+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any chick lit type fans out there?

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    I've read Johanna's book "The Next Big Thing"... super-enjoyable and right up our alley here at "Fans of Reality TV" with it's The Biggest Loser style show (but better ) and it's references to famewhores, Survivor, etc.

Go get it, hurry up!!!!!

Johanna, I found something the proofreaders missed.There's always one or usually more in every book. It's my talent to find them, I don't look for them, but they literally leap off the page at me. Wanna know what it was?
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27
    I've read Johanna's book "The Next Big Thing"... super-enjoyable and right up our alley here at "Fans of Reality TV" with it's The Biggest Loser style show (but better ) and it's references to famewhores, Survivor, etc.

Go get it, hurry up!!!!!

Johanna, I found something the proofreaders missed.There's always one or usually more in every book. It's my talent to find them, I don't look for them, but they literally leap off the page at me. Wanna know what it was?
    I just finished reading Johanna's book last week. I've been meaning to email her about it. It's incredible!! I love it! For a lot of the book, especially before Kat, the main character, goes on the reality show, I felt like I was reading a transcript of my own thoughts! it was a great book, I highly recommend it. It is so funny, I found myself laughing out loud sometimes. THe book is not just for girls with weight issues either, I appreciate it for the skinny girls who read it, to see what it really feels like to live life with the one acceptable form of discrimination. and what it feels like to go in a store and only have about 2 racks of clothes that are not either too small for you, or look like something your grandmother owns. All with laughter and love.
    Johanna, we want more Kat!
    What does it take to wake up a generation...
    If we don't wake up and shake up the nation
    We'll eat the dust of the world wondering why...
    Cages or wings? Which do you prefer?
    Ask the birds...
    ~Jonathon Larson

*resurrecting thread from graveyard*

Since I love myself a bit of chick lit in the summer time (as well as winter, spring and fall ), I thought I'd ask if anyone's read anything good during the summer. I am currently falling in love with Jennifer Weiner all over again: with her wonderful blog http://jenniferweiner.blogspot.com/ as well as Little Earthquakes, her most moving and funny piece since Good In Bed. However, I find some of the characters more relatable and readable than others: Becky and Lia's stories are the ones I look forward to reading the most, so I find myself skimming through Ayinde's and especially Kelly's chapters just so that I can read about my fave characters again.

Weiner's latest effort, Good Night, Nobody, will be released in September. I read the first chapter on her website and it looks like another winner. It's slightly different from her earlier works - it's a murder mystery! - but don't let that stop you from picking it up; it appears to have all the trademark wit and laugh-out-loud scenes. I love how I'll be able to pick up another Jennifer Weiner novel right after I've finished the one I'm currently reading. One of the benefits of waiting patiently for the paperback release.

I also bought Lisa Jewell's latest novel, Vince and Joy and will get started on that as soon as I finish Little Earthquakes.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

giz
    I only read British Chick lit (armchair travel combined with nostalgia as I used to live there). I like Marian Keyes (alright she's Irish, not British, but some of the flavour is the same, and some of her stuff is set in London), and I see lots of you do too. Rafaella Barker is wonderful, gush gush. I want to write like that (and own stonking big house in Norfolk). Claire Calman and Lisa Jewell are also fab if you like the British stuff. (Just saw a great tv film on BBC, Man and Boy, well worth viewing, from a book by Tony Parsons). I try to either read a heavier book in between, or at least claim I have. I read so much non-fiction, I kind of want my fiction to be fun. Maybe when I'm retired and am not waiting hand and foot on this tribe I've got ...
    Last edited by giz; 08-12-2005 at 03:43 PM.

I love love love Sophie Kinsella!

I always buy her book on a Friday, and I'm done with it by Sunday. They're just so fun to read and she's a very funny author who can totally pinpoint a woman and how she feels. I just finished her latest book The Undomestic Goddess. Very funny... and definitely different than Becky Bloomwood in the Shopaholic Series. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves Sophie Kinsella!

Quote Originally Posted by CallieCutie
    I love love love Sophie Kinsella!

I always buy her book on a Friday, and I'm done with it by Sunday. They're just so fun to read and she's a very funny author who can totally pinpoint a woman and how she feels. I just finished her latest book The Undomestic Goddess. Very funny... and definitely different than Becky Bloomwood in the Shopaholic Series. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves Sophie Kinsella!
    I just started this one... seems good so far!

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    I try to either read a heavier book in between, or at least claim I have.
    I'm the same way! Whenever I've been on an all-chick-lit-diet I try to read some heavier stuff, just to make up for it. Silly, I know, but I do love my literary diet a bit varied. Right now I'd love to stay in chick lit land forever though, or at least 'til I have to pick up Ulysses AND Proust for uni.

Lisa Jewell - love, love her! I started Vince and Joy yesterday and didn't put it down until the end. Great stuff.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

giz
    I'm so glad to hear of someone else who's read Jewell. Isn't she something. Sigh. I know I can't be Proust, but I can dream about writing like Jewell. She's like Fred Astaire, it seems so easy, but you know there's got to be alot of work involved. I keep trying to read Proust, but getting interrupted by kids doesn't really work with Proust. I think I'll save him for a quiet moment in my life. I've been chastened into reading (more)Virginia Wolff (Mrs. Dalloway this time), and I've got to say it's a revelation. This one's good! I'm still waiting for the new Claire Calman to come into the library, and for Rafaella Barker to write a new one. I've been thinking of reading Howard Jacobson's fiction (laddish rather than chick lit) as I like his non-fiction so much. G the G, you were in Europe weren't you? Are you still there? (I think Ulysses could be incredible, it's on my shelf,but haven't read it. I think I'd read it thinking of the accent in my head).

Didn't Lisa Jewell write "Ralph's Party"? I loved that book, and if it's her, I like her and am glad to hear she's got a new one.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Chick-lit is great summer reading. Love Keyes....I just finished "Miss Bubbles Steals the Show" by Melanie Murray. I picked it up because I just adored the cute cover. The best book I have read all summer. This has been my first Red Dress Ink book - anyone read this or other RD novels? Are they all this good?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread