+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any chick lit type fans out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Susan92645
    I highly recommend the book "Hit Reply" by Rocki St. Claire. It's written entirely in e-mail and instant message form, but surprisingly it works well and it flows. I read it in a day. It's for anyone who has seriously considered Googling an old flame, a first love, the "one that got away"....... You will not be disappointed.
    I too want toc check this out.....sounds like fun.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Critical, hope I didn't sound fascetious. I didn't mean it that way. You may be too busy to browse for chick-lit at the library (when you have free brain-time from textbooks). Our library lets us put holds on books from home, so if I'm short of time I only have to go in to pick up stuff.
    No worries, giz. I'm not so easily offended Unfortunately, I'm not a good person for library-type borrowing, since I tend to change my mind so quickly about what I want to read. In the past, when I borrow books from the library, I end up taking them back unread. Or paying a fine

The library book sale is probably the only place I'll find those types of books cheap enough for my tastes The only chick lit author whose books I'll pay retail for is probably Jane Green.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Has anyone read Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot?

I just finished readingThe Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot, and I finished it in a weekend! I enjoyed it

Anyone have any suggestions for any other books maybe? I already put Hit Reply in my amazon shopping cart, and for free shipping I need another book! HELP!

FORT Regular
    Giz:
    Hit Reply takes place in the U.S., can only assume it is by an American author. Enjoy!

Beerbelly:
    Hope you enjoy it....I think you will.

CallieCutie:
    I saw it in Barnes and Noble while I was killing time one evening, and couldn't put it down! Sure enough, it's an easy read but you will like it. Especially if you have some experience with IMing and Googling. Very hip and upbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan92645
    CallieCutie:
    I saw it in Barnes and Noble while I was killing time one evening, and couldn't put it down! Sure enough, it's an easy read but you will like it. Especially if you have some experience with IMing and Googling. Very hip and upbeat.
    Wait... are you talking about Hit Reply or Boy Meets Girl?

FORT Regular
    Hit Reply

With my ridiculously heavy workload for uni, I just had to read some chick lit this weekend. So, I picked up the new Candace Bushnell novel, Lipstick Jungle, and I found it much better than her previous stuff. Sure, the characters are about as believable and relatable as aliens in a sci-fi novel - EVERYONE makes $20 million a year, has VIP seats for the New York Fashion Week and pretty much rules Manhattan - but hence the fun. It reads a bit like a slightly mediocre Sex and the City episode, which isn't surprising since Bushnell created the characters. If you're looking for something light, breezy and throughly entertaining, this just might do the trick. If you're looking for something more solid, keep looking.

Other news in chick lit: I just ordered Goodnight, Nobody, the new novel from Jennifer Weiner, and can't wait to read it. It's supposed to be a bit different from her earlier work: it deals with murder in suburbia,Desperate Housewives style. Still, the sample chapter available on her website was trademark Jennifer Weiner, with a funny, relatable main character and good dialogue. Anyone else thinking of reading this? Normally, I would wait for the paperback, but I'm in dire need of something light and entertaining to make up for all the James Joyce I've had to read lately. (Nothing against James Joyce, but I like my literary "diet" to be balanced; a bit of candy to go with the broccoli, if you know what I mean.)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    With my ridiculously heavy workload for uni, I just had to read some chick lit this weekend. So, I picked up the new Candace Bushnell novel, Lipstick Jungle, and I found it much better than her previous stuff. Sure, the characters are about as believable and relatable as aliens in a sci-fi novel - EVERYONE makes $20 million a year, has VIP seats for the New York Fashion Week and pretty much rules Manhattan - but hence the fun. It reads a bit like a slightly mediocre Sex and the City episode, which isn't surprising since Bushnell created the characters. If you're looking for something light, breezy and throughly entertaining, this just might do the trick. If you're looking for something more solid, keep looking.
    Thanks!!! I was just looking on this thread last night for a new chick lit book to read

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl

Other news in chick lit: I just ordered Goodnight, Nobody, the new novel from Jennifer Weiner, and can't wait to read it. It's supposed to be a bit different from her earlier work: it deals with murder in suburbia,Desperate Housewives style. Still, the sample chapter available on her website was trademark Jennifer Weiner, with a funny, relatable main character and good dialogue. Anyone else thinking of reading this? Normally, I would wait for the paperback, but I'm in dire need of something light and entertaining to make up for all the James Joyce I've had to read lately. (Nothing against James Joyce, but I like my literary "diet" to be balanced; a bit of candy to go with the broccoli, if you know what I mean.)
    Do tell how you like it!! I am very curious....
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I'm gonna bump this thread up to the top of the forum

I've learned this great thing from my friend. She buys all her chick lit books on ebay. They come brand new and they're about $3-$4, with like $2.99 for shipping. Alot cheaper than $17

+ Reply to Thread