+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any chick lit type fans out there?

giz
    I've got a men's chic lit one. Mike Gayle's My Legendary Girlfriend. This was his first, and reviews on Amazon U.K. are very divided. The main character (male) is very whingy, and a total slob (which irritated me),but he's a really good writer of easy-reading fiction, and it's a very accurate description of London bed-sit life. Gayle has been called a male Helen Fielding, but (at least in this book) he is darker than that. I'm enjoying it though, this one's set in Archway (where I used to stay all the time at my Auntie's), so I'm kind of enjoying it for the nostalgia, and being able to picture everything in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    ...and it's a very accurate description of London bed-sit life.
    Giz, what is "bed-sit life"? I'm not familiar with that expression.

I actually picked up J.'s copy of The Wives of Bath one night last week when I was starved for something to read. Having been a student in Bath years ago, I, too, enjoyed being able to recognize all the names of places, even if this is not my (ahem) regular genre.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Giz, what is "bed-sit life"? I'm not familiar with that expression.

I actually picked up J.'s copy of The Wives of Bath one night last week when I was starved for something to read. Having been a student in Bath years ago, I, too, enjoyed being able to recognize all the names of places, even if this is not my (ahem) regular genre.
    Well, that's very cool. I worked in Bath for a couple of years, left 10 years ago. Beautiful place, just gorgeous. Someone (famous) said "Bath is a serving of honey set in a green bowl" (referring of course to the honey coloured stone, and the green-green land all around).

Bed-sit is English for what Canadians (and Americans?) call bachelor apartments. Bed-sit being bed-sitting room, sitting room being English for living room (or front room). Actually most English people I know say Lounge, but it might be a class thing. To which Wives of Bath do you refer? I knew you didn't mean Chaucer, but do you mean Wendy Holden's? I looked on Amazon and saw a chic-lit book by her, and what I assume is a (deep voice) "serious work of fiction" by Susan Swann. Though the Holden looks a little twee even for me (all that upper class stuff rubs me the wrong way a bit), I might read it, just for the Bath references.

FORT Regular
    I highly recommend the book "Hit Reply" by Rocki St. Claire. It's written entirely in e-mail and instant message form, but surprisingly it works well and it flows. I read it in a day. It's for anyone who has seriously considered Googling an old flame, a first love, the "one that got away"....... You will not be disappointed.

giz
    Hmm, a little further into My Legendary Girlfriend, and while I still think he's a great writer, the story-line is getting a tad creepy. The main character is SO hung-up on his ex-girlfriend, it's a little icky. So that's my caveat. I think Gayle took it over the line unfortunetely.

"Hit Reply" sounds great. I thought I'd do a novel like that and was somewhat annoyed to see Marian Keyes had gotten around to it first (and universes better than I could ever do). Keyes book (forgotten which of hers it was) was only partly email though. Is Hit Reply British? I've got a bit of a hang-up about only reading Brit-lit (cause I'm so homesick I guess). (Actually not from there, life-long Anglophile, lived there in the 80's for a couple of years, and same thing early 90's. Place just resonates with me big-time. More alive there. Hair shinier, skin more radiant, chocolate bars infinetely more creamy). Sigh.

I'm reading "The Boy Next Door" right now by Meg Cabbot

I'm in Houston right now visiting my sister, and I have a 3 hr flight back tomorrow... so this book has been a fun read on the airplane It's written in all email form, and when I first got it, I was like "well... I dunno, this might be boring" but surprisingly, I love this book! Not as much as I like Sophia Kinsella's shopaholic books, but pretty close! Something to hold me over until the next Sophia Kinsella book

I don't read a lot of chick lit, not because I feel I'm above it, but because they are usually such quick reads and I am broke! I always eye the Sophia Kinsella books when I'm at the drugstore, but I just can't afford to pay $8 for a book I'll read in an afternoon

I did pick up a few at a library book sale for $2 a piece and finished them both in a day. I'd recommend both of them (if you find them cheap or have the money to spend on them new):
    What a Girl Wants by Liz Maverick - think Brigdet Jones in San Francisco
    Spitting Feathers by Kelly Harte - think Bridget Jones in London

Neither of them were groundbreaking but both were fun and predictable (like all books in this genre!)
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I've got a men's chic lit one. Mike Gayle's My Legendary Girlfriend. This was his first, and reviews on Amazon U.K. are very divided. The main character (male) is very whingy, and a total slob (which irritated me),but he's a really good writer of easy-reading fiction, and it's a very accurate description of London bed-sit life. Gayle has been called a male Helen Fielding, but (at least in this book) he is darker than that. I'm enjoying it though, this one's set in Archway (where I used to stay all the time at my Auntie's), so I'm kind of enjoying it for the nostalgia, and being able to picture everything in my head.
    giz, I've read all of Gayle's stuff (aside from the brand new one; while I'll admit to being addicted to his novels, I just can't bring myself to go hardcover) and My Legendary Girlfriend is probably my least favourite. It's not bad by any means; he's just written better books. And yeah, the obsessing over the ex does get a tad creepy after a couple of hundred pages. My favourite is probably Dinner For Two, but Turning Thirty, Mr Commitment and His'n'Hers are all light, fun reads packed with references to British pop culture (which I love).
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

giz
    oh, G the G, thanks so much. I didn't want to give up on him, he's a great writer, I am green with envy at his ability, but was getting creeped by Will's obsession.

And Critical, I have one word to say and that word is "library". I only buy chic-lit at garage sales, library discard sales, and (made an exception here, as I love it so much) retail, for Rafaella Barker only.

giz
    Critical, hope I didn't sound fascetious. I didn't mean it that way. You may be too busy to browse for chick-lit at the library (when you have free brain-time from textbooks). Our library lets us put holds on books from home, so if I'm short of time I only have to go in to pick up stuff.

+ Reply to Thread