+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King/Song of Susannah

Stephen King/Song of Susannah

According to Amazon.com "Song of Susannah" (the Dark Tower Book 6) is being released on June 8th. The Editorial review is very intriguing, but I won't repeat what they say here for those of you who want to be surprised. I WILL say there are some rather strange plot twists... I can't wait!

And for those of you who procrastinate, the review says the seventh and last book, Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower will be out in a few short months.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

What?! It's upon us?! I hadn't even realized. Thanks for the update, Dinahann! I loved Wolves of the Calla. I'll have to go ahead and put myself on the list for this one at my library.
    *runs off to check Amazon.com's review*
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    What?! It's upon us?! I hadn't even realized. Thanks for the update, Dinahann! I loved Wolves of the Calla. I'll have to go ahead and put myself on the list for this one at my library.
    *runs off to check Amazon.com's review*
    You're welcome. The Amazon price is $20.40, so I may be putting my name on the library list, too.

Okay, now I'm spamming myself. I bought this book on Tuesday and tried to spread it out over the four day weekend that ends tomorrow for me. I just finished it and I can't wait for someone else to read and discuss it with. Unfortunately no one else in my family, and none of my friends, are Steve King fans - go figure- so I don't have anyone to talk about it with.

I LOVED it. The plot takes a bizarre twist along the way - you won't believe it 'til you read it. My hubby came home and I was reading the last few pages, tears dripping down my cheeks. He just laughed, because he knows how emotional I get. This book has really shaken me up! It is sooo worth buying if you have any of the other Dark Tower books.

Dinahann,
    I was on my way to pick up Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz this week end when I was suddenly distracted by Song of Susannah, so I got that instead. I am about 2/3 of the way through. I can't wait to finish it and discuss it, 'specially the part where 'you know who' becomes a part of it.

Great! I can't wait for you to finish and tell me what you thought!

Dinahann, now I'm wondering if I should take out a S. King book next. You make such great suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Dinahann, now I'm wondering if I should take out a S. King book next. You make such great suggestions!
    Thanks, Eldee! Have you read the others in the series? If so you've got to read this one.... King is known for his vivid imagination, and I think he's outdone himself on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Thanks, Eldee! Have you read the others in the series? If so you've got to read this one.... King is known for his vivid imagination, and I think he's outdone himself on this one.
    I didn't know that there was a series for this. Could you post which books are part of that series and maybe which order they should be read in? Pretty please.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    I didn't know that there was a series for this. Could you post which books are part of that series and maybe which order they should be read in? Pretty please.
    Sure, but I warn you these books are different from anything else King has done, although in about half of his books he makes reference to some aspect of the Dark Tower, either through characterizations or physical places. King has said that this series is the ultimate story that he's meant to tell and I believe it.
    1. The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower Book 1)
    2. The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower Book 2)
    3. The Wastelands (The Dark Tower Book 3)
    4. Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower Book 4)
    5. Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower Book 5)
    6. Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower Book 6)
    7. The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower 7)

King has described the series as a cross between fantasy and spaghetti western. If you've read The Stand, The Talisman, The Regulators, It, Hearts in Atlantis, 'Salems' Lot, The Eyes of the Dragon, or Rose Madder (and probably more that I can't remember off hand), you've read about some of the characters in The Dark Tower series. The books are actually based upon the poem by Robert Browning, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came. Very interesting. I think King read the poem as a teen and could never get it out of his head. What a fertile imagination.

The books really should be read in order. The first line in the first book,
    "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.", captured my attention and I have waited impatiently for each successive episode to unfold. He has wavered, at times, in his writing of the books. The first short story from The Gunslinger was published in 1978), and his fans wondered if he would ever finish the series. Now it seems it is already completed, with the final book to come out in September. I do highly recommend these books, but it is a huge commitment to make if you've never read any of them. That said, they are certainly worthwhile reading. The series will end with a bang, and with all worlds being saved, I am sure (I hope!).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast