+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Reading for School

Summer Reading for School

I just wanted to ask all of the students here...what does you guys have to read over the summer for next year?

For AP English Literature, I have to read King Lear (Shakespeare), Catch-22 (Heller), and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Joyce). I'm worried because they're pretty lengthy...gotta start soon!

Snellville... hometown of music's next big superstar.
    Well, I'm taking AP English Literature next year too (AP English 12). We haven't gotten our summer reading assignments yet though.
    YDiana DeGarmo One VoiceY

She dreamed... the impossible dream. She fought the unbeatable foe.
    She's still standing better than she ever did...

This is it! This time I know it's for real.

MY AMERICAN IDOL
    Did you think this fool could never win? Look at her, she's coming back again!

I never had summer reading lists while in school. And I never will again, because have I mentioned that I'm graduating from college next week? Don't think I've mentioned that enough times.
    Good luck with the reading! You probably should get started!

I've already ordered them...not sure when they'll be delivered though. I intend to start as soon as school's out. K&C, did you take AP English Language this year? If so, what'd you think of the exam?

Quote Originally Posted by Mdrio9
    I've already ordered them...not sure when they'll be delivered though. I intend to start as soon as school's out. K&C, did you take AP English Language this year? If so, what'd you think of the exam?
    Well I thought that the multiple choice was okay but two out of my three essays were below par. We did a lot of practice essays in class, but I wasn't really prepared to do three in a row. I'm guessing I'll get a two, three if I'm lucky. You?

MY AMERICAN IDOL

I agree, the multiple choice wasn't so bad. As for the essays, my teacher always referred to argument ones as "Question #3." So, I was expecting an argument as the third essay, but it was actually #2...and it wasn't even really an argument. I hope I did well. We had a mock exam a few weeks before, and I got a 5 on that. I don't think I did as well on the real thing. How about paying $8 just to hear your grades over the phone? What a ripoff!

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I know we have to read 2 books and 1 for extra credit. I just don't know what they are yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdrio9
    I agree, the multiple choice wasn't so bad. As for the essays, my teacher always referred to argument ones as "Question #3." So, I was expecting an argument as the third essay, but it was actually #2...and it wasn't even really an argument. I hope I did well. We had a mock exam a few weeks before, and I got a 5 on that. I don't think I did as well on the real thing. How about paying $8 just to hear your grades over the phone? What a ripoff!
    Yeah the argument wasn't hard at all-- I just did it last and had less time. We had only done one in class (and that was in December) so I'm glad it wasn't very in-depth. $8... sheesh. I think they said they mail them in July. I'm not even going to care then.

MY AMERICAN IDOL

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I haven't received a reading list for AP American History or Honors English 11, yet... I know that Catch-22, Night, and The Red Badge of Courage are on the list, though. We get EC for reading anything from the series that includes A Stillness At Appomatox. Those are kinda slow-starting but fairly good reads if you're really attentive and have time to read/re-read the novels. I don't do much over the summer so it works out for me.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    I haven't received a reading list for AP American History or Honors English 11, yet... I know that Catch-22, Night, and The Red Badge of Courage are on the list, though.

IX-

Red Badge of Courage was madatory for my AP American History as well. That was 16 years ago...glad to see some of the same readings are still required. I actually watched both movie versions (one with Audie Murphy and the other with Richard Thomas a.k.a. John Boy Walton) before I read the book.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast