+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you compelled to finish a book?

I loved the concepts of Gerald's Game and Pet Sematary, but the execution was...ugh. Not to mention that the movie Pet Sematary has to be one of the worst I've ever seen Well, I guess when you churn out as much product as King does, there's bound to be some real stinkers. Threadjack ended.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Pet Semetary is another one I never finished, and I think that was the last Stephen King book I ever bought.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Well... I'm not compelled to finish a book, but I'm compelled to read the last chapter or so Actually, if a book is really boring, I always see how it ends, so that I can make a descision on whether it's worth the boring part or if I should burn it and/or tear it up (I only burn/tear school books, though )

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I almost always finish a book once I start it. I keep hoping it will get better, and sometimes it doesn't. I couldn't finish Lost, by Gregory Maguire, and I loved Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister, but Lost was just Lost, gave up mid-way.
    I'm trying to get through "Lost" right now. I adored his other books and I can't figure out what happened to this one. I'll finish it, but it will take a while.

In my entire life (and I started reading with the Dick and Jane series to give you an idea as to how old I am) I have only NOT finished one book. That book was

The Professor and the Madman,

about the making of the Oxford English dictionary. The odd thing is I love non-fiction books but this one just had no action or denouement or anything. Imagine. How can a book about a dictionary be boring?

I used to be - but my to be read pile is so massive I've gotten to the point where if the book bores me enough that I don't feel like finishing - I move it to the donate to the library pile and move on.

Nope. If I get bored, I'll stop reading it. Another thing that happens is I'll be reading a book that's just okay and I'll get another one and start reading that instead. Someties I'll go back and finish, sometimes not. Depends if I have somethign better to read.

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    I have several books on my shelves right now that are "in progress" as far as reading them goes. I'm a former librarian, so reading has been in my blood as long as I can remember, but my reading speed is only average. This means that I tend to be interested in many more books than I could ever have time or energy to read. I am actually about to finish rereading Treasure Island, and I have enjoyed "being at sea" this week on a pirate adventure.

What I love to find is that occasional book that grabs me in a way that makes it almost effortless to read and holds my interest throughout the story. Combine that with enough free time to devote to the reading of that book, and you have a wonderful personal memory that will last a lifetime!
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

There have been many times when I've gone through the "MUST....FINISH....BOOK" syndrome. I can't think of any that I haven't finished once I started. Now, a lot of times I can't, for the life of me remember what the book was about, but I will have finished it.

As for the question regarding reading more than one book at a time, only if I can't find the first book!!

Fort Member
    I have to finish a book. If its really bad then I start skipping pages or paragraphs of descriptive stuff just to get to the end. I cant start a new book until I have finshed. I will agree with others I found Pet Semetary hard going but the book I found most difficult to get through was Gorky Park. I really hated it and couldnt believe they made it into a movie. People liked the movie but I couldnt bare to go see it because I hated the book so much.I had to do to kill a mockingbird at school as well but I actually loved it but struggled really badly with for whom the bell tolls I found it so boring it took me weeks to read.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast