+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: Entertaining Right Wing book

WANTED: Entertaining Right Wing book

I love reading about history and politics. I've been mostly reading liberal and vastly left books. Some I have learned a thing or two, even changed my perspectives on certain views, and others just found entertaining. I'm looking for a recommendation from the "other side" that doesn't present itself like a textbook. I want to keep my view fair and balanced but right now it's a little difficult due to my long list of lefty books. Any help would be much appreciated.

This should get you started:

Ann Coulter--'Treason' and 'Slander' (a must)

Bill O'Reilley--'The O'Reilley Factor' (not labeled a conservative, but leans to the right and a great read!)

Col. Robert Patterson--'Dereliction of Duty' (behind the scenes look at the Clinton regime)

Rush Limbaugh--'The Way Things Ought To Be'

I would avoid Sean Hannity's book, 'Let Freedom Ring'. I had to put toothpicks in my eyes to keep them open. Booooring. Not to mention he repeats the same thing over and over.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Thanks for the recommendations, speedbump, I actually was considering 'The O'Reilly Factor' because I like him and his show. Thank you for the recommendations.

WomynLee, this probably isn't really what you're looking for, but I love this book so much I had to plug it: "All's Fair" by Mary Matalin and James Carville. It's a view of the 1992 presidential race from the view of Matalin, who worked for Bush, and her now-husband Carville, who worked for Clinton. It's rather inside-baseball and doesn't dwell much on issues (and it does have quite a bit about their relationship, which was complicated by the fact that they were key insiders on opposing campaigns), but I thought it was a fascinating read.
    Last edited by Lucy; 05-20-2004 at 12:37 AM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by WomynLee
    I love reading about history and politics. I've been mostly reading liberal and vastly left books. Some I have learned a thing or two, even changed my perspectives on certain views, and others just found entertaining. I'm looking for a recommendation from the "other side" that doesn't present itself like a textbook. I want to keep my view fair and balanced but right now it's a little difficult due to my long list of lefty books. Any help would be much appreciated.
    WomynLee, was reading your request and something came to mind. I actually haven't read this book but have heard some interesting reviews. It is called Voice of Reason, Why the Left and Right are wrong. It is written by a local radio host here in SF named Ronn Owens. For the record, he is Democrat but really does take the right side or middle road on some issues and the extreme left on others. I do listen to him and he does have a really interesting point of view. I must admit, I personally fall into that liberal/left point of view but I also enjoy hearing how others view things and why. Anyway, haven't read it myself but thought it might fit into your current reading category. Hope that helped.

Leo
    Premium Member
    I have been looking for any interesting books in this category - thanks for the recommendations.

And I agree with Lucy's recommendation - All's Fair is a good read, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    WomynLee, this probably isn't really what you're looking for, but I love this book so much I had to plug it: "All's Fair" by Mary Matalin and James Carville. It's a view of the 1992 presidential race from the view of Matalin, who worked for Bush, and her now-husband Carville, who worked for Clinton. It's rather inside-baseball and doesn't dwell much on issues (and it does have quite a bit about their relationship, which was complicated by the fact that they were key insiders on opposing campaigns), but I thought it was a fascinating read.
    What a wonderful recommendation...definitely something I would read.
    I appreciate everyone's recommendations, thank you. I'm about to go on a book binge...
    Last edited by WomynLee; 05-24-2004 at 07:28 AM.

Womyn-

After you read O'Reilley's and Coulter's books, read Al Franken's "Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them". From one extreme to another, it's interesting to see how Franken points out inconsistency's.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Womyn-

After you read O'Reilley's and Coulter's books, read Al Franken's "Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them". From one extreme to another, it's interesting to see how Franken points out inconsistency's.
    And also Michael Moore's "Dude, Where's my Country".
    Sorry I can't help with an entertaining Right wing book lol, I guess I haven't read one
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Tom Clancy is pretty conservative, I like his books for the entertainment value, but sometimes the views he sneaks in there irritate me to no end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast