+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hemingway fans?

Hemingway fans?

I'm a complete and utter Hemingway fan, I LOVE love love his works, I love all of it that I have read so far & I always comb the bookstores looking for works I don't have yet (although I haven't read all the Hemingway books I have.)

My favorite Hemingway book is "The sun also rises" & I'm a huge fan of his short stories for sure.

Someone gave me a book of "Dashiell Hammett" and said that his writing was somewhat like Hemingway, & that he was someone who influenced Hemingway's writing... I'm just about to start reading it (It's a collection of 5 Hammett stories).

Anyhow...are there any other Hemingway fans here? (There MUST be.... lol....I can't imagine being the only Hemingway fan in a book thread... lol )
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

First of all, wow, what a name change! I didn't recognize you for a second.

You can count me in as a Hemingway fan, though I must be honest and say it's been a long while since I've read any of his work. In high school, I was a Faulkner kind of girl who started dating a Hemingway kind of guy, and he was the one who really taught me to appreciate the complexity that lay beneath Hemingway's economy of words.

The Sun Also Rises is also my favorite, though I also enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bells Toll and a few of his short stories whose titles I'm too senile to remember at the moment.

I haven't read any Dashiell Hammett, but I would love to--isn't he a noir writer? I've only seen the film adaptations of his books, like The Thin Man and Maltese Falcon, but those are excellent. Plus, I love the noir/hardboiled genre, for example I adore Raymond Chandler, so I will definitely check it out upon your recommendation.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

When I was in high school I read both The Old Man and The Sea and A
    Farewell To Arms. I enjoyed both, but have not read any other Hemingway
    books since.

+ Reply to Thread