+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any chick lit type fans out there?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I started with lipstick jungle and couldn't get past the first few pages. We didn't have HBO when Sex and the City was on, so I never saw the series to get into that either. But what turned me off of her was the Reality show last winter called: Wickedly Perfect and she was a judge and she was a pompous ass!
    Which I'm sure a lot of authors are, but ususally I don't get to see them in action, so I don't know it.
    Yeah, if you ever want to give her another try, start at "Sex and the City" and stop at "Four Blondes." I never even heard of WICKEDLY PERFECT! One of my friends met the author of Mr. Winkie (is that right?) and said he was very nice (the author, I mean). I never realized that was a real dog! He looks like a freaking stuffed animal!!!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Yeah, if you ever want to give her another try, start at "Sex and the City" and stop at "Four Blondes." I never even heard of WICKEDLY PERFECT! One of my friends met the author of Mr. Winkie (is that right?) and said he was very nice (the author, I mean). I never realized that was a real dog! He looks like a freaking stuffed animal!!!
    Wickedly Perfect was a reality show last winter that had a good premise, but was a bomb. It was a group of people tying to win the rights to a book deal and tv show for decorating and throwing parties. Like finding a new Martha Stewart.

David Evangelista, Bobby Flay and Candace Busnell were the judges. Could have been a good show, but seriously flawed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

giz
    For all you chick-lit fans, I just saw Marian Keyes speak at a book-reading and she's hilarious. Talks a mile a minute (I do that too when I'm sort of "on" and telling a story, it's sort of nerves, sort of performance art, so I can relate). I don't think her book jacket photo does her credit. She is very pretty, very Irish looking. We got to ask questions (I asked if she edits much and she said she does that she thought she would get to waft about in caftans and the muse would do all the work, but no, she has to edit and edit and edit). She was very sweet, and funny and self-deprecating (which I think she has perfected as a deflecting tool). It was great fun, and if she comes your way, I'd highly recommend you go and see her.

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    For all you chick-lit fans, I just saw Marian Keyes speak at a book-reading and she's hilarious. Talks a mile a minute (I do that too when I'm sort of "on" and telling a story, it's sort of nerves, sort of performance art, so I can relate). I don't think her book jacket photo does her credit. She is very pretty, very Irish looking. We got to ask questions (I asked if she edits much and she said she does that she thought she would get to waft about in caftans and the muse would do all the work, but no, she has to edit and edit and edit). She was very sweet, and funny and self-deprecating (which I think she has perfected as a deflecting tool). It was great fun, and if she comes your way, I'd highly recommend you go and see her.
    Cool! I'm a big fan of Marian Keyes - to me, she's one of the best chick lit authors out there at the moment. Funny, clever, and compulsively readable. She's always come across as a real sweetheart in interviews, and I'm glad to hear that my impression seems to have been correct. Have you read her latest effort, Is There Anybody Out There, yet? I'm dying to read it but I want to wait for the paperback. Reading Marian Keyes in hardback just feels wrong. Her novels are best enjoyed in bathtubs or on sunny beaches - quintessential paperback places, in other words.

I'm off to visit my sister in England the day after tomorrow and will make sure to check out what's new in British chick lit. I'll be back with a consumer's report.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

geek the girl... any report on the hottest British chick lit?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    geek the girl... any report on the hottest British chick lit?
    Oops, I forgot all about posting. Sorry about that. But yes, I did pick up a new British chick lit novel that I enjoyed immensely - Be Careful What You Wish For by Alexandra Potter. Witty, laugh-out-loud funny and heartwarming stuff with a likeable heroine and just a hint of magic that some readers will probably find corny. Me? I'm a sucker for anything magical, so I didn't mind at all. I'm not sure if it's available in the U.S. yet, but apparently she's written several novels prior to this one, including Calling Romeo and Do You Come Here Often?. Recently, I've more or less lost interest in the chick lit genre since everything I've read has been so mediocre and dull, but Be Careful What You Wish For made me want to - albeit temporarily - abandon all the morbid stuff I've been binging on recently and stock up on light beach reads.

Here's the blurb from Amazon.co.uk:

"'I wish I could get a seat on the tube...I hadn't eaten that entire bag of Maltesers...I could meet a man whose hobbies include washing up and monogamy...' Heather Hamilton is always wishing for things. Not just big stuff - like world peace or for a date with Brad Pitt - but little, everyday wishes, made without thinking. With her luck, she knows they'll never come true...Until one day she buys some heather from a gypsy. Suddenly the bad hair days stop; a handsome American answers her ad for a housemate; and she starts seeing James - The Perfect Man who sends her flowers, excels in the bedroom, and isn't afraid to say 'I love you'...But are these wishes-come-true a blessing or a curse? And is there such a thing as too much foreplay?"

I also recently read the latest effort from Mike Gayle, Brand New Friend. Technically, it's lad lit rather than chick lit, but since the genres tend to be intertwined - and since I know that Mike Gayle has a few fans on this board - I thought I'd mention it anyway. He can't go wrong in my book, what with the clever popcultural references, funny, perceptive dialogue and relatable characters. Another winner.

Has anyone read the new Marian Keyes yet? I'm dying to, but as much as I like her novels, I just can't bring myself to buy it in hardcover. She's the quintessential paperback writer, isn't she? Funny how I'll buy a hardcover novel of, say, Anne Tyler or Joyce Carol Oates in a heartbeat while the idea of buying a chick lit novel in hardcover just seems... wrong. It's not a moral stance on my part (at least I hope it's not); actually, I think it's about where you read certain types of novels. Like I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I love reading chick lit-y types of novels in the bathtub or on the beach - not very hardcover friendly. So why can't Anyone Out There? (that's the title of Marian Keyes' latest novel) come out in paperback already?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

For the shopaholic lovers... Sophie Kinsella already has her new book Shopaholic and Baby listed on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038...192120?ie=UTF8

It'll be ready for release on Feb. 27, 2007. I'm not that devoted of a fan to buy her book 6 months in advance... but I will say I'm looking VERY forward to it

Re: Any chick lit type fans out there?

I bringing this thread back to say thank you for all the suggestions. I read some Kristin Billerbeck books and fell in love with Chick Lit. I remembered this thread and looked up the authors you recommended.

My new favorites are Sophie Kinsella, Helen Fielding, Marian Keyes, & Sarah Mylynowski. I'm reading a book by Daniella Brodsky taht I'm also enjoying very much. I'm not sure if Hester Browne fits in this category, but her novels are very funny and fantastic reads.

I just finished What Men Want by Deborah Blumenthal. I am not that big a fan of Chick lit but I liked it alot.

It is about a newspaper reporter that is competing with a rival reporter for a big scoop while trying to hold onto her boyfriend while he is being seduced by a super-model. Surprisingly sweet and funny.

FORT Newbie

Wow I was shocked to see that this thread was still alive. Then again this is the frist time I"ve been here in FOREVER. I'm going to try and come back more often.
    I just finished reading Love the One You're With by Emily Griffin and it was awesome.
    I love the Meg Cabot series she had going. Esp. the Heather Wells and Queen of Babble Books.
    Anyone read anything really really good lately?

+ Reply to Thread