+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga and other things that won't get you laid

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I gotta be honest, dude. I fell asleep during the film. BUT, granted, I did not read the graphic novel.
    Aw, heck, man! That makes me nervous. I trust your judgement implicitly. Were you just coming off a long shift or something? I would like to see how accurately the film reflects the book so I might have that working for me. And I've heard good things until now. I'll cross my fingers that just this once, you and I don't agree perfectly on something, my friend. I'll let you know after I see the flick. In the meantime, I recommend the novel.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Regular
    I've been going to yard sales and auctions for a couple of years now, and comic books are among the things I am looking for. I have many, many comics, and don't even really know how much their worth is.

If you are looking for something, I will comb through my stacks to see if I have it. These are mostly DC and Marvel comics, and Image.

I bought several Sandman comics years ago, when that was a new thing. I also used to read Hate comics.

Spent years of my youth deeply engrossed in 70s and 80s issues of Mad and Crack'd Magazine, still have many.

I know more about Archie comics than anyone I have ever met. There was a cartoon in the early 80s about the Riverdale gang as pre-teens, but it really sucked and most of us the right age have effectively blocked the memory. I know nothing of a show about them as adults. And I am sure someone out there does not realize the characters of Sabrina, Salem, and the aunts from the Sabrina the Teenage Witch series and cartoon were lifted straight out of the pages of Archie and bastardized. My favorite character were Betty and Jughead.

FORT Regular
    Forgot to say...these days the only comic I buy is Batman, any incarnation of Batman, but only if the Joker is in it.

I love comics. I was a faithful fan of the X-men, and some other Marvel comics, but X-men was my thing.

And on the kiddy side, I love Mickey Mouse comics , but only the Finnish versions, the translators are superb. And I love the Italian original Paperinik (Superduck), where Donald Duck is a superhero.

On a more "grown up side", I like this comic Viivi and Wagner, its about a woman and a chauvinist pig living together:

Viivi: Should we make New Years promises?
    Wagner the Pig: Suppose so.

Wagner the Pig: I promise to concentrate only on myself.
    Viivi:That you dare!!

Viivi: I promise to help people and animals!!!!
    Wagner the Pig:Go ahead. Just don't yell.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by happydude
    Spent years of my youth deeply engrossed in 70s and 80s issues of Mad and Crack'd Magazine, still have many.
    This was a question that came up at the office the other day. Did any girls read Mad Magazine religiously? I don't mean the odd one-off purchase, although even that seems unlikely. I was a fanatic Mad Magazine reader, and I just think the magazine was tailored for and targeted to boys. So I'm just curious if any girls read it, too.

Do they still publish Mad? Is it any good these days? I figure all the old artists like Don Martin, Al Jaffe, Antonio Prohias, Dave Berg, etc. etc. must be dead or retired by now.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Do they still publish Mad? Is it any good these days? I figure all the old artists like Don Martin, Al Jaffe, Antonio Prohias, Dave Berg, etc. etc. must be dead or retired by now.
    Mad magazine is still published. Last year i suddenly started getting them in the mail. My brother got me a subscription because we both used to read them as kids. The style was very similar to what i remembered, and quite a few of the old features are still there. (I love "Mad looks at...") Go ahead, get a Subscription, very few things have so poinently brough back my childhood as recieving Alfred E Newman in my mailbox. Or do like my brother did, and get someone else a subscription, and don't tell them you did it. It will drive them nuts trying to figure out where Alfred came from
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Should I just give you my address then and let you pay it forward?

Aw, heck, man! That makes me nervous. I trust your judgement implicitly. Were you just coming off a long shift or something?
    First of all, Paulie, thanks. You've always steered me right, too. (After all, who do I have to thank for, among other things, the fact I enjoy a breakfast Hot Pocket every morning as soon as I get into work? Paulie, that's who. "Mahalo, brother," I say every morning before I take a bite. Then the boss comes by and asks, "Who are you talking to?" Me: "Uh, nobody." Boss: "Are you imagining your Internet friends in your head again?" Me: "...Yes." But I digress.)

Come to think of it, yeah, I might have been trying to watch RtP after a very long day at work. There I was, going through the new Netflix movies in my hot little hands. I waited until after the gf was asleep before popping it into my DVD player, all giddy in anticipation of that senses-shattering symbolism and knee-buckling nihilism.

Twenty minutes later, I was snoring on the couch with the dog asleep on my belly snoring in unison with me.

If I run across the book, I'll be sure to read it, based on your recommendation.

And, yes, I'll give the film another try, too.

(Say hey, man, did you ever end up watching Withnail & I or getting ahold of any of the Jonah Hex books?)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

This was a question that came up at the office the other day. Did any girls read Mad Magazine religiously?
    I'm going out on a limb here, but my guess is "no." After all, how else do you rationalize that guys like this (ie me) just weren't getting any action in high school? My guess is that the secret to being a hit with the ladies didn't exist inside the pages of Mad, D&D handbooks or my Super Nintendo. Being a Level 13 elf-mage? Strength: 3/Dexterity: 9/Intelligence: 14/Seduction of opposite sex: -2.
    Last edited by phat32; 08-13-2004 at 02:37 AM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

You were a Level 13?!?

I looked for Jonah Hex at the bookstore a couple weeks ago and struck out. I'll have to buy it on-line, I think.

I don't remember the Withnail and I discussion. Can you refresh my memory, please?

*kicking myself for searching for the secrets of love in Mad magazine and the Dungeon Master's Guide*

+ Reply to Thread