+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any chick lit type fans out there?

Confessions from a pretentious English lit major

Boy, am I glad to have found this thread. Chick lit it totally my guilty pleasure. Nothing like some good chick lit, a glass - or, in true chicklit tradition, a bottle - of white wine and a bubble bath to make you feel good. Being a bit of a snob though - but hey, at least I'm admitting it - I'm not entirely out of the closet with my chick lit addiction, so I haven't read as many books as I'd like to. Can anyone help me out with what to read next? So far I've read and enjoyed Jennifer Weiner (Good in Bed was brilliant; In Her Shoes not so much), Marian Keyes, Jane Green, Isobel Wolf, Lisa Jewell and.. that's about it really.

So, feel free to give me suggestions.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Geek girl , try the Sophie Kinsella, she writes the Shopaholic series, and The Devil wears Prada, was a pretty good book.

I read this other book called "Right Address" it was fun!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

I have to chime in on the chick lit discussion. Chick lit is also my guilty pleasure. Its such a nice escape, and the characters are always so fun, and they aren't afraid to have a heavier character that can still love life.

The last chick lit book I read was Let's meet on platform 8 by Carole Matthews. Its a good book about a girl who can't find the right guy, and when she does, he's married.
    Carole Matthews is a british writer, she also wrote "For better, for worse", which I also enjoyed.

One of my favorite chick lit authors hasn't really been mentioned yet: Sarah Mlynowski.
    She wrote Milkrun, Fishbowl, and As Seen on TV. As Seen on TV is actually about a girl who ends up on a reality show about partying. What better book for someone who loves reality tv and chick lit, which is probably the case for most of us, considering the site.

Thats just my 2 cents, I would be interested in a book discussion as well. lbeaumont@comcast.net

Ah yes, Sarah Mlynowski is another chick lit fave. I wanted to include her on my list but I had no idea how to spell her name

Has anyone read the new Jane Green novel? I can't make up my mind about her books; I liked Jemima J and Bookends and she does create interesting characters, but her writing is pretty flat in my opinion. Actually, my favourite chick lit writer would probably be Jennifer Weiner, who is eloquent and funny and has amazing characters. Can't wait to read her new book, Little Earthquakes. I also like Marian Keyes, for pretty much the same reasons.

Just borrowed (ahem, stole) a Jenny Colgan book off my sister's bookshelf. It's called Working Wonders - has anyone read it or anything else by Colgan?

I listened to the new Jane Green novel on CD and it was pretty good.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy! I'm so happy I saw this thread. Okay girls, I'm ready. Any authors or books you want to throw at me I'll probably be able to field.

Sarah Mlynowski -- I loved MILKRUN and As Seen on TV... When MonkeyBusiness came out I was so excited that I bought it right away but have read two books since. I've finished those and am ready now to crack open the first page and read.

Jane Green, I remember waiting a looooooong time between Jemima J and Mr. Maybe (paperback) I love her. absolutely.

Jennifer Crusie, Had a hard time getting through Bet Me, though I've loved all her Harlequin/Silhouettes...

Sophie Kinsella. Shopaholics, I loved all of these!

Jenny Colgan: Amanda's Wedding and Talking to Addison were both very good.... I'm on the lookout for more

Jennifer Weiner.. Loved Good In Bed and In Her Shoes.

Lisa Jewell... Thirty Nothing, Ralph's Party... good stuff.

There were two books this summer, both of which I read called Always a Bridesmaid... One had a yellow and blue cover and the other was the one mentioned above. Both were really good.

Okay, some other recommendtions:

Clare Naylor: Dog Handling, etc. I love her stories and can't wait for more.
    Anna Maxted: Behaving Like Adults, Running in Heels. Highly Recommended
    Meg Cabot: Boy Next Door, etc. Run, don't walk, to get this one.
    Valerie Block: Was It Something I Said? I loved this book, but didn't get one of the follow ups, the synopsis just didn't interest me.... hmmm...
    Wendi Markham: just finished Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Laugh Out Loud.
    Karen Templeton: also just finished Hanging by a Thread. Really good story. Thick book that will last ya a while...

For some reason, though I love Sex in the City, I couldn't get into 4Blondes or Trading Up, I don't get what my issue is!

Okay.... I'll stop talking now....
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27
    I totally forgot about this book. Its a definate read. Its probably one of my favorite chick lit books around. And you can get it in mass market if you'd like, its cheaper that way.

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27
    Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy! I'm so happy I saw this thread. Okay girls, I'm ready. Any authors or books you want to throw at me I'll probably be able to field.

Sarah Mlynowski -- I loved MILKRUN and As Seen on TV... When MonkeyBusiness came out I was so excited that I bought it right away but have read two books since. I've finished those and am ready now to crack open the first page and read.

Jane Green, I remember waiting a looooooong time between Jemima J and Mr. Maybe (paperback) I love her. absolutely.

Jennifer Crusie, Had a hard time getting through Bet Me, though I've loved all her Harlequin/Silhouettes...

Sophie Kinsella. Shopaholics, I loved all of these!

Jenny Colgan: Amanda's Wedding and Talking to Addison were both very good.... I'm on the lookout for more

Jennifer Weiner.. Loved Good In Bed and In Her Shoes.

Lisa Jewell... Thirty Nothing, Ralph's Party... good stuff.

There were two books this summer, both of which I read called Always a Bridesmaid... One had a yellow and blue cover and the other was the one mentioned above. Both were really good.

Okay, some other recommendtions:

Anna Maxted: Behaving Like Adults, Running in Heels. Highly Recommended
    Meg Cabot: Boy Next Door, etc. Run, don't walk, to get this one.
    Valerie Block: Was It Something I Said? I loved this book, but didn't get one of the follow ups, the synopsis just didn't interest me.... hmmm...
    Wendi Markham: just finished Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. Laugh Out Loud.
    Karen Templeton: also just finished Hanging by a Thread. Really good story. Thick book that will last ya a while...

For some reason, though I love Sex in the City, I couldn't get into 4Blondes or Trading Up, I don't get what my issue is!

Okay.... I'll stop talking now....
    Wow, that's thorough! Thanks very much.

Oh, and on a semi-related note: any fans of British lad lit? I love Mike Gayle, and I recently read Goodnight Steve McQueen by former Sleeper-singer Louise Wener. It was really good; I love the mix between constant namedropping of indie music and an entertaining, light love story.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I just started reading "Good In Bed". So far, it's really funny. Very Bridget Jones like.

FORT Fogey
    Just started the new Shopaholic book- Shopaholic and Sister. I don't think it's going to be as good as the others, but it's not terrible so far. A little weird and her best friend Suze seems out of character, but I haven't read the original Shopaholics in a while, so who knows.

+ Reply to Thread