+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any David Sedaris Fans?

Love David Sedaris--agree with others here that he is worth $30...I've actually driven a couple of hours on a school night to hear him talk.

Check out the Esquire magazine site, too...he has several essays posted there (they're a few years old, but some have appeared in different formats in some of his books).

Finally, because he often appears with her, I HIGHLY recommend Sarah Vowell as well. She also has a very distinctive voice that makes her enjoyable to listen to (go to www.thislife.org and look for a program entitled Music Lessons--all band geeks will totally relate to that story!). She's funny, but I would call her a little more political. I've used some of her essays with my students just because they're so well crafted. Look for a book called Take the Canolli.

I must read both "Me talk pretty" and "Dress your...". Everyone I know who has a good sense of humour keeps talking about how hysterically funny those books are. I suspect David Sedaris will provide a nice temporary vacation from the likes of Dante and Boccacio that I'm supposed to be reading right now.

Which one should I start with?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

GTG, I would recommend starting with Me Talk Pretty One Day or Naked. I don't think Dress Your Family... is the best starting point for a newcomer to David Sedaris.

Also, if you'd like to hear some of his essays read live, you can go the same link misscrispy pointed out above (www.thislife.org) and listen to shows of This American Life on which he performed for the low, low price of FREE, by searching for "David Sedaris". I would recommend "This American Life" anyway, it's a fantastic radio show of which I'm often singing praises.

ETA: I searched a bit for you already...I know it's a little late for Christmas, but the "Santaland Diaries" is classic, make-you-wet-yourself Sedaris:
    http://207.70.82.73/pages/descriptions/96/47.html

I love the Sedaris story of the members of his foreign language class attempting to explain the concept of Easter in bad, broken French in Act 5 of this particular episode (about 47 min in if you want to FF to it):
    http://207.70.82.73/pages/descriptions/99/148.html

"He call himself Jesus and then he die one day on two morsels of lumber..."

It's hilarious, and masterfully told. Hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 02-16-2005 at 06:18 AM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Wow, thanks so much Snowy! I'll go right ahead and read myself silly.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Newbie

Dress Your Family In corduroy is the best!

This is his best book!

It's due out in May in paperback!

Thanks for sharing the news, gerf. I can now buy the paperback and save myself a coupla quid!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I was in Chapters today and saw Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules
    I think it's a collection of his favorite short stories from various writers including one from Canadian Alice Munroe. I was in a rush but am interested if any of you Sedaris fans have read this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234