!);The Mayor of Casterbridge; Pride and Prejudice; To Kill a Mockingbird; Winesburg, Ohio; 1984; Dr. Zhivago; Moby Dick; In Cold Blood; The Good Earth; Rebecca; Kaffir Boy; The Joy Luck Club; All Quiet on the Western Front; Wuthering Heights; and Catch 22.

+ Reply to Thread