+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you compelled to finish a book?

If I can't get into a book after 3 or 4 chapters, I give up. There are too many books that I know I will enjoy to waste my time on something boring.

I usually give a book several chapters, but if it doesn't hook me by then, I give it up. If I'm mildly interested, but not enough to finish it, I flip to the end and read that.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

If a book doesn't grab me right off, I usually don't care enough to read the ending

Quote Originally Posted by Catt
    If I can't get into a book after 3 or 4 chapters, I give up. There are too many books that I know I will enjoy to waste my time on something boring.
    I'm the same way Catt. If it doesn't get me within the first 100 pages, I'm done. Life's too short to read boring books. If I get past the halfway point though, I have to finish, even if I skim a bit to get through it. There are a few that I've made several attempts at and I could never get through them: Cold Mountain (I don't know one person who finished it) and Vanity Fair (tried three times before I realized I didn't care about her!).

Just recently, I put a book down after about 3 pages because it was SO poorly written that I couldn't continue - I wanted to write a letter to the publisher and complain! But, there are some books that are just SO bad that I have to finish them just to see how the author is going to end it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Am I compelled? Not really. Unless I really liked the plot and am eager to know the whole story then I'll read from cover to cover.

If it bores me, like Lucy, I'll flip to the end and read the last chapters to know the ending and figure out the middle with my own imagination.

You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I usually read two chapters. If it's really good, I read the ending to find out what happens. If it's bad/boring, then I read the end to see if it gets any better. If the ending is predictable or boring then I usually don't finish -- unless I promised someone that I would read it.

In college I finished every book that I started. I was a literature/religion double major so that meant lots and lots of books, as well as huge anthologies.

Now I don't get to read much for my own enjoyment anymore. I have one biography that a teacher told me I must read, which I really love actually, but it is so big that it has taken me 5 years and I am still not finished. The book is very well written but I have to read teaching books that the prinicipal requires and teaching strategy books. I have never not finished a book so I am determined to make it through this one.

As for boring books easily the most depressing book that I had to read was The Netherworld by George Gissing --- that almost made me rethink my four years of study it was that sad.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I guess the answer is no for me . A month or so later , I still can't get through the Dark Tower finale. I pick it up, read a few pages, then even a tv guide will distract me. I'm not sure if it's the book itself , the fact it is the finale after all these years, or just King. It took me a long time to get through "It".

I have read a bunch of other books while trying to work my way through this one.

p.s. I love "biblio-monogamist" Snowy . Great term.

FORT Fanatic
    I feel compelled to finish what I start. Not just books But there have been a few that I've just had to put down. I usually go with the 100 page "rule", or more recently the one week "rule". Since I can always find time to finish a good book quickly if it's taking me a week to get into a book it's not worth my time. On top of that most of the books I read are from the library so I only have a 3 week period to read however many I checked out (usually 3-4). And I can only read one at a time.

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    I usually try to finish anything I start reading....the book I'm currently reading, did start off slow.....but became more interesting further in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast