+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Stories

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Haejin, I'm an adult and I loved the Lemony Snicket series. There's no shame in that!

Is there?
    Of course not. They were great books.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    One of all-time fave writers is Japanese master Harukami Murakami. He mostly write novels, but I always lend out my well-loved and worn-out copy of his short story collection The Elephant Vanishes as an introduction to his breadth of genius.

Let me know if you read any of these, and if you do, I hope you enjoy!
    Yes! Norwegian Wood, right? And IMO, not only is Murakami a genius, but the guy who translated all of his works (forgot his name? ) is one too. So much Japanese literature have been butchered through tone-deaf translations, so I was pleasantly surprised by how well Murakami's translator captured the beauty of his prose.

Yes, Nausi, Murakami has two great translators: Alfred Birnbaum and Jay Rubin (the latter of whom wrote an great biography of Murakami, as well).

I'm so happy to hear you mention Norwegian Wood. *fuzzy flashback effects* I love that book, it was the first of his I ever read, many moons ago when I was still in high school, the little Kodansha paperback edition my friend brought back from Japan. *sigh*

Anyway, for Lotus, I just remembered two more short story collections I would highly recommend: Amy Hempel's Reasons to Live and Aimee Bender's The Girl in the Flammable Skirt. Both are very good. Hempel's sort of a linguistic minimalist, Bender's very original stories often verge on the absurd, some are like modern fables...if Bukowski wrote them...on shrooms.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fan
    Shopgirl by Steve Martin

Well, I know Hemingway was already shot down lol...so I won't mention the greatest short story writer of all times then...(oh oops, I already did... )

Anyhow...I love short stories. In addition to Hemingway I really enjoy Edgar Allen Poe's short stories...

Another short story that comes to mind, is Alice Walker's "Everyday Use". This was a GREAT great short story, good debth & great writing... love it. Other short story writers I enjoy are Nathaniel Hawthorne, Henry James, Stephen Crane & JAck London... I guess I'm a fan of American classics mostly
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

One of my all time favorites is Kate Chopin's "The Awakening". I also enjoyed Jhumpa Lahiri's "Interpreter of Maladies" especially the first short story in the book.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Yeah, I just thought of another great short story. Adam Thorpe's "Return", found at the beginning of his short story collection/novel Ulverton.

Also, Kafka's "The Metamorphosis" is just so damn good. How could I forget? And Camus' Exile and the Kingdom.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    With all the wonderful recommendations, now I'm eager to hunt down at least some short stories too.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Thanks for the info everyone, I will look for some of these.

Fade to black
    Aimee Bender has a great collection of short stories in the book "The Girl in the Flammable Skirt" - if you like that, I also recommend you checking out her debut novel. "The Awakening" by Chopin as recommended by Greenie is one of my all time faves. Another great collection is "The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things" by J.T. Leroy - and again, if you like that you must check out Sarah, his novel, which is outstanding.

Other short stories I particularly enjoy is Raymond Carver's "Fat", Flannery O'Connor's "The Artificial Nigger", Edgar Allen Poe's "The Black Cat", Dostoevsky's "Notes from the Underground", Joseph Conrad's "The Heart of Darkness", Charlotte Perkins Gilman "The Yellow Wallpaper", and last but certainly not least "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell.

Yea, I've read a lot of short stories.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast