+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King/Song of Susannah

I picked it up at the library this morning! I can't wait to start on it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I hope you like it. I've decided to reread the earlier books because I tend to forget things like minor characters. I can't wait for the final book!
    I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I hope you like it. I've decided to reread the earlier books because I tend to forget things like minor characters. I can't wait for the final book!

I did just that with the book # 5. I started to read it and realized I'd forgotten so much so went on a marathon reading session. I was glad I did too.

You're going to love this one. I can't wait for the final one either. I'm now only 30 pages away from the ending and it's killing me. Can't wait to get home to finish it.
    Member of the Optimistic Pessimist Club

I'm done!
    I liked it a lot. Of course I hate the cliffhanger ending, but I'm waiting with bated breath for the next one. (are there two left? Or one?)
    The most interesting thing, to me, was King inserting himself into it. I wonder how much of that coda was true? Or rather, I wonder how much was not true?
    Anyway, I'm ready to discuss.

The ending just blew me away. I don't know how much to discuss without spoiling it, but I don't see how King was able to use the actual name of the man that hit him, Bryan Smith, especially since Mr. Smith died in reality.

It's been well documented, and admitted by King himself, that he has a very heavy drinker and smoker of all sorts of substances. He no longer is, BTW, but I don't think he's particularly ashamed about it, just lifestyle changes he made as he grew older.

I was enthralled by the Coda. Many critics are "on the fence" about whether or not it was a savvy move on King's part to write himself into the book, but I think it worked out well.

Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I'm done!
    I liked it a lot. Of course I hate the cliffhanger ending, but I'm waiting with bated breath for the next one. (are there two left? Or one?)
    The most interesting thing, to me, was King inserting himself into it. I wonder how much of that coda was true? Or rather, I wonder how much was not true?
    Anyway, I'm ready to discuss.
    Sorry for the double post. The last book, Dark Tower VII, The Dark Tower, is due out on September. Not long to wait.

I liked the ending too, Dinahann. I'm with you -- I think King putting himself in the story was a great and intruiguing twist. I was actually more interested in that, by the end, than I really was in the rest of the story. I also think that, and the coda, says a lot about how he views his role as a writer and the teller of these stories. I did not know the man who hit him has since died.

So where did the rest of you people go? Should we just decide to put spoiler warnings at the top of posts and go ahead and discuss the book here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    The ending just blew me away. I don't know how much to discuss without spoiling it, but I don't see how King was able to use the actual name of the man that hit him, Bryan Smith, especially since Mr. Smith died in reality.
    I didn't know that Stephen King had actually been hit by a car. I just knew he wasn't dead, since he was writing the book. Is the article posted in the end in fact from an actual newspaper?

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    I didn't know that Stephen King had actually been hit by a car. I just knew he wasn't dead, since he was writing the book. Is the article posted in the end in fact from an actual newspaper?
    Parts of it are factual, but I'm sure that's not the actual article since he didn't die . He WAS hit by a van, and he did spend a long time in the hospital and an even longer time in recovery. I think it's been about 4 years now. He was in pretty bad shape - had broken bones... Here is the article from cnn on it:
    http://www.cnn.com/books/news/9906/20/stephen.king.02/

And here is the article about the driver that hit him dying about a year later:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/books/news/0...g.accident.ap/

It really is kind of spooky.

Spoilers Galore

A few of my reactions:

1. The cliffhanger, of course, left my jaw on the floor. Yes, it's creepy the way King was able to write his own obituary, but who hasn't wondered about his or her own funeral? Whether it's distracting in his novels or not, King has been preoccupied with his own mortality since the accident, and it shows in his books. (See: Dreamcatcher.) I think it's distracting, but I'm going to cut him a break. Something like that has got to be the origin of a thousand nightmares.

I don't remember when, but there came a point in the last couple of years that King started to become fascinated with the art of Writing and started taking more seriously questions like, "Where do my ideas come from?"

The ending, in my humble opinion, is King's way of giving the readers a nyah-nyah in terms of the Tower. Show of hands: How many of you thought, "Aw, great, if he dies, how will the Dark Tower finish?" after the initial shock and concern wore off? Oh, come on. Admit it. I did. King knows it, too. And, so, the penultimate chapter in King's odyssey ends not with an action-oriented cliffhanger, but an even better one--How can the story end if the writer is dead?

The answer, I think, is that King's characters and King's story lives on even if he's not there to tell it. If he had died, god forbid, before finishing DT, we would have been forced to imagine the ending for ourselves. In that way, the ka-tet will have the power to end their quest.

2. How many of you wanted to throw the book against the wall every time Susannah visited the Dogan? I did. I hate TV shows, movies, books, whatever where a character's mind is represented by a physical place. I think it's a cop-out, a way of writing a character's pain and suffering without having to do the hard work of writing the pain and suffering. Blah.

3. I'm one of those geeky fans who hasn't forgotten the little boy from the end of Insomnia, the one prophesied to "save the lives of Roland and Eddie" at a critical moment in their quest. I don't think that even King knew at the time how this would come about, but I hope we see it before the end. It was a wonderful moment in Insomnia, and I've been waiting seven years for the payoff. (I also remember thinking at the time, "Just Roland and Eddie? I guess Susannah, Jake and Oy are dead by this time." Now I know better.)

4. The revelation that Roland has never promised to save the Tower (and doesn't think he can) was brilliant. It's an adequate explanation for why Roland is obsessed with the Tower but fears that Eddie, Susannah and Jake would try to kill him if they discovered his true intentions. Brilliant. It's right up there with the revelation that the Crimson King is imprisoned in the Tower, and why people they run into both curse and praise the Tower.

5. I always thought the Tower was a place that, once entered, contained doors connecting all of King's stories and characters (not unlike The Matrix Reloaded?). ("There are other worlds than this.") I also thought that Roland's world was the world of The Stand about a thousand years down the road. O discordia!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast