+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any chick lit type fans out there?

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I just finished "Everybody Worth Knowing" By Lauren Weinberger (SP) The author who wrote "The Devil wears Prada"
    I read it in oneday while in vacation in Palm Springs. It was fun and name-droppy...good vacation fun book.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Oh Tallulah...that's on my list to read. Glad to now it will be worth picking up on a lazy day.

Just finished Bergdorf Blondes by Plum Sykes. Very entertaining, sharp and witty in the same vein as Candace Bushnell - only I personally found this more enjoyable. Fun stuff.

Oh, and I never did get around to posting a comment on the new Jennifer Weiner, did I? It's been a while since I read it now, but I have to say it's slightly disappointing compared to her previous stuff. Not to worry, though: I said slightly. I felt the ending was a bit rushed, amongst other things. Still, there's plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, a Desperate Housewives-esque subplot and the heroine is just as real and relatable as, say, Cannie Shapiro. Do pick it up, but I'd wait for the paperback.

PS: It's called Goodnight, Nobody.

I'm now on the hunt for something new to read in the chicklit genre. Any suggestions, fellow chicklit devotees? I've read everything by Marian Keyes, Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner and Lisa Jewell. I think I'm in the mood for American chick lit, but it's not a must.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

giz
    Ah, Plum Sykes. I remember eons ago, reading an article about her and thinking what a great name that would be. Sadly my husband vetoed it for our daughter, and was also against Petula. Some people are no fun! Then our son suprised me by not being a Beatrice. I keep telling my daughter, I want to be the person at the orphanage who gets to choose the names.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    I'm now on the hunt for something new to read in the chicklit genre. Any suggestions, fellow chicklit devotees? I've read everything by Marian Keyes, Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner and Lisa Jewell. I think I'm in the mood for American chick lit, but it's not a must.
    You should try Meg Cabot. She writes completely in email, google, IM, journal type of writing, which at first I thought would be annoying. But it's really so interesting! You get to know all the characters by who they are and what they're thinking. It's really cute!

Has anyone read anything by Adele Parks? I picked up The Other Woman's Shoes at a bookstore today, and it seems like a light, fun, very British read. The story partially takes place in Shepherd's Bush, where my sister lived for over a year, and I love the fact that I recognise so many of the places. The perfect companion to that glass of Chardonnay I've been craving all day.

CallieCutie, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check out Meg Cabot.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot View Post
    I just adore Sophie Kinsella's books. I also have to alternate between chic lit and serious books because otherwise, I feel a little dumb.
    I also switch the lighter reading books with other kinds I like. Between Stephen Kings The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Dean Koontzs Life Expectency I read Can You Keep A Secret by Sophie Kinsella. It was perfect! But I don't see myself reading those books too often. I need less fluff in my life...but occasional fluff is good to pick up the mood!

MRD
    The book The Wedding Date was Hilarious. The movie, meh. But the book was great chick lit. I highly reccomend it, even tho I have no idea of the author.

Catherine Alliott is also good. LOVED the married man, but she has 2 others out too.

Do you consider Maeve Binchy and Rosamund Pilcher to be chick lit?
    I loved their books.

Love Jennifer Warner, Jennifer Cruise, Sophie Kinsella, Helen Fielding, Marian Keyes.

HATE Candace Busnell

Jeanne Ray is good too. Step Ball Change is my favorite and her other one is Julie and Romeo get lucky

Adriana Trigiani's triology is good: Milk Glass Moon, Big Stone Gap and Big Cherry Holler.

Does Diana Gabaldron count as chick lit or is she more historical fiction/romance because I LOVED her outlander series. The only real "romance" books I read because they weren't really bodice ripping romance stuff. Very interesting books about time travel, scotland, etc.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-12-2006 at 04:43 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

HATE Candace Busnell
    Now, now. I think her first two books were good reads ("Sex and the City" and "Four Blondes"). But I thought "Trading Up" was a snooze and I couldn't even get through "Lipstick Jungle." Ugh, it was sooooo bad I couldn't see wasting any more of my time on it...

You know, a long time ago some friends gave me a couple Jackie Collins books 'cause they thought it'd be funny. I read them and thought they weren't bad for what they were, but I tried to sell them to a used bookstore and he wouldn't take them. He said he couldn't give them away!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Now, now. I think her first two books were good reads ("Sex and the City" and "Four Blondes"). But I thought "Trading Up" was a snooze and I couldn't even get through "Lipstick Jungle." Ugh, it was sooooo bad I couldn't see wasting any more of my time on it...

You know, a long time ago some friends gave me a couple Jackie Collins books 'cause they thought it'd be funny. I read them and thought they weren't bad for what they were, but I tried to sell them to a used bookstore and he wouldn't take them. He said he couldn't give them away!
    I started with lipstick jungle and couldn't get past the first few pages. We didn't have HBO when Sex and the City was on, so I never saw the series to get into that either. But what turned me off of her was the Reality show last winter called: Wickedly Perfect and she was a judge and she was a pompous ass!
    Which I'm sure a lot of authors are, but ususally I don't get to see them in action, so I don't know it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread