+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Reading for School

Whoa...AP US History. Good luck to you, ixcrisxi. I just took that AP on Friday. That class is so hard. I bet you'll do way better than I did though. I'm just glad the exam's over...I was a ticking stress-bomb the week beforehand. I had to read Profiles in Courage by JFK for APUSH last summer. That was pretty boring. I think I would have rather read The Red Badge of Courage like you guys. Just hope you don't have to read anything by William Faulkner like The Unvanquished or A Light in August. I can't stand stream of consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdrio9
    For AP English Literature, I have to read King Lear (Shakespeare), Catch-22 (Heller), and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Joyce). I'm worried because they're pretty lengthy...gotta start soon!
    King Lear is a great tragedy, one of my favorite works by Shakespeare. I enjoyed Catch-22; it's very relevant to our world today. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is actually quite short. I think that's a great reading list. Good luck with your AP classes, everyone... I think the College Board is an evil institution, but getting ahead in college credits is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdrio9
    Catch-22 (Heller),
    My favorite book You will laugh so hard you'll cry. Enjoy!!
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    There is going to be an AP U.S. History meeting Friday afterschool to get our official summer reading lists and everything. I won't get my Honors English 11/AP English lists until I take my Honors English 10 final. I have to read a bunch on French culture and history for French II, also. I've started with Diderot: The Embattled Philosopher by Lester G. Crocker. it starts out okay for a biography.

I'm going to read up on a ton of different philosophers this summer to prepare for the next Forensics (Speech/Debate) season. I'm going to Lincoln-Douglas Debate. It's hard but I think it'll be really fun!
    Last edited by ixcrisxi; 05-10-2004 at 07:16 PM.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Ohhh with your knowledge on the Lincoln-Douglas debate, you'll also do well in APUSH. Specific information like that is vital. So, you're gonna do great in it.

I'm glad I don't have to read anything for US Government or anything.

Well, the list was just given to me and I have to read: Julius Caesar (Wm. Shakespeare), Great Expectations (Charles Dickens), 1984 (George Orwell), Miracle at Philadelphia (Catherine Bowen), The Age of Jackson (Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.), The Impending Crisis (David Potter), This Hallowed Ground (Bruce Catton), The American Mind (Henry Steel Commager), Rough Riders (Theodore Roosevelt), The Jungle (Upton Sinclair), Theodore Rex (Edmund Morris), The Great Crash 1929 (John Kenneth Galbraith), The New Deal (Paul Conkin), Thirteen Days (Robert Kennedy), An Hour Before Daylight (Jimmy Carter), and An American Life (Ronald Reagan). The first three are for Honors English 11 and the others are for AP American History.

Ugh! Ah well... I've nothing to do this summer but it around, play video games and watch t.v. I guess I could start and finish all this reading (along with the essays and data sheets that need to be written up) in my spare time... You know , that spare time between sleeping, eating, and being lazy.

Btw, The June Reading List for the Book Club will also incorporate the May list since I never had a chance to post the May list. Sorry about that! If you'd like to hear that story, just PM or e-mail me and I'll tell you all about it!

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Value recommendations from ixcrisxi She recommends good books

Thanks, lalol.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

ok I have been out of school way too long... what does AP stand for?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    ok I have been out of school way too long... what does AP stand for?
    Advance Placement

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast