+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you compelled to finish a book?

I used to be a one-book-at-a-timer. Those were the days before kids. Now, I read whatever I can and whenever I can in addition to the kids books. I also read in binges. There are times that I read several books in a month for several months and then I burn out and just read periodicals for a few months. I am always a better writer during my reading binges. I love paperbacks because I can always keep one in my pocket or purse. In the winter there is always a book in the pocket of my robe. I only get hardbacks if I can not wait for the paperback or if I know Sher would want a copy, since she likes the hardbacks. I do not always finish books, but the ones that I do not finish glare at me from the book case until I read them or sell them.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

FORT Fogey
    I also read 2 or 3 books at a time. But anyway, the only book I could not finish was To Kill a Mockingbird. We were supposed to read it for school in 8th grade, but I HATED it. It was the worst book I have ever read. Maybe it was because I was forced to read it for school, but I just could not get into the plot or the characters. I didn't do so well on the test, but I still got an A in the class.

Another book I had a hard time finishing was Great Expectations in 9th grade. It was okay near the end, but I was ready to quit by the eighth chapter. I had to force myself to read it because it was the biggest part of our final. I actually took notes on every chapter just because I needed something to do while reading.

I guess I just don't like the classics.

I almost always finish a book once I start it. I keep hoping it will get better, and sometimes it doesn't. I couldn't finish Lost, by Gregory Maguire, and I loved Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister, but Lost was just Lost, gave up mid-way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I almost always finish a book once I start it. I keep hoping it will get better, and sometimes it doesn't. I couldn't finish Lost, by Gregory Maguire, and I loved Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister, but Lost was just Lost, gave up mid-way.
    Is Lost a new one? I loved Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister... Whoops, enough Hijacking.

I have never not finished a book I've bought. there have been a few times I haven't finished a library book - maybe it's a value thing, as in You bought that book and by gosh you're going to read it!

I usually read one book at a time, but if I'm plowing through some heavy reading I may pick up a light read for a change.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Is Lost a new one? I loved Wicked and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister... Whoops, enough Hijacking.

I have never not finished a book I've bought. there have been a few times I haven't finished a library book - maybe it's a value thing, as in You bought that book and by gosh you're going to read it!

I usually read one book at a time, but if I'm plowing through some heavy reading I may pick up a light read for a change.
    Lost is a few years old, but I couldn't finish it. Loosley based on Jack the Ripper.

Jay
    I am currently reading Stephen King's Pet Sematary and it is boring me to tears. I am about 1/3 of the way through and I will finish it. I just hope that it gets interesting and the sooner, the better.

I don't remember not finishing a book I started.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Lost is a few years old, but I couldn't finish it. Loosley based on Jack the Ripper.
    :phhht I could live the rest of my life without reading another book on Jack the Ripper. That's disappointing. I was hoping for something new and fresh. Macguire is an excellent writer. His use of sarcasm is sublime, but Jack? Un uh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    I am currently reading Stephen King's Pet Sematary and it is boring me to tears. I am about 1/3 of the way through and I will finish it. I just hope that it gets interesting and the sooner, the better.

I don't remember not finishing a book I started.
    It doesn't. Probably my least favorite King book, right up there with Gerald's Game.

Once I start reading a book, I have to finish it. Even if it sucks, I have the hope that maybe the ending will be worth it. If it's that bad of a book, then I'll just set it aside while I start reading another and continue reading the crappy book later. I can't help it, but sometimes I wish I could.
    Ludicrous speed!

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    It doesn't. Probably my least favorite King book, right up there with Gerald's Game.
    Nooooo! Oh well, I'll tough it out. Thanks for the heads up Dinahann!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast