+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Lit 101

Re: Lit 101

I've never even heard of those books, hep. Someone bought one of those Fitzwilliam Darcy books for me and I HATED it! I had the same reaction to the GWTW sequel. I feel like screaming at those authors to get their own characters! I also feel that it's disrespectful to those great authors and their legacy to try to capitalize on their talent and fame.

I'll be on the look out for the Stephanie Barron books I don't have a problem with the concept. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres.

ETA: LOVED Cold Comfort Farm! It's also a rare exception in that I can't decide whether I like the book or the movie more.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'll have to look for that one, YG. "Not classic lit" doesn't bother me one bit. I do a fair amount of reading at the gym these days and it can't be too intense, anyway.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'd never heard of "Cold Comfort Farm," but it sounds good, and I'll be checking it out.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I LOVE Cold Comfort Farm! "I saw something nasty in the wood shed." I believe the author's name is Stella Gibbons. It was made into a very enjoyable movie starring Kate Beckinsale (believe it or not, but there was a time when she actually made good movies) in the mid-90's.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2551555;
    I LOVE Cold Comfort Farm! "I saw something nasty in the wood shed." I believe the author's name is Stella Gibbons. It was made into a very enjoyable movie starring Kate Beckinsale (believe it or not, but there was a time when she actually made good movies) in the mid-90's.
    "But did it see YOU, baby?" My other favorite line is "There's no butter in HELL!" An old friend of mine met Sir Ian McKellan a few years after the movie came out and he said the line to McKellan (who played that role in the film) and got a blank stare in return. It really is a fantastic movie, also starring the fabulous Rufus Sewell

The book is equally good I definitely recommend it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So, for the final paper for English this year (culminates 4 years' worth of high school English!), where we analyze lit of our choosing, I'm doing Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I read it a couple of years ago (didn't understand anything beyond the sequence of events, naturally), and am currently rereading it. I hate to say it, but I think I understand it a little better now that I'm older. I'm really enjoying it so far, and I'm looking forward to the paper (!).
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread