+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any David Sedaris Fans?

I read "Dress Your Family..." a few weeks ago. Definitely worth the time but not as laugh-out-loud funny as "Naked" and "Me Talk Pretty One Day" IMHO. There were a few stories in "Me Talk Pretty..." that had me in tears.

He has a way of writing about the ordinary, everyday things that makes them seem interesting even though they really aren't when they happen to you.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

LG.
    I read both Naked and Me Talk Pretty, but haven't read any others yet.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I started reading "Me Talk Pretty One Day," but I think I like his NPR essays better.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

A lot of his NPR essays were originally from his books, but it's true that they are especially funny to hear him present them himself. That's why I highly recommend seeing him live.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

You guys have definitely gotten me interested in this author. Gonna go out this weekend and find some David Sedaris books.....which one to start?
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I would start with either Naked or Me Talk Pretty One Day. I think they're both great introductions to his work.

If you'd just like a little sample, there's the seasonally-appropriate Holidays on Ice. This is a collection of all his Christmas-related stories, like the classic "SantaLand Diaries" (trust me, you will be when you read this). Even though these are available elsewhere, I keep this book out when this season rolls around, so I can just pick something at random to read when I need a hearty laugh.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Count me in as a David Sedaris fan as well. I have all his books except for the aforementioned new one.

I actually just saw him live two weeks ago here in Philly. He was hilarious, and it was a delight to see him live. For the person who is contemplating seeing him, it is well worth the money I think. The story he told live about his boil had me crying I was laughing so hard. I think it will be in the New Yorker soon, so keep a look out if you can't see him live.

Now that I have seen him live, I am trying to surpress my shopaholic tendencies to go and buy all of his books on cd.

Definately one of my favorite authors.

Quote Originally Posted by weezerette
    Now that I have seen him live, I am trying to surpress my shopaholic tendencies to go and buy all of his books on cd.
    OMG, weezerette, I know just what you mean. Like my trigger finger is itching over the One-Click Purchase Button for:

The David Sedaris Box Set
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Need...to curb...compulsive spending habit...Must...not...press "Buy Now"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    OMG, weezerette, I know just what you mean. Like my trigger finger is itching over the One-Click Purchase Button for:

The David Sedaris Box Set
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Need...to curb...compulsive spending habit...Must...not...press "Buy Now"!!!
    Snowflakegirl, I am very familiar with that box set right there. I've already bid on it...twice...on ebay. Luckily I have not won the auction yet, because then money would then be involved.

Turn off the 1 click buying! It is the devil! Sometimes I will compress my compulsive spending habit because I'm too lazy to go get my credit card number to buy something. But...if some stranger sends me $50 through paypal, I will overcome the laziness.

Aah, to be poor (read: in college and car loan debt) and a book nerd, the horror.

I posted above that I'd never heard David Sedaris on the radio. Well, now I have. I was driving and flipping the dial, and came across NPR, and there was someone talking, in the middle of telling a long story about their sister and the sister's parrot. I thought it was a woman. I must have listened for 15 minutes, picturing some middle-aged woman, until finally the speaker mentioned a sister Amy and a brother Paul, and I thought, "Wait. I've heard of these people. Amy... Paul... a parrot... David Sedaris."
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast