+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: light humourous book for the summer

Waiting..for the wolves Great Pyr's Avatar
    Tourist Season by Carl Hiassen is one of my all time faves. All of his stuff
    is wonderfull. Tom

Oh, I'll second that on Carl Hiassen, can't believe I didn't think of him. His books are great.
    And I was in tears laughing at Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty One Day".
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I agree with Bamafabulous' Shopaholic series. It's funny and entertaining, and the style quite similar to Bridget Jones.

One thing about it is that sometimes the lead character Backy may come off as a little irritating, but other than that, it's very good for a light read.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

Read Diary of the Mad Mom-To-Be. It's one of the funniest books I've ever read. But I've never experienced pregnancy myself, so I wouldn't know if it's a bad portrayal of one or not.
    Gustav Holst was right!

A Monk Swimming - Malachy McCourt (brother to, y'know, the Frank of Angela's Ashes fame.) Pretty much a raucous joyride. Hilarity tempered with the occasional sad moments. Name-dropping, including a Dotty Parker cameo. Gold-smuggling in India, and plenty of beer.

I bet Malachy McCourt and Mordecai Richler can exchange notes on how to become the best jolly old bastard around.

I recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Though I don't think it's like Bridget Jones' diary, I do think it's pretty humorous!
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I actually like Helen Fieldings "Cause Celeb" even more than the Bridget Jones books.

Jennifer Crusie's books are all good but lately the characters have been kind of blending together.

Oliva Goldsmith is a very satisfying read, but I'm still kind of shocked by her death...
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Here are some real easy reads:

The Devil Wears Prada - Super funny. I worked in the apparel industry for many years and just thought it was hysterical.

Shopgirl by Steve Martin - I read it in one night. Great book.

I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson - Good book. Both funny and sad. Particularly if you have children but that is not a prequisite to enjoy the book.

Happy Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    Here are some real easy reads:

The Devil Wears Prada - Super funny. I worked in the apparel industry for many years and just thought it was hysterical.

Shopgirl by Steve Martin - I read it in one night. Great book.

I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson - Good book. Both funny and sad. Particularly if you have children but that is not a prequisite to enjoy the book.

Happy Reading!
    "The Devil wears Prada" was wickedly funny!

"Shopgirl" was also very good. It is being made into a movie with Claire Danes, who will be perfect in the role. I saw Ray Porter (the older man that Mirabelle has a relationship with) as another incarnation of Steve. Not flattering, and perhaps more truthful than he cares to admit.

Martin has another, newer book out, BTW, called "The Pleasure of my Company" that's also a little wacky and very poignant. It's about a young man with OCD and his life (mostly spent watching from the window of his apartment since he's unable to cross the street). Really a good book - very simple and uncomplicated. Steve Martin is a surprisingly elegant author.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Thanks again for all the great recs. I'm set for the rest of the summer! I went to a nearby bookstore and just looked through whichever ones were available there. I didn't really had time to leaf through everything but in the end I picked up two books (for now).

I finished Confessions of a Shopaholic last week, it was pretty enjoyable, though at times I just wanted to slap the girl and tell her to wake up (I'm the exact opposite of her). Now I'm reading In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner. It seems more like a serious novel so far but it is a good read.
    "Just kiss my toes and I'll be happy." - Dex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast